Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RepackboxRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Broom handle Mauser question.

Broom handle Mauser question.

I don't have one unfortunately. If you attach the holster to the grip to use as a shoulder arm, is this considered a short barreled rifle or is it exempt?

Thanks

Bazoo

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...gality.833088/

Original C96 pistols can wear original or reproduction stocks.

This is the answer the firearms technology branch gave me in 2002.

Remember ATF can and has changed its mind after issuing letters, but this the latest word I have had on this subject.

Original pre-1945 Mauser C96 with an original shoulder stock or an accurate reproduction of an original shoulder stock is legally a Title I (1968 GCA) pistol, not a Title II (1934 NFA) short barrel rifle (SBR), within ATF rules on Curios & Relics.

A modern made C96 (like the ones made in China on new frames in the 1980s to use up 711-712 part sets) is a modern pistol and does not fall under the Curio & Relics exemption: it would have to be registered as a SBR if you have an original shoulder stock or an accurate reproduction of an original shoulder stock on a Mauser C96 made after 1945.

If you add a modern stock that is not an original shoulder stock or an accurate reproduction of an original shoulder stock to a C96, it is not a collector's item but is considered likely to be intended to be used as a weapon, and would have to be registered as a SBR.

You go dressing a C96 Mauser up to look like a spacetrooper carbine, or like the sniper rifle in Frank Sinatra's The Naked Runner 1967, you have moved from Curio & Relic to NFA firearm.

Carl N. Brown, Feb 24, 2018
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Thanks.

That's kind of interesting -- a look at the Highroad link brings up the post by dogtown tom in 2018 with three links he cites. The first two say "account suspended" and nothing else, and the third, an ATF link, says "page not found".

I do believe that the information provided by dogtown tom and by M-techs is correct as I phoned ATF about the same question many years ago, and essentially got the same answer. Were I going to display one or more broomhandles with stocks I'd take the time to phone again and ask for a letter, as I'm overly cautious and would hate to lose them. Then, letter received, I'd put a copy inside the stock of each pistol.

I happened to think of it when I seen such on tv. I would like a Mauser though, but doubt it'll happen unless I get lucky.

Boolit Buddy
    A lot of the original stocks got tossed when guys from WW2 were bringing them home. Having the stock made it a Title II and $200 was a LOT of money back then. Some units spot checked the duffel bags and guys didn't want to take a chance having something that would delay going home. Supposed to only be allowed to bring back one gun. Of course lots of guys ignored the rules and brought back more than one or "restricted" items. The government didn't give them a .45 they were issued (on loan), but a lot of them sure followed guys home.

I don't know when the ruling about the stock/holster changed. I am guessing 1968?

Boolit Master
    FWIW, at least on the older Mauser's, the stock had a serial number that matched the pistol. If that is the case then you could be more sure of your status.

Finding an older Mauser for a decent price can be difficult. The recent increase in Churchill's popularity made the pre-WWI models very desirable, especially the ones with UK distributor stamps. The prices of the other models has kinda stabilized for the past decade or so.

Of course, if you get one of the Chinese knockoffs I'd be a bit more careful about the stock. Might not be able to prove if it was original to the pistol.
    Last edited by charlie b; 09-28-2019 at 09:23 PM.