RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger LCP

Ruger LCP

I'd been wanting a "Pocket Pistol" for quite some time and decided on the Ruger. Now, I'm fully aware that one does not want a no safety pistol with a light trigger in their pocket but I would much prefer a bit lighter trigger and a 1911 slide lock safety to this extremely heavy LCP trigger. If I had to defend myself with this little 380 the assailant had better be close. Gp

Boolit Master

Been carrying LCP v.1 for the longest time.
    Not easy to shoot though with the long DA trigger & light frame but always there when the need arise.
    If you want a mini 1911-style, sig, kimber & even springfield have some sort of a pocket version in 380acp, most priced as much as 2x to 3x the LCP.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    Don't mean to be rude, but, if you wanted a 1911 feel then why didn't you get a 1911 style pocket pistil?

The LCP is like many others and is striker fired so you get more of a DA revolver feel from the trigger. No side safety is needed for the same reason. It just means more things to break or not work.

I understand why you would want a more 1911 feel as I felt the same way for a long time. Now days I love my striker fired semi-autos, and revolvers. Took me a while to get used to not having an external safety but now consider them just as safe, if not more so, than a side safety pistol.

Sent from my SM-P580 using Tapatalk

Good points guys. Price point was a big consideration in purchasing the Ruger as it fills a special need being so concealable. I still maintain that the trigger is just too heavy. Carried in a pocket holster or something like a "Sneaky Pete" there would be very little danger of putting a hole in your leg even with 3 or so less lbs. of pull weight. Just my opinion, everybody has one. Gp

Boolit Master
    I Tried out the LCP and I also tried Kel-tec PF9. I chose the pf9 Better trigger, it’s 9 mm not 380, it fits just fine in my pocket. Oh yeah and did I say it’s about the a third of cost for a Ruger. I have no problems doting the eyes on a silhouette target at 15+ yards. Don’t get me wrong I love my Ruger’s but I’m quite fond of this Kel-tec also!
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Master
    Well, I guess the price won out over trigger pull weight.

And I had an error in there. The LCP was not striker fired. It has a hammer that is held at kind of a half cock. The trigger pull moves the hammer the rest of the way back and releases it, like a DA revolver. So, it is more of a DA only semi-auto than a striker fired.

The LCP II has a SA style hammer and safety built into the trigger and the trigger is supposed to be much better. If you have an LCP II then you might see of a gunsmith can smooth it up. Of course, by then you may be spending more than a Sig would have cost in the first place.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I Tried out the LCP and I also tried Kel-tec PF9. I chose the pf9 Better trigger, it’s 9 mm not 380, it fits just fine in my pocket. Oh yeah and did I say it’s about the a third of cost for a Ruger. I have no problems doting the eyes on a silhouette target at 15+ yards. Don’t get me wrong I love my Ruger’s but I’m quite fond of this Kel-tec also!
    I bought my LCP back in the days for $199 nib, you got a steal for your PF9 if you really bought it for less than $70.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig556r View Post
    I bought my LCP back in the days for $199 nib, you got a steal for your PF9 if you really bought it for less than $70.
    I don’t understand your quote. Where in my post did I say I paid $70 for my PF9 ?
    When I bought mine I paid right around $220 for myPf9. LCP’s were going for close to $600 in my area . OK so I exaggerated a little I should’ve got my calculator out to come up with the exact percentage sorry please except my humble apologies !

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    My micro carry choice is my Kel-Tec P32. It is DAO but the trigger pull is more light and smooth than the LCP I used to have.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    My micro carry choice is my Kel-Tec P32. It is DAO but the trigger pull is more light and smooth than the LCP I used to have.
    That is the way I went as well, except mine is my daily carry.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by poppy42 View Post
    I don’t understand your quote. Where in my post did I say I paid $70 for my PF9 ?
    When I bought mine I paid right around $220 for myPf9. LCP’s were going for close to $600 in my area . OK so I exaggerated a little I should’ve got my calculator out to come up with the exact percentage sorry please except my humble apologies !
    No offense meant sir, just basing your quote of a third of the cost of LCP for what I paid mine. Turned out its more than a LCP.
    Not sure which area you're from but if they're charging $600 for a pocket gun that costs mostly less than $300 elsewhere...

Boolit Master
    I know that’s the way it is prices vary . I suppose I could’ve found an lcp on gun broker or some other Internet site a lot cheaper but I won’t buy a gun I’m planning on carrying site on scene I don’t have that kind of money ! When I buy a gun I’m planning on carrying I got to be able to hold it cycle it and if it all possible rent one just like it before I pay for it . All this is kind a mute point. I’m not trying to knock Ruger my full size Carrie is an SR nine I love it . I’ve always preferred Ruger‘s . It just so happens the LC nine didn’t fit me I didn’t like the trigger I didn’t like the price and I like the Kel- tec better that’s all I was trying to say. And I’m certainly not looking to get into mine is better than yours discussion so I’ll leave this post now just trying to say What worked for me. And offering a suggestion as to what else to try . Take care and have a good day

Boolit Master
    I got a LCP when they first came out,, and yes,, the trigger is heavy & hard to pull. BUT,,, I shot a plate rack of 8" plates from 15 yds. the very first time I tried it. I hit 5 out of 6 the first run. They CAN be accurate,, but it takes a bit of work to understand the trigger & keep the sights focused.
    The LCPII addresses the heavy trigger & is easier to use. Maybe that would be the answer to your issues.

And as for cost,, the LCP, in 380,, has always been under $300 in any place I've seen them, or even advertised. Usually $199-$249,,, depending on the shop. The LCPII costs a little more & but can be had for under $325 in most any place you shop.
    The LC380, (different than the LCP) or the LC9 both cost more than the LCP.

Boolit Master

No trouble from my lcp.
    I bought the zombie slayer edition many moons ago.
    Liked carrying it so much I bought a plain model slide for it and put the painted slide away.

'Monkey
    WebMonkey
    Retired 19D
    Psalm 91:9
    Honda 919

Carry my LCP 1.0 in a pocket shield type holster. Hated the trigger at first but is has gotten smoother with use and I've learned to use it. Paid $199 and I do reload and shoot 95gr boolits in it so I can afford to practice when I go to the range. I too prefer a 1911 type gun but don't take them with me due to weight/size.
    NRA Benefactor Member

Boolit Master
    I prefer my LC9s for the trigger, but can put a mag on a sheet of paper @ 10 yards with the LCP so I think bad guys better worry. Size is nice when space is limited.

I had the original LCP, and it was fine for what it was. My Dad liked it enough that he bought one. He has actually been quite fond of it, and carries it daily. He shoots both cast reloads and jacketed though it. If it’s good enough to protect my Mom, it’s good enough for anyone!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have two original model LCPs. I am an old wheelgun guy and find the DA trigger pull feels like one of my older Colts with slight stacking. Some reviewers did not care for the sights, but I also feel them adequate like a Colt snubby .38 Special. I got the two LCPs to replace .32 ACP Beretta Tomcats in which the frames cracked. The .380 micro pistol makes a great "Church Gun" or beach carry when wearing no more than a bathing suit and flip-flops...

Attachment 248350Attachment 248351Attachment 248352
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I've handled and really didn't like the feel of the original LCP, haven't had a go at the last version which most do say is better.

But, If anyone is looking for a pocket gun on a budget in 380acp, the Taurus spectrums are down at rock bottom prices.

You can find at between $120 and $150 easily, I bought three the other day, one for me, one for daughter and one for my wife. Yeah, maybe crazy. But, daughter and I went out and shot a 26 rounds per our two guns with zero issues using Remington UMC and Federal. Both cheap FMJ round nose. Accuracy at 7-8 yards was ok for first time shooting. They aren't a pretty slick finished gun, but 8-9 pound trigger pull, with no cocked striker makes for a pretty darn safe pocket gun. It isn't a 9mm or 45, but it rings the bell decently at 35 feet (as close as I wanted to be with lead ammo and steel) Slide rack is pretty heavy. Taurus changed the slide spring to a longer and much stiffer spring from early models. I had purchased a Kimber micro 9 earlier in year as small carry, and it isn't a pocket gun at all. And I'm not entirely enamored with the Kimber at this time either. I bought these three guns for half what is in the Kimber......

Boolit Grand Master
    The LCP is probably the gun most responsible for arming people who really don’t want to carry a gun. These people opt for the type that is low cost, has good reliability, and causes them the least discomfort. I understand the LCP series is well past a million units sold and my fuzzy recollection may have heard a much larger sales total mentioned somewhere.

I don’t necessarily roll that way but I do have an LCP and LCP II, which means who am I to say that line of thinking is incorrect for someone else?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast