Reloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyInline FabricationWideners
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 88 yds with the 41 Shorty

Boolit Master

88 yds with the 41 Shorty

Finally got my depredation tags for deer & antelope Saturday so I thought I might go hunting yesterday, little did I know it would turn into an all night ordeal. I got there kind of late, saw a few deer as soon as I unloaded the 4 wheeler but they were gone in a hurry, seemed pretty spooky & in this treeless, wide open country they can see you for a long ways.
    I wanted to see if the sprinklers were still on the Alfalfa like it was last year so I drove up there first. I spotted one herd of about 10 & they were at least 800-900 yds off, I didn't even range them. Where they were at they were pretty safe from a guy with an iron sighted short barreled six gun. I didn't have much daylight so I started hunting the sagebrush draws (coulees) & the tall weed patches that line some of the bottom ground. This stuff is thick & it's where I almost tipped over last year after shooting a doe in some real thick stuff & then trying to drive through it. I ended up standing my 4 wheeler right on it's nose. I was going really slow but still managed to drop the front end into about a 6 ft drop off. I got high centered or I would have went over for sure.
    As I approached this same spot I seen a huge skunk & he was on the fight, he wasn't trying to escape, he was bluffing me & making some kind of a noise & was maybe the largest skunk I've ever seen. Last year when I shot that doe laying in this stuff I flushed a huge skunk out the other side, this might be the very same skunk. Anyway, I turned off the 4 wheeler & drew the 41 & he started making little hops towards me & making that funny sound, he was really on the fight. At about 12-15 yds I gave him a 213 gr HP right in the face, that calmed him down pretty good.
    I drove around, got off & walked slowly along the rims of the draws, made some fawn bleats, nothing, it was pretty quiet & I was running out of time. I headed down along a narrow road along the stream towards my truck & across the stream a very large doe started walking away from me in the tall grass/weeds. This stuff has a hard, thick stalk to it, similar to a bamboo stalk. I was sitting at an awkward angle & she was walking when I took the shot & it went high making a big splat in the mud behind her. That stopped her dead still & the next shot was one of the fastest drops I've ever made. When they go down that fast it has to be a head shot or a spine shot. I ranged her after the shot at 88 yds. I don't know if you would call it an offhand shot, an offhand turned shot or an offhand turned, twisting shot, probably all of the above. It was difficult because I was quite a bit past her.
    Anyway, I knew I had a bit of a problem because there was a lot of deep water between me & her & it was almost dark, I had maybe 20 minutes to cross over & get her & that wasn't possible. I went back & got my truck & got my pack & looked for the best place to try & cross, everywhere looked deep & both banks looked very muddy. I left my pack, wallet, cellphone, & socks on the bank & slide my way out into the stream with my walking stick. I had my headlamp & my Croc's, nothing else. I was sinking into the mud really deep, I fell down a couple of times getting into the water but once I got in the bottom was hard but very slick.
    Soon I was clear up to my neck going across, I never went completely under but I was sliding all over that stream trying to stand up, without the walking stick I couldn't have done it. When I got over there it was almost dark, I walked back down & found the deer & decided I had better cross in a different spot, it was just too muddy back where my pack was at.
    As always I never gut one before crossing, that way they will float. I floated her across, again up to my neck & I had a terrible time climbing the muddy bank on the other side. I left the deer part way in the water to help her cool & walked up to he truck & rested for 30 minutes & drank some cold drinks. Then all hell broke loose, I started down in the dark to find my gear so I could call home & also get my other lights & knives but I couldn't find them & I sunk clear up tto my hips in the worst mud you could ever imagine. I had to lean on one side to keep from sinking deeper. I finally got loose & tried to find another way but in a few minutes I did the exact same thing only this time it was worse, I sank deeper. I was exhausted & I could lean over & touch the mud with my nose. I finally worked my left leg up out of the mud & my Croc was still on. I started working on my right leg & when I finally got it loose the Croc was gone! I laid out on my stomach & reached down in the hole to try & find the Croc but I couldn't reach it, I reached over & took the left one & threw it in the stream.
    All my life I've had very tender feet, I can hardly stand to walk on grass, now I am bare foot & in some of the worst stuff you could imagine. there are sticks & cockle burrs everywhere & for the next 2 hours I'm walking around in the dark & rain trying to find my gear. My headlight is starting to go dim.
    I need a break, I work my way slowly back up to the truck, sinking in mud but not as bad, I knew one more bad one & I would be there all night. When I got to the truck I really wasn't tired but my body sure was!
    I drove 3-4 miles to a farm house & borrowed a phone so I could call my wife & let her know I was going to be a little bit late & not to worry. The lady loaned me a spot light & I went back & located my gear & then in a pouring rain found my deer, gutted it, drug it up to the road & here comes the farmer lady with one of her daughters, they had got worried about me & came to help. We threw the deer in my truck, I thanked them & got home at 1am.
    Looking at the deer this morning with my bloody feet, I had hit the doe at the base of the neck, breaking it & killing her instantly, I did see all 4 legs buckle at the same time, it was impressive. First kill with this OM 41 shorty that had been worked over by Bobby Tyler, complete with that great 2dogs front sight & a 213 gr HP, what a combination.

[img]https:

Boolit Master

WOW sixshot! What a hunt you had. You had me on the edge of my chair while you were sinking in the mud up to your neck, and barefoot too LOL. You earn most all of them that I have read about. But I think you especially earned this one. I always look forward to your exploits with the six shooter. Your short barrel 41 looks real nice and you broke it in right. 88 yards is a good shot with a rifle, but with a handgun it is tremendous. I recall your write-up about your cane/shooting stick on one of your earlier hunts. Seems it sure came in handy here. I will be waiting for your write-up on antelope later on.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

I was worried but I knew you didn't write this post mortem so three cheers for you! You too damn old to be EARNING deer that way. You are an inspiration, sir.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    Dick you had me wore out reading this
    been stuck like that before so I know what a pain it is
    nice shooting take care
    livin the dream
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Nice looking 6 gun and a nice looking place to hunt (except for the mud part!).
    I can almost smell the cover scent provided by that skunk from here.

Boolit Buddy
    wow! that was a fun read! glad to hear it ended well. thanks for sharing!

Boolit Master

Great write up and great deer.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Buddy
    Brings back memories of the stories my Mother used to tell me about living near the river and quick sand. Glad you are OK. The fear and adrenalin must have been terrible. Bruce

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, it wasn't so much fear as I was just exhausted! I knew I could come back tomorrow & find my gear & I had the deer laying part way in the water but I also knew if I got stuck in the deep mud one more time I would probably be there all night, I was zapped!
    Here's a photo of my right foot today, my feet are really swollen & my wife's not real happy but she did fix me breakfast!

Dick

Boolit Master

WOW!!
    Quite the adventure!
    That quick-mud is a read concern
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Give the farmer lady and her daughter some sausage! Glad it all worked out for you
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    That's hardcore.great write up.

Boolit Grand Master
    well she cooked breakfast anyway that's a good thing
    may have to work a bit more to get out totally
    good luck
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master
    I'll take that farmer lady some homemade Cinnamon rolls that are out of this world, in fact I go all over teaching classes. She had 4 kids standing in the door, I'm sure they will be very happy when they get them.

Dick

Excellent story! I remember being in some places saying "Lord please don't let me see a deer here, please not in here." Good job.

Boolit Grand Master

Great story. We should have a collective of hunting short stories of our members here. This one would definitely qualify!

Be sure you’re not developing cellulitis. Gotta keep you upright for more stories.

I hit mud like that once when duck hunting along the Sacramento River. It will definitely pull your boots off. Great story!

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

You need to quit wearing ladies gardening shoes when you are out hunting! Just kidding! Sort of...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I had my hunting boots with me but didn't want to wear them in that mud or across that stream, the Crocs are easier to carry & I crossed the stream bare footed & using my walking stick. I even had a spare pair of Crocs in my tool box, I just wasn't prepared for that kind of mud, who would be? Like I said, I had crossed this stream before to recover a deer but in shallow water & more daylight, this was a whole new ballgame, darkness, a lot more deep water & very deep mud that I had never experienced before. Next time I'll take 89 yds of rope & a float tube, might save myself some grief!

Dick

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I loose more Crocs that way.lol Whats worse is when they get wet and my Croc’s turn sideways on my feet while I’m walking.

I remember when I was a kid my friend and I were sunk all the way up past our waists on the edge of a creek bank. My dad luckily came looking for us or we probably would be here right now. I was installing drain culverts last week and pulled off one of my La Crosse camo 1200 gram knee high rubbers with the mud’s suction in the muck I was standing in. Your lucky you got out. Looks like your HF boolits hit their mark again!

Soak your foot in an epson salt bath.

How about installing a snorkel on your quad? I’ve never tried it but I think they float long as you keep them running?..and the snorkel hooked up over the carburetor. You try it first and let me know.lol
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-11-2019 at 10:38 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast