Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 88 yds with the 41 Shorty

Boolit Master
    Tripplebeards, thanks for the tip about the salts! That wouldn't have worked here, just a few inches into that mud & my 4 wheeler would have been sunk clear up to the seat, or worse. Plus, a few years ago I was deer hunting in Wyoming & had to ride through a beaver pond that wasn't very deep but I still got something wet & it wouldn't go over about 3 miles an hour so I parked it & left it for a day & it dried out & I could use it. Got a fork horn muley the next day with my bisely 41 magnum at about 80-90 yds straight on through the center chest with a 230 gr Keith.

Dick

Moderator Emeritus

Nice going sixshot. You hardly needed pictures as the description in the write up told us all. It looks like very difficult country to hunt with a short gun.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    That’s what I would call you have exhaustedly worked to retrieve a killed deer. Kudos to you for enduring to do it, and kudos for the very descriptive hunting story.
    Camba

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    What an ordeal, congratulations on being the ethical type of man who does what he has to do to retrieve game under trying circumstances. If we are lucky, we all get to experience one of those "bust a gut" endurance hunts, and live to tell about it. I tip my old greasy Kromer to you.
    Now Crocs, well that's a whole 'nuther issue. I told my wife more than once, if she ever sees me wearing either Crocs or sandals, she is to slowly back away and call 911.
    Duke

Boolit Grand Master
    no offense Dick but I agree with the above post
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    Hay sixshot… That Keith you put in a mule deer did it exit? Just curious.

Boolit Master
    This one wasn't a Keith, it was more of an LBT style but Miha calls it a 640 nose design, I really like it. I couldn't tell if it did or not, it shattered the neck vertebrae so I couldn't find anything.

I was back at it last evening carrying my OM flat top 44 & could have taken another doe, looked like about 70 yds, just guessing. She was holding tight in some really heavy, tall grass & watching me over her shoulder but she was standing in MUD! I set there for several minutes playing the waiting game, I was hoping she would walk away from me 15-20 yds up hill because that was dry ground. I could have shot her real easy, made about a mile loop & picked her up but she didn't seem to have any intentions of leaving that cover. I finally decided to wait for another day & left, no way was I going to drop her in that muddy stuff across that stream.

I had 245 gr Keith HP's over 10 grs of Unique in the OM flat top, a load I've used on half a dozen deer in the last few years in Idaho, Utah & Montana.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

Which weight 640 style? He had a 640 and 640 “light”. I’ve got both and really like the 640 light HP for plinking. It’s right at 170-175gr sizes and lubed. The standard 640 HP is around 210-215gr all dressed. What powder and charge are you using in the 41?

Boolit Master
    Mine weigh 213 grs with my alloy & I'm using 8 grs of Unique. This load runs 1048 fps out of my OM shorty, & right at 1100 fps out of my 5.5" 41 bisley. I don't want to run this bullet any faster because this is a pretty good size HP cavity. It sure does drop them. If you're looking for a great deer bullet in the 41 magnum this is the one. I'm casting it about 70/30, wheelweights to lead & then powder coating. Air cooled they come out about a 9 BHN.

Dick

Boolit Master
    I saw the weight and assumed it was a Keith. Anyway I have the same mold in brass. I took one of the pins and shortened it and rounded it for a kind of a cup point. I use it PC'd in my 16.5" .41 Henry. Took a doe back in Jan. at 85 steps. MV was 1770
    I have killed just a couple of deer with the normal hp and they worked well too. One of the does I took was out of my .41/454 aka 410 GNR. The reason I tell you this is the mv was 1640 and this was before PCing. She was angled toward me and I got left lung and the bullet stopped under the skin under her right hip. It blew the hp cavity off and kept going.
    This one is my most used mold. Keep the stories coming.

Boolit Master
    Glynn41, that's very good results on that deer. I can tell this is going to be my favorite 41 bullet for deer & antelope in both my 41's, very accurate. I'll wind it up in the Bisley.

With that 2dogs front sight it's just really accurate in the OM & I'll probably use it in Montana next month. I'm finding that it does really well at long range but haven't done a lot of testing with it yet but that will happen next summer. That doe night before last, I really think I could have head shot her except I don't like that shot but this gun & load could have done it.

Dick

Boolit Grand Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F75859A5-8027-4F5E-BB61-8FD87FC7A4E3.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	78.3 KB 
ID:	248608

Just finished sizing and lubing with Carnauba Red. I’ll load up a few of your unique loads to try them out.

Boolit Grand Master

That's a great story but I must confess that although I've been hunting whitetail my whole life I didn't know they floated.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    JonP, I've floated a lot of deer across streams before, the secret is, don't gut them! They float real easy if you just get in the water, grab a hind leg....their's , not yours, and start crossing. I crossed the Beaverhead River up in Montana a few years ago with a heavy white tail in tow & the current almost took me to Twin Bridges! It was deep, cold & raining & I had my hunting boots on, not Crocs. I made probably the best shot of my life on that deer, also with one of the 41's's.
    We've also floated a couple of large bull elk across the Selway River before but we used the horses to pull them, but they float just the same, I think I can come up with a photo of that if I look long enough.

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 09-21-2019 at 11:47 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    a deer raft how cool
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Man
    I wouldn’t be caught dead in a pair of crocs but a man that shoots a six shooter as good as Sixshot does can wear anything he pleases as far as I’m concerned! Nice shootin’ Dick.

Boolit Master
    I found out deer do float-the hard way... I was dragging a dressed deer around water in a slew and she slid off into the water and pulled me in two. Now I am in waist deep water and temp was in the 40,s plus the black mud at the bottom was holding me down. I kept moving my feet and finally got them lose and pulled me and the deer out and back to the truck. ZOMBIE DEER tried to drown me

Boolit Master

Dang, I'm tired from just reading that! Love the grips on that six gun.

Boolit Bub
    Awesome story! Id really love to try and do some revolver hunting sometime!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12