Snyders JerkyLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
WidenersRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: Scope mounting help plz.

Boolit Master

Scope mounting help plz.

After years of wanting a BSA Martini International one now sits in my safe. It came with a 10X Unertl type scope mounted attached to a long .4 inch rail mounted to the rifle. The rail is long enough to mount just about anything. I want to mount a modern higher power scope onto it as old optics will detract from shooting the best I can.

The question is what mount can I get that will be able to grab a .4 inch rail? It is not a fancy Weaver attachment rail but just a piece of metal mounted on the top of the rail attached tot he barrel that a .4 inch mount can grab onto.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of ,22 rings are 3/8" dovetails and could possibly be modified to fit if it is a true .400 dovetail. I believe the unertal bases will accept the .22 rings and lock on. You may have to cut a slot for the bolt on some rings though. Next is going to determine how high a ring the new scope will need.

Moderator Emeritus

I assume that is a 11mm dovetail rail.

11mm Dovetail Scope Mounts for 1'' Scope
    https://www.amazon.com/Modkin-Doveta.../dp/B071DXCF41

11mm Dovetail to 20mm Picatinny Weaver Rail Converter Adapter Scope Mount
    http://www.waydepot.com/ItemDetail.a...yABEgKvLvD_BwE
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

MT Guns at one time made a bolt-on Picatinny rails for BSA Martini International's. He sold the business but he lists a contact for the new owner. The new owner may still have some. http://www.mtguns.com/

If that doesn't work these folks may have an option.

http://www.steveearleproducts.com/scopeblocks.html

Traditional scope blocks often seem to be described as either "3/8 inch wide" or "1/2 inch wide." In fact they are neither, although 1/2" is close. Original Unertl dovetails (the scope rings, not the blocks) generally measure .494" to a theoretical sharp corner. This matches the older Winchester A5 scope mount dimensions. MVA has told us that they cut their mounts to .484" to a sharp corner, which is slightly smaller. It's a theoretical number because due to tip wear of the cutter, or even the wire EDM radius (if cut that way), a perfectly sharp inside corner on the mount is almost never achieved. Thus if the block has a perfectly sharp corner, it is not a good situation - it would hang up on that small non-sharp inside corner of the mount. Additionally, because these "corners" may not actually exist (either in the mount or on the block), measuring an existing part by going across the corners may not give a truly useful dimension.

Info on adapters and 22 ring usage here. https://www.assra.com/cgi-bin/yabb/Y...num=1475279865
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-26-2019 at 02:47 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Thank you to all. This is an amazing collection of knowledge and people enjoying being helpful.

Boolit Master
    On my Martini I have a scope mount that uses screws on the side of the receiver with a picatni rail one price unit .I believe its was an Australian made.very neat fitting no mods to the rifle .