RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLoad Data
WidenersSnyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Need help finding screws

Boolit Bub

Need help finding screws

I have a GM drop in barrel for a T/C that I need to shim to get it to fit in my stock. The screws that hold the lug on the barrel are too short after the shims. They only have maybe two threads holding the lug on. Does anyone know where I can find some screws? I don't know the tread pitch. I need them about 3/8 in long. The hole is tapped far enough in. Thanks! Joe

Boolit Grand Master

I don't know what thread they are either, but everything on a TC should be standard thread. They are probably #8 screws. Any hardware store will have them.

Boolit Bub
    This is a Green Mountain barrel, it's not a TC part or a standard screw. But, I'll check the specialty drawer at Lowes.

Boolit Grand Master

I would really be surprised if Green Mountain used metric screws. I'm sure most are aware, but the quick and easy test is to find the nut drawer and find the size that way. I assume this a counter sunk screw, either flat or allen head. I've never been to lowes, but they should have it if they are worth anything.

You may have to go to a real old school hardware store.

If you can't take the barrel, take a screw, test it on a known size nut to be sure the thread pattern is right.

I've done that and sometimes had to get a longer screw that could be filed down--carefully.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    If you have a Cardinal True Value store, they may have them. The local one carries an assortment of gun screws.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Bub
    Numrich! Should have known. Fillister Head Screw, New (6-48 x 3/8") $2.75 each. Price plus shipping will hurt, but I need them.

Boolit Master
    I found some on flea bay for less. Thanks for the info, I have the same problem.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    All screws are not created equal. There are a lot of inexpensive screws and bolts for sale at places like Home Depot, but in my experience they are mostly made of poor quality steel and their tolerances are not that tight. Maybe get one to find the right size, cannot believe it’s not US standard. After find a place that sells good quality. Agricultural supply stores usually have good quality. They might even let you bring the gun it to find the right one.