Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 Navy Model. Need help

Boolit Master

44 Navy Model. Need help

Picked up the 44 Navy. Needed cleaning and some real TLC but is coming around. I can not find a maker any way on it. I also can't figure out how to remove the cylinder for cleaning. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Jay

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ted 6.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	60.0 KB 
ID:	248149Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ted 1.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	95.1 KB 
ID:	248150Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ted 5.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	248151

First picture shows the original box it came in but there are no markings on it either.

Boolit Master

Pull the wedge that is in front/center of the cylinder (tap the right side flush and pull out the left), and pull the barrel and fron of the frame off. The brass is one half and the blued is another held together by that wedge.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

It might help to identify the maker if you dig around for pictures of them that tell the maker,
    and see if your proof marks jive up with known arms makers.
    Uberti might be a good start.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

No Uberti I know of is a 44 navy ... let alone a brass frame. Uberti makes pretty close likeness of the walker 44 's dragoons 44's 1860 army 44, 1851 navy 36 and the police 36's and 31 pockets. All historic and very close to the correct dimensions of the original article.

My guess is Pietta. Does it have " black powder only " on the left side of the barrel?

May be a CVA kit gun. Look at the markings on the cylinder maybe something on there that will give you a hint.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    No Uberti I know of is a 44 navy ... let alone a brass frame. Uberti makes pretty close likeness of the walker 44 's dragoons 44's 1860 army 44, 1851 navy 36 and the police 36's and 31 pockets. All historic and very close to the correct dimensions of the original article.

My guess is Pietta. Does it have " black powder only " on the left side of the barrel?
    Yes, it does say Black Powder only.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post

IMAG0473.jpg (55.6 KB)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMAG0473.jpg  

Boolit Master
    Is the barrel round?

Banned

Probably a Pietta!

Banned

You don't need to pull that wedge all of the way out. Only to the screw stop. Use the loading lever on the cylinder face and gently push the 2 pieces apart. The cylinder will slide right off of the pin. Remove the nipples and add some antisieze grease.

Quote Originally Posted by dondiego View Post
    You don't need to pull that wedge all of the way out. Only to the screw stop. Use the loading lever on the cylinder face and gently push the 2 pieces apart. The cylinder will slide right off of the pin. Remove the nipples and add some antisieze grease.
    Exactly what dondiego said. When pushing with the ram portion of the loading lever it naturally has to be on the surface between the cylinder holes and you'll probably have to place the gun on half cock so that the cylinder will turn a bit to allow the ram to hit between the cylinder chambers. The only .44 Navy that I've ever encountered is made by Pietta. I have one, but the frame is steel. It's not unlikely that they made a brass frame model for sale by another company such as CVA.

Boolit Master
    First thing is find you a couple wooden clothes pins and pop them apart and that's what you drive your wedges out with. Non marring and cheap, hard to beat! Next, the Roman numeral on RH side, look up Italian date codes and this will tell you DOM. Looks like an EMF box (maybe) and this would be a Brescia, look under barrel at back of octagon transition into loading arm area on bottom aft flat. May look like a little cluster of three circles but is a DGG. Barrel off- wedge out to left, half cock, rotate cylinder to between holes and use loading lever to dismount barrel assembly.

Boolit Grand Master

Put the gun on half cock after you tap out the wedge and use the loading lever to pop off the barrel then the cylinder comes right off.

In Remembrance
    Now that you know how to disassemble the gun, clean, oil it and put it together. With a brass frame, you will want to keep your powder charges around 18 grains. Yeah, it will hold more powder, but it will also shoot loose quicker.
    NRA Life
    NMLRA Life
    F&AM

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Exactly what dondiego said. When pushing with the ram portion of the loading lever it naturally has to be on the surface between the cylinder holes and you'll probably have to place the gun on half cock so that the cylinder will turn a bit to allow the ram to hit between the cylinder chambers. The only .44 Navy that I've ever encountered is made by Pietta. I have one, but the frame is steel. It's not unlikely that they made a brass frame model for sale by another company such as CVA.
    I have a 44 navy made by Army San Marco, but a steel frame - its a top shooter!!

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    I have a 44 navy made by Army San Marco, but a steel frame - its a top shooter!!
    I really like mine also. I don't know why they didn't actually make them "back in the day" like 1851, but I guess they were eclipsed by the 1860 Army. But the 1851 was such a nice design and shape, and in .44 it seems like the best of both worlds.

Say, retread, that box the revolver is shown in -- is that the original box? Any writing on it? It looks very much like an Armi Jaeger box with the wood grained print cardboard.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by mazo kid View Post
    Now that you know how to disassemble the gun, clean, oil it and put it together. With a brass frame, you will want to keep your powder charges around 18 grains. Yeah, it will hold more powder, but it will also shoot loose quicker.
    you are right of course but it will take the average weekend plinker a fair long time to wear one of these down even with full loads, and cause him to have a serious amount of fun along the way - FFg powder helps steady things down a bit without the complication of "fillers" in the load.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Say, retread, that box the revolver is shown in -- is that the original box? Any writing on it? It looks very much like an Armi Jaeger box with the wood grained print cardboard.
    Yes it is original but the label on the end is partial missing. I can see 44 and Black Powder but that is all.

Boolit Master

Thanks for the instructions fellow. Got it all broke down and cleaned. Looks grat other that some minor pitting on the top of the barrel. Cylinder and bore look real goo. Action operates smoothly and locks up tight. Any mold recommendations?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast