Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2 Titan Reloading

Thread: K Kale Turk at the range...

Boolit Master

K Kale Turk at the range...

My buddy and I went to the range Friday morning, primarily so he could test fire his 22 Hornet. I went along and carried my unproven 98 Turk K Kale. Had a box of 188 grain cast boolits that I wanted to try out. Well, I started out at 50 yards and had to move the target up to 15 yards before I could get holes in my target. Not going to show y’all the target... too embarrassed.

Today, I decided to take a closer look at the Turk bedding and found the stock was putting quite a bit of pressure on the barrel right at the front of the upper handguard. I actually had to coax it out with a rubber mallet. It took a little work, but I got the stock relieved enough to make it a drop in fit. Had a little bit of Accu-gel on the shelf so I glassed the recoil lug area while I was at it.

This week will tell the tale. Hopefully I can post some good news.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Attachment 248041Attachment 248042

This one shoots well. Load was 180 gr cast, gas checked, Win. Lg. Rifle primers, 20 gr. IMR 4198. 25 yds.

DG

Boolit Master

Very nice group and nice looking Turk. If I can get mine to pull it together, I’ll work on boolit fitment next.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Buddy

How is your bore and crown? Sadly, the Turks are not loved by many, but the good flip side...their prices remain lower than others. These can be very good shooters, especially with a good bore.
    I have a "Turked" 1888 Commission rifle, it shoots very well.
    If you are casting for it, try to find a Lee Karabiner mould. They were made in limited runs, and shoot well in older 8mm rifles.
    Dan

Boolit Master

My bore has strong rifling with dark grooves which should be good for cast boolits. I also recut the crown. Going to slug the bore this week and check my 8mm moulds for fit.

Weather this week has been HOT here with temps between 96-99 degrees with high humidity. Too hot for range time.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Attachment 248041Attachment 248042

This one shoots well. Load was 180 gr cast, gas checked, Win. Lg. Rifle primers, 20 gr. IMR 4198. 25 yds.

DG
    I think once you move that load past 25 yds to 100 you will find you need to position the powder charge( dacron or manually) to get decent accuracy.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I used to have a Turk. It would hold 2 inch groups with J-words at 100 yards, open sights. Like a darned fool I sold it because it wasn't pretty! That was in my younger days. Bought that one directly from Turner Kirkland himself! Now I know that Pretty means a tight group at 100, not cosmetically beautiful. Older, but wiser now.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Grinch View Post
    My bore has strong rifling with dark grooves which should be good for cast boolits. I also recut the crown. Going to slug the bore this week and check my 8mm moulds for fit.

Weather this week has been HOT here with temps between 96-99 degrees with high humidity. Too hot for range time.
    I know what you mean about it being hot, I'm not far from you, in Putnam County, and I am very tired of this long hot Summer!
    Happy shooting! Dan

Boolit Master
    One thing worth mentioning is that a lot of the military rifles were zeroed for 300 meters or yards (depending on the country). So it can be quite annoying when you figure that out. Thus at 25 yards or so the bullets could easily go over the top of the target. But when the rifles were designed and setup, they were expecting soldiers would be shooting at other soldiers. It seems that the different countries decided that 300 meters made for a good zero point as it would let the rifle work out past 500 yards on man sized targets.

Boolit Grand Master

They are fun to shoot, this one will do 10 shot 100 yd groups of 2"on a good day, 4198 dacron and the 170 Lee cast of WW
    Charter Member #148