MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything

Thread: The local tire dealer....

Boolit Master

The local tire dealer....

I went over and had a tire repaired on my wife's car. While I was there I casually asked about the disposition of the old wheel weights. I couldn't believe what he told and showed me. Some were useable ww, some were zinc, some I have no idea what they were except extremely light. I'm going to find some 5 gallon buckets and make a few trips to help them get rid of those old nasty things. I know it won't be like the old days when they were all useable, but those that are will have at least one more extremely fast journey ....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Buddy
    I have to go to the tire shop tomorrow. The same tire shop that I got two five gallon buckets of weights from before.
    I also went shooting today with a couple former co-workers. They brought along another friend who just so happens to work for a large car dealer that has a tire shop. He said he would bring me all the wheel weights he can the next time he comes over.

Nice score sounds like.

I'm getting around 50-60% usable out of the last couple buckets I bought. 30.00 each might I add, but it's all the supply I got right now.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice Score! I'm still getting 60+ % yield from my local sources. Hoping you do as well.

Boolit Master
    The last time I got, or bought, w/w was when zinc w/w were a new thing, and we seldom had to worry about them. Now I'll have to go through these with the side cutters. WTH, I'm retired. If the weather cools off I'll have something to do outside.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Master
    The dealer said to bring a bucket to trade for his. This morning I just brought a heavy cardboard box that I put a lot of tape on.
    The most astounding thing was there was no charge for the weights! I'll be back soon!
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    The dealer said to bring a bucket to trade for his. This morning I just brought a heavy cardboard box that I put a lot of tape on.
    The most astounding thing was there was no charge for the weights! I'll be back soon!
    Thats Great! Hope you get a good yield. Sorting weights ain't all that bad.

Boolit Master
    I went to the shed to sort some weights, but didn't stay long. Even with the a/c it was unbearable. Most of the stick-on weights were iron. I tried to rummage through awhile using the side cutters to see what cut and what didn't, but was mostly concerned about finding the iron weights first. It is supposed to be cooler by a few degrees next week, so maybe I'll do some more sorting.

My neighbor who lives across the street has a friend who owns a tire shop and he said that he's going to go talk to him and bring me more weights! Plus if I ever get my son to load his truck I have at least a five gallon bucketfull at my place in Eufaula. I bought those when w/w were mostly lead, very little zinc. Not like now.....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Why on Earth are you still sorting w/w's with sidecutters? Zinc weights melt at a much higher temp than lead ones, they'll just float on top with the steel ones and the clips!

Boolit Grand Master

I still sort by hand and probably always will. My pot/burner set-up will easily melt Zinc if the weights are in the bottom of the pot. But, everyone has a method that works for them and thats just mine. I've also sorted enough weights that I just look at each weight and only cut the questionable ones.

Speaking of local tire stores, we have a trip planned in a few weeks. I'll probably be taking the Wife's Expedition in next week for an oil change and to rotate and balance the tires. So, look out weight bucket!

Boolit Buddy
    I do a few passes, makes it a lot easier and faster.

First pass I throw all the junk and steel away, I don't even bother to sort the zinc out. I also set aside the stick-ons. At that point I end up with a bucket that is either zinc or lead.

Second pass I take out the obvious zinc.

Third pass I take my time and test with snips as warranted. Zinc may have a higher melting point but to me it is extremely satisfying to look at my five gallon buckets of wheel weights and know they are 100% lead.

Boolit Master
    Years ago ( the last time I smelted w/w ) I kept the heat kinda low and did scoop up whatever floated. This time I'll just amble along and take my time. I still have a third of a plastic milk jug crate full of ingots, and it's still too hot to be casting, let alone smelting....
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Tom W. View Post
    and it's still too hot to be casting, let alone smelting....
    Same thing here. Our temps are probably like they are where you're at. I've collected enough weights since last winter for a smelting session and a buddy has a large pile of pole top and crossarm pins piled up in my shop waiting to be melted. I've gotten so that I save there projects for winter after hunting season closes.

Boolit Master

Desperate to speed up the sorting process as the move date approached, I grabbed a big strong magnet. It helped me pick up WW from the buckets at a much faster pace. Steel weights stuck aggressively and stick-on of course didn’t stick at all. Zinc had a distinctive sound so sorting went fast. The magnet would pick up 3-4 times as much as I could with a gloved hand. I just scraped the good WW off the magnet and into a bucket by hand. Very much easier than handling everything manually.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris