Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackboxInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long Term Storage of Firearms

If handguns, I would buy the VCI paper, and once wrapped, put in a small dessicant pack and VACUUM SEAL. You aren't going to trap enough moisture as there is practically zero air in the bag. Then place in your box. Further protection, place in a plastic gun box. If box is underwater, the vacuum bag will protect the handgun.
    I DO like the idea of a wooden crate also.
    BTW, Check with a few of the gunstores, they would most probably take a crate of whatever size you needed and store for a reasonable price. And pick one 10 miles inland that has been operational for a decade..... Get some insurance on them. Take plenty of pictures and if you do a crate, screw it shut and tape the seams well with a good duct tape.

Or rent a small storage building, again, inland, and put that crate in it. BTW, being in FL, I'd probably put that crate on a 2x4 stand that is as high as you can get it inside the storage building. If building survives and a 2 ft surge, you want it 3 ft off the ground. Just say'n. And prepay for your length of tour plus a couple of months. (You might not get back to FL directly) OH, you might find a storage building with interior humidity controls, that would be worth it if you have long guns. BTW, cheap vacuum food sealer is cheap....

Boolit Master

As an IT professional I a mostly agree with Petrol and Powder but I don’t advise storing data on a USB drive. I’ve had to give bad news to too many people that thought USB drives were a good way to store data. CDs or DVDs are much more reliable but still keep at least two copies in separate locations.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    As an IT professional I a mostly agree with Petrol and Powder but I don’t advise storing data on a USB drive. I’ve had to give bad news to too many people that thought USB drives were a good way to store data. CDs or DVDs are much more reliable but still keep at least two copies in separate locations.
    As a non-IT person I will say listen to David2011 because I know almost nothing about computers !

I just learned something about USB drives and CD's - Thank You.

A few have suggested Rig protective grease. My story is my brother is a die maker and was helping clean out a die storage building. They found twenty year old dies that had no rust on them and could have been run if needed!all the die where covered with Rig.

Banned
    I have been there myself. My druggie brother stole my guns from my parent's house on my first overseas tour.

My advice is to sell everything. In my situation I ended up extending a few times then re-upping. I was gone a lot longer than I had anticipated. In essence I took an 8 year break from guns and reloading.

Then, when I separated, I was knocking around a lot. So I should have just sold my stuff ahead of time. At least I could have stuck the money in the bank.

Steve in N CA

Banned
    Selling the guns is an option if the OP wishes to take that path AND has the time to sell them before he ships out.

However, if one has limited time you must pick a path: Either sell the guns or store the guns.
    If you take the storage path: A storage location needs to be found and secured, the guns need to be photographed, storage bags/cases etc. need to be acquired, preservative materials need to be acquired, the guns need to be cleaned, preserved and placed in containers and the guns need to be transported and placed in the storage location. All of that takes time.

If you take the selling route: the guns need to be advertised, you need to meet with buyers and the sales need to be made. If you don't get all of the guns sold before you must ship out, now you have a problem.

If the guns are not sentimental and you're not attached to them, selling makes a lot of sense but you need time to accomplish that. Consignment is a possibility but you need a trusted seller.

Boolit Master

RIG solved my short term and long term rust problem.

Hope for the best, plan for the worst.
    My amendment can beat up your amendment.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12