RepackboxSnyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savage 32 acp front sight

Boolit Master

Savage 32 acp front sight

I'm looking at a Savage 1917 .32 acp that's missing the front sight. If I can't find a replacement, any suggestions on how to make a sight?
    This pic is not the actual gun but you can see the sight.

I just had a look at my Savage and note that the sight is set in a key way milled into the slide. I suppose one could take some steel strap of appropriate thickness and width and file the end to shape then cut it off and silver solder the resulting piece in the slot in the slide. The sight on my pistol is about .017 tall. Quite a project.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    The gun is in really good shape except for that missing sight. It's also priced to reflect that missing sight. Tempting, but it might be beyond me.

I don't know what the asking is for the pistol but if cheap enough, I am sure that there is a gunsmith around who can dot the fix for a reasonable price. I would think well under a hundred would do the deed as it would in my area which is oil patch country.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    I'm going back for another look. They're asking $250 for the gun which is a good price.

At that price, unless the gun is a dog, you can well afford to fix the sight.

Boolit Master
    I bought the gun - it's in great shape. I can't find a front sight but there's complete slides for sale. I should be able to find something that will fit, or make one.

Nice looking gun. Has it been refinished?

Boolit Master
    I don't think it's been refinished. I do have several guns that were refinished but this doesn't have that look - maybe it's a very old reblue but I'm thinking it's original finish.

Boolit Master
    Dan Cash, you said that the sight on your gun is .017" tall. Do you know how long it is? I'm going to try to make one.

Mine measures .0295

Boolit Master
    Thanks

Boolit Master
    I fit a thin brass rod into the hole where the blade post would fit, and secured it with GB Weld. Any suggestions on how tall this post sight should be? I might cone shape it.

No idea regarding height. You will have to devise a depth gauge to measure the hole. I see some very careful file work in your future and some practice at silver soldering as I doubt JB Weld or any other epoxy will hold the sight in place.

Boolit Master
    When I have to make a replacement sight blade,( either to replace a missing one, or make a new one to adjust the Point of impact on a fixed sight model) I usually make a blade out of Brass as a pattern since it is easier to work with.
    With the top of the barrel being Grooved, I would Crazy Glue it in place to hold it during Test firing.
    The glue will hold it good enough to test fire it, and allow you to see if the dummy blade it too high, or too low.
    If , the sight is Too Low ( IE , gun shoots too high ) , then I just make a dummy that is a little higher.
    If it shoots too Low, then I just file the top of the dummy blade down a little at a time till I get it to shoot where I want it to at the distance I want it too.
    Once you have the height of the blade established, then a Permanent blade can be made and the dummy blade replaced and soldered in place.
    But once I make up the permanent blade, I Crazy glue it in place for on last Test Firing to make sure everything is shooting where I want it too.

Boolit Master
    The sight post hole in the slide goes right through to the barrel. I cut a piece approx. 1/2" long off the brass rod, then filed the end of the rod until it fit tightly into the hole. I used JB Weld, which should hold - there's no stress on the sight and no heat. I was able to remove any excess JB Weld from inside the slide (from the hole). Now I have to figure out how tall to make the sight. This should work until I find a proper sight.

I posted before I read LAGS post. Good info. Thanks.

Boolit Master

Sounds like a tenon sight.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

How are you doping with the sight replacement project?

Boolit Master
    I made a small post sight with a piece of brass. It's a bubba job (I'm still filing it), but strangely the gun shoots dead on with it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sounds like its good-to-go. Paint that critter with some bluing tint or black stuff, and carry on.

There was a time in past years when aesthetics carried a lot more weight with me than it does now. These days, I am ALL ABOUT functional integrity, and aesthetics can ride in the back seat. Or the pickup bed, if it gets crabby. I have a Win 94 that was in need of a new forearm/barrel band--those tiny threads on the cross-bolt strip out easily. Try as I might, a blue steel band was unobtainium. I had to settle for a brass-looking thing from one of the 1980s "Commemorative Of The Week" USRA production period. This one was likely meant for a rifle intended for display over the mantle of a cathouse fireplace, but it will serve. Buckshot and I installed it, and it serves on. I ignore it, though it was not my first choice.

All things have their limits, though. That green RayBar light tube gizmo on my 4" SP-101 front sight makes me crazy. HATE those things. Now that health and physical strength are returning, that whatzis gadgetry's days are truly numbered. Some things.....are just BEYOND THE PALE. The use of black spray paint suggests itself strongly.
    Last edited by 9.3X62AL; 09-19-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast