Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 308 bullet from 9mm brass?

Vendor Sponsor

308 bullet from 9mm brass?

Yep it can be done. Max weight is about 150-160 grain though. This case was sized in an experimental air operated press.

With that much solid brass in the base it would be an interesting bullet. The thin walls of the 9mm would open up drasticly at first then the solid base would just keep going I bet.

Got the bullets next to a standard 9mm case to show size before and after.

Good shooting,

BT Sniper
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Boolit Master
    That's interesting! Wonder if you could do that one one of Tim's swaging presses?
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

Good Lord, BT, GO TO BED!!!

How about some pics of the air-operated press?!?!?!
    Group Buy Honcho for: 9x135 Slippery, 45x200 Target (H&G68), 45x230 Gov't Profile, 44x265 Keith

E-mail or PM me if you have one of the following commemorative Glocks you'd like to sell: FBI 100yr, Bell Helo, FOP Lodge1, Kiowa Warrior, SCI, and any new/unknown-to-me commemoratives.

Boolit Master
    Am quite interested in this...

Vendor Sponsor

These bullets where formed in an old SAS die. My upcomeing die design will have a bit longer nose. Yes I bet that press could size down the 9mm, might take a two or three draws. I have had great results from the 5.7x28 brass too and can go up to 180 grains in the 5.7 but this just shows anything is possible.

BT
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    You should be able to make up heavier bullets in 308 utilizing 38 super/supercomp brass... there are various alternate 38 supers out there.. though brass is usually harder to find.. I sometimes get small amounts of these oddballs..

Boolit Grand Master

308 from 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post
    Yep it can be done. Max weight is about 150-160 grain though. This case was sized in an experimental air operated press.

With that much solid brass in the base it would be an interesting bullet. The thin walls of the 9mm would open up drasticly at first then the solid base would just keep going I bet.

Good shooting,

BT Sniper
    Come on BT, get your fingers out of my pockets. I told ya, I already get mail addressed to "Bakers Poor House". At the rate I'm going, I'm gonna have to sell IT. You've already got me on the hook for the .40-.45, and now your dangling the 308 carrot.
    Wooooo is me.

Boolit Buddy
    No need to go any heavier, or search for oddball brass.

the 147 grain NATO loading for 7.62x51 accounts for probably 85% of the 308w / 7.62 ammo fired in this country today. That is a perfect bullet for the FN/FAL, all of the AR-10 type clones & the M1a/ M14's out there.

That is a great bullet BT, I would not change a thing. Should be a great game bullet with a bonded core & that solid base. I bet a cross section looks a lot like the old Nosler Zipedo...

Nice work.

B.

Boolit Master

I agree with bohica2xo. No need to go heavier. You might be able to put a lead tip on it and get the 162gr that is so highly prized by many.

Boolit Buddy
    The initial step is to draw the annealed 9mm brass down to something like 306 or 307.

That is the critical start - then those who have ch4d or Corbin or most any other Dies can take over seating cores and forming points.

Add a little more lead and get a pointed soft point. Cut off the rim and groove to shift center of gravity to the rear - variations limited as always only by our own imagination and creativity.

Can you start off making the draw-down dies available?
    Bob

Boolit Buddy
    BT, what was the method of getting 9mm brass to under .308?

Vendor Sponsor

Two or three seperate draws in a good sizing die to get to under .308. I'm looking into material to put some sizing dies together.

Should be a pretty usfull set of sizing dies. Imagine all the possiblities with a 3 die sizing set.

First step- down to .350ish to use for 357 jackets.

Second step- take the .350 case down to .330ish to use for .338 jackets (doesn't have to be the 9mm case, it could be any case for the 338)

Last step to .300ish for the 308s. This last die could also be used to size the 5.7 case for the 180 grain bullets when needed. Me, I like the 180 grains for hunting out of my 300WM but you can bet I'll be trying some of these 160ish grian bullets from the 9mm jacket too. I'll get a cross cut to look at just how thick and solid that base is. Should be pretty impressive I bet.

With a good set of sizing dies any jacket from any piece of brass is possible.

Don't stop learning guys. Anything is possible.

Swage On!

BT Sniper
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Click link below!

Boolit Master
    Wow. I'm impressed.

Now I don't as of yet swage bullets, ( one addiction at a time please ) but I saw this thread and have to say that is super cool. As an avid .308 shooter I am way impressed. BT if at some point you want to make a bunch of those up, I would love to do some sort of swap so I could do some testing in my gas gun. Swage on fellas!!

Armorer

Boolit Buddy
    Definitely post your press set up

Boolit Mold
    I have been playing around with some 308 bullets myself. I have made some from 9mm but I like the 223 case better. I made a few draw dies first draw .350 second .300 then into the 308 die.

Boolit Buddy

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper View Post

Good shooting,

BT Sniper
    Very nice!

Boolit Master
    I'd think that .223 brass should be useful for .308 jackets; it's plentiful and relatively inexpensive - especially once it's retired from reloading...
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    WOW! Thats awsome!
    NRA LIFER .. "THE CAST BULLET HANDLOADER IS THE ONLY ONE THAT REALLY MAKES ANY OF HIS AMMUNITION. OTHERS MEARLY ASSEMBLE IT". -E.H. HARRISON

----------------------
    "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
    Thomas Jefferson
    ------
    "Government is not a solution to our problem, government is the problem."
    -- Ronald Reagan

Boolit Buddy
    I am interested.... Looks great. I might be able to shoot 308 again with out breaking my pocket book....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast