Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rockchucker press..

Boolit Master

Rockchucker press..

Which RCBS Rockchucker reloading press do guys think is the best?
    Or does it really matter. Thanks for any info.
    Denny

All I can do is to give the testimonial that I purchased 2 regular (original?) Rockchuckers back around 1980, and they've done everything I ever wanted them to do with absolutely no problems. Every couple of years I have taken them apart and cleaned and lubed them. I would buy them again!

Boolit Master

all depends. I like my jr for simple things, the rockchucker for things that need a little more ummph and the big max for the big stuff. if I was just loading 38 specials all I would need would be the jr.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master

I've owned a later version of the original "RC" Rock Chucker and a Rock Chucker Supreme "RC IV".

Both are terrific. I slightly favor the current model. Mine is about 15 years old and has had a lot of use. It is the one on my bench now. I sold the older press in great condition. Kind of regret it. Nostalgia and all that.

Either are great, but the newer one had a slightly better feel (subjective), and I liked the ball handle. More clearance too. Both actions are smooth, but the IV on my bench is very very smooth.

I don't prime on a SS press, but the nod would go to the original for priming.

I've read reports that the IV model is Chinese aluminum. Those are not true, but the lore persists...

Boolit Master

I own the original RC, the RC II, the Piggyback II, and the 4X4. Shell holders for the semi-progressive 4X4 are illusive and I am not a fan of its shovel handle. The orig. RC has a bicycle handle, of which I am not particularly a fan either, but it does the job very well. I LOVE reloading on the RC II AND the Piggyback II. The RC II has no quirks and the "8-ball" handle takes to the hand well from any angle.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

RCBS has Replacement Ball Handles for the RC'er.
    And I have a longer one with an offset Ball handle to use when I stick the Piggyback II on it.
    Mine were both free, but that was back in the 1990's.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

I have a RS2, A RCII with a Piggyback II and a RC supreme RCIV. I used the RS2 to load everything I shoot and resize boolits witha a push thru sizer until about a year ago when I got the RC IV . Only drawback with the RC IV is you can't use the auto primer feed on it and the Piggyback II can't be locked down in the feed channel since it does not have one. The RS 2 does not have the bushing adapter and has a stuck handle (no ball). I really like both versions of the Rock Chucker.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    have the newest RC, and a Big Max, theres no question here if you can find one in good shape. Either one are both very capable presses.

Boolit Master
    I've been reloading since '65. Have used quite a few presses of several brands and have five single stage presses now. My "big" press is an RC 2 that I bought from Midway in 1989, IIRC.

I've learned a couple things about presses. I know it's sacrilige to say on the web. (1) If it's made of iron, any brand is basically as good as any other; any small differences is purely personal preference, not the performance. (2) If they look about the same they all work about the same.

At the risk of outrage, I'd just as soon have Lee's current Classic Cast as my RC. In fact, if I had to replace my RC 2 tomorrow it would be with a CC; I believe it's slightly the better press (better user features, not performance) of it's type available in today's market.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have been using a RC II for decades.
    My son is using a RC Supreme that I acquired at auction last year(NIB).
    Both are well made, quality presses that should last for many years.
    My RC II has loaded many thousands of rounds of ammunition over the years.
    The new RC Supreme has been used to reload well over a thousand rounds of rifle ammunition since we mounted it earlier this year in .223, .270 and .308 with absolutely zero issues.

Banned
    You'll find a lot of praise for the Rockchucker and there's no doubt that it is a solid press.

If I could only have one press, it would be one of the iron (probably cast steel?) "O" frames like a Rockchucker or Redding Boss. However, this is going to be sacrilege to some, but an aluminum framed "O" style press will work for most users. A decent aluminum framed press that is clean and properly lubricated will perform well for many years.

In addition to my iron presses I have a RCBS RS5 which is an aluminum frame press. It has seen a lot of use and it's just as tight today as the day I got it. Presses are not complex tools. If well cared for they will last a lifetime.

Banned
    Just out of curiosity, I looked at Midway's listings and here are some comparisons' :

RCBS Rockchucker - $185
    RCBS RS5 - $150
    Redding Boss - $155
    Redding Big Boss - on sale $170

Of those presses, the RS5 is the only aluminum framed one. The Redding Boss is only $5 more than the aluminum RS5 and for that extra $5 you get an excellent press. That would be my choice in that class of single stage press.

For $10 you can get the ball handle conversion.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 09-11-2019 at 07:09 AM.

I would look for a good used Rockchucker. They are pretty bulletproof. Mine is about 30 years old and has loaded thousands of rounds and still good as new.

Bought a Rockchucker back in the 70s. Been through lots of presses since, just about all name brands, from Dillon to Redding. Since I retired, have nothing but time on my hands, gone back to the RC for everything and retired all the others. Think I shoot now to get cases for reloading rather then other way round. You won't go wrong with one.

Boolit Master
    I have original Rockchuckers and a Rockchucker 2. Both are great. I do prefer the ball handle, which can be retrofitted to the original. The greater clearance of the RC2 gives it a bit of an edge in my opinion, but not enough to necessarily choose it over the original.

As for other brands, I would compare the warranty. The Rockchucker has a lifetime warranty. Do the others? I like my C-H Heavyweight, and would take it over any two presses Lee ever made. But I'm pretty sure it doesn't match the warranty of the Rockchucker.

Boolit Master
    I have 2 of the Rockchucker IVs. The only negative is how Rockchuckers handle spent primers. There are a bunch of solutions though from homemade to commercially made 3D printed catchers.

And if you accidently set one on fire they make great Garden Art.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RCprimer02.jpg   RCprimer01.jpg   RockChuc01.jpg  
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post

For $10 you can get the ball handle conversion.
    I called RCBS on Tuesday, Sept. 10, the day after I read the post saying the "ball handle" was available for the RC. RCBS wants $17.95 for the handle, made by AmmoMaster (not RCBS), and $21.95 for shipping. So, for $40.00 (+/-) you can get it through RCBS. I did not.

Who sells one for $10.00?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    And if you accidently set one on fire they make great Garden Art.
    For another thread...HOW did you do that?

Boolit Master

I purchased my RC back in the 70s. It is as smooth and works just as good as it ever did. I have used the feature of the removable bushing and use standard die sets at 7/8", 1", and the large shotshell dies in mine all the time and it always works for me. The only problem I have ever had on mine is the window opening above the shell holder is too short for the really long cartridge cases such as the 45-120, and the 505Gibbs. I purchased the ammo-master for that sort of work. I use both regularly. My bottom line is they just work and work well.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy
    While I am certain that there are a good number of members who have reloaded more than I have, I prefer the original RC over my RCIV. The RCIV liked to cam over when the RC wouldn't. If you are loading up a magnum, the IV would be a good option. If your diet of brass will only go to the 30-06 length the RC will do everything and more. If you are in search of a RCIV, let me know. It is currently taking up space in a box.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast