MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionWideners
Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bolt handle hitting ocular bell.

Boolit Master

Thanks bdicki.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I hate to tell you shimming your bases raises your scope up just as medium rings would. It’s going to take quite a few stacked shims to give your handle proper clearance and then your still going to bang your fingers on the optic when trying to cycle the bolt. I’ve messed with cutting aluminum cans to use for shims because I was to cheap to buy a $15 set of correct height rings in years past but it all works out in the end. I just hate cobbling with shims when there is an easier way to fix your problem. You can always use a different optic as well. My Leupolds have narrower bells VS my Nikons. Switching scope brands with a narrower bell will fix your issue as well. You could always move your optic back or forth to try and clear the bell from the bolt handle if you have enough eye relief. Do you really think your going to notice an 1/8 th of an inch higher in height by changing rings. I can’t tell any difference in ANY of my rifles when changing from low to high rings and ZERO change in accuracy and consistency. I switched out my Remington LTR last year from Leupold love rings to a steel EGW base and low rings mounted on top of it. Thought it would be weird and goofy with the change I height. I resighted it in the same day. I shot cloverleaves at 100 yards and two .3” groups in a row at 200 yards with it. Not trying to get under your skin but I think changing ring height is in all in your head...just like I used to be...afraid it wouldn’t shoot as flat when I raised my optic height. My LTR had no trajectory change out to my 200 yard testing even after I literally mounted my optic a good half in plus higher.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-11-2019 at 11:23 PM.

Shimming the bases would not raise them the same height as going to the next highest rings. A shim might be .010 where as the difference in the rings I'm using is .080. The bases I changed was .070 different. If I can get that .060 I will.

I can tell a difference in feel from changing the mounts I have that are .070 difference. I know changing ring height won't matter for accuracy. I don't care about target accuracy anyways. Anything less than 2" at 100 is fine for my purposes, but the gun has to feel right.

I don't have but 2 centerfire rifles, a winchester 94 and this savage 110. I don't have multiple scopes or the money to buy multiple scopes. I'd like a leupold m8, but for now the sportview will have to suffice.

If I had a the money to just take my gun to a shop to be fixed, it's be easy, but I wouldn't appreciate it nor would I learn anything.

Boolit Master

Taller rings coupled with a lace-on cheekpiece to maintain your relative face position. Some of them even carry your extra rounds for you.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12