RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: arsenal 225 45 grain

Boolit Mold

arsenal 225 45 grain

Hello, is anyone using this boolit in their AR`s and if so how is it working? I would happy to see any load data.
    Thanks!

Moderator Emeritus

45 gr may be kind of light (and short) to stabilize in the typically fast twist AR's
    I like 60gr. I have a HM˛ mold that's designed for the AR that I like the best.
    I also have a NOE clone of the RCBS 22-055...which drops at 60gr, which works well in 1:9 twist AR's
    If you have a 1:7 twist AR, I'd look for something closer to 70 gr.

I like H4895 for a powder. I'd recommend to find a load that "just" cycles the AR (I'd start at 16gr and work up, I found it to be about 20gr with my DPMS). Then you can start looking for a accuracy load above that "just" cycles load, which is likely to be a narrow window.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    I should have been a little more specific. I have an upper which has a Tikka 22-250 1-14 twist varmint take off barrel that I got for a great price and had it reworked at the shop I work in. I left it at a 20 inch finished length and was just looking at that mold as a possibility. Carbine length gas. Thank you for your input!

Moderator Emeritus

Oh...yeah, I was refering to stock 223/556 AR's
    Sorry I can't help with 22-250, hopefully someone else can.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Mold
    Sorry from me as well to all, the 22-250 was shortened at the chamber and re-cut to 223 Wylde, I think that might have been an important detail , SHEESH, sometimes I`m about as bright as a 5 watt bulb!!

Boolit Grand Master

First off you should find the 14" 223 barrel very amicable to cast bullet use, especially the 45 gr bullets. I have tested that particular bullet but have tested the 225438 which were cast of linotype and HT'd. They weighed in at 43 gr fully dressed. I tested them in a 12" twist AR with 20" barrel. Accuracy was certainly acceptable equaling that of most M193 at 100 yards. I used H4895 with a Dacron filler though accuracy out to 100 yards wasn't much worse w/o the filler but the ES was 150+ fps. The load I settled on with the Dacron filler ran right at 2400 fps.

I suggest you use H4895 also or RL7. Start at 18 gr and use a Dacron filler. Work up in 1 gr increments to 23 gr. The accuracy with 10 shot groups at 100 yards will tell you what charge is best.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Mold
    Thank you so much Larry, I truly appreciate the info!