RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading Everything
Inline FabricationRepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Cheek piece riser

Boolit Master

Cheek piece riser

The cheek height on my Marlin 464 is perfect with the factory iron sights. Today I added a 30mm Ultradot in low rings and now the cheek is to low and the rifle doesn’t “line up” properly when I shoulder it.
    What are some methods I can use to raise the cheek then measure the rise before ordering some type of riser? I ask because the aftermarket risers come in different heights.
    Thank you.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master
    I use the elastic from a cut off sock to trap pieces of foam under on top of the comb to get the right cheek height for my young sons. There is also a kit available that does the same.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    Get some mouse pads and cut them up a piece at a time. And look for some old leather like from a welders apron. Stock the sections of mouse pads on the comb of the stock and wrap the leather around it. Use some of the extra long boot laces the old style is preferred and use it like thread. Might have to use a drill to make the holes so the leather laces pass through and just tie it off. Frank

Boolit Master

Get mouse pads as above or closed cell foam from sleeping pad.

Then get this from amazon: 3M Vetrap 4" Bandaging Tape, 4" x 5 Yards (Black, Single Roll).

Cut pieces to get your right height and wrap with the tape. I used this on a 22 rifle for this past summer in sweaty 100 degree temps and it is still in place.

https://www.range365.com/diy-rifle-c...-pad-on-cheap/

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the tips. Seems to be a fine line on raising the cheek height without causing your cheek to be off center.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    Or you could do this:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000146.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	62.0 KB 
ID:	248161

My trap gun modified to address extreme offset, rise, and cant adjustments...added a pistol grip with palm shelf as well...using Rat Grip. I can close my eyes, bring up my gun and the gun is perfectly aligned...perfect fit. The stock pictured also had a Rad II recoil reduction and LOP adjustment.

Rifle shooters have a long way to go in getting the stock fit necessary to be consistent. The Boyd's At-One is coming close.

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gallery#shapes
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1000149.jpg  
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I've seen cardboard and electrical tape used for such. About as inexpensive as you can get.
    Rick

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    The cheek height on my Marlin 464 is perfect with the factory iron sights. Today I added a 30mm Ultradot in low rings and now the cheek is to low and the rifle doesn’t “line up” properly when I shoulder it.
    What are some methods I can use to raise the cheek then measure the rise before ordering some type of riser? I ask because the aftermarket risers come in different heights.
    Thank you.
    I had same issue with my handi rifle after I scoped it. I ordered one of these. Problem fixed. This company has some nice stuff too. I ordered a strap, and a cartridge wallet for my belt too.

Last edited by MOA; 09-11-2019 at 04:45 PM.