Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Avon, MT Elk Hunt

Boolit Mold

Avon, MT Elk Hunt

I'll be hunting Elk Near Avon, MT the 2nd rifle season. This will be on a private 20k ac ranch. Anyone ever hunt around Avon? The is my first ever elk hunt and just trying to get some general info or any tips that I can. Thanks in advance.

USMC 77, USRA 79

my best advise... get into shape... elk country can be steep.. be in your best physical condition that is possible for you!!!! lots of hills... mountains, brush, and all sorts of things like that. good boots, good socks... those are the things you can do to make your hunt sucessful!!! those are the things you can control.. control the things you can, and if thhtere are elk, you will get one...

i used to live near there.. was a pretty wonderful little cafe along the road that I loved to get lunch in... cant remember the name havent been there sense I was about 23... nearly 40 years... great elk hunting though... was pretty remote country back then... little blackfoot river runs through that part of the country... find water high up, this time of year, will still be pretty warm and dry, elk will be close to water.

hope that helps...

marko
    Last edited by Markopolo; 09-10-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks Marko!

Boolit Master

Marko gives good advise.
    If I'm not mistaken the "2nd rifle season" starts in December, so it may be a little cold.
    Have you decided on a firearm & load?

edit: I see in another thread that you will be hunting the 2nd [U]week[U] of rifle season. Much more comfortable temps than December.

Boolit Mold
    Beerd I will be hunting Nov 4th -- Nov 8th. (I thought it was considered 2nd season but oh well lol) I'll be using my Winchester Model 70 Feather weight in .280 Remington and I'm shooting Remington Core Lokt 165 grain.

Boolit Master

First week in November can go either way weather wise.
    Good choice in rifle & cartridge.
    Will this a guided hunt or do it yourself?

Boolit Master

And WELCOME TO CASTBOOLITS!

Boolit Mold
    It is a DIY hunt and Thank you!

Boolit Master

I'm probably 200 miles from Avon, but looking out my window and at the extended weather forecast I think you can leave the shorts and flip-flops at home.

Boolit Buddy
    Welcome to Castboolits! I haven't hunted that area but can help with general info. Cardio workouts and leg workouts (stairs at ball stadiums work great). Excellent boots that fit when climbing and descending. Merino wool socks in different thicknesses. I broke in a new pair of boots this year that fit perfect at home but I found that the laces had to be super tight to keep the back of my foot from rubbing when climbing once in the mtns. Bring different pairs if you have more than one. Moleskin just incase you have a rub you can't eliminate. Layers of clothes that are light and warm so you eliminate weight you are packing. I prefer a merino wool base layer. A good pack with everything you need that fits the type of hunting you are doing. A frame pack works as a day pack, just extra weight and less comfort than a strictly day pack but you have more capacity to pack out when you get an animal down. I hunt early season and hate packs that ride on your back and make you sweat even more. I have an Alps day pack now that has ample room for my back to breath with its mesh back design and I love it. Use the checklists found on the net, RMEF has some and combine it with others and check everything off twice. I'll check back on this thread post more questions if you get more.

Boolit Master

msl,
    2nd week starts today.
    We will be waiting for a report back

Boolit Buddy

The Avon Cafe, great side pork breakfast. Enjoy your hunt.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    20 acres isn't much in that area. Find some block management units that are on the east side of the highway. There are some big acreages with elk on them.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

I think he called it a 20k acre ranch. The devil is in the details.