Reloading EverythingWidenersInline FabricationLoad Data
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Solution for flashing on rifle bullets?

Boolit Master

Possible new way to get rid of flash on bullets.

I know the best fix is a properly adjusted mould.
    However I find the best filled out and most consistent bullets drop from my Lyman 457132 using about a 700 degree alloy of 50/50 COWW and Pure with some added tin and the use of a label to "pressure pour" I know the heat convinced with the alloy having a lower surface tension and the ladle can make the alloy want to seep into any nook and cranny of a mould.

So I could play with a lower alloy temp and a faster cadence but that always gives me frosted bullets.

Having said all of that I end up with some flashing on the bullet bases from time to time and though up a remedy. I don't know if it's any good or if it's been done.

After peeling off any flash possible with my nail I ran the base of these bullets into the lee chamfer tool.
    https://leeprecision.com/chamfer-tool.html
    I just broke the edge a few thousandths and any remaining flashing flaked right off. This may not give me the most consistent bullet bases but I would think it's an improvement over some folded over bits of flashing.
    In hindsight I think I would have done this operation before sizing, especially because these bullets are being sized down from as cast about .459" down to .453" for paper patching. The relatively large drop in diameter might flatten out the base and leave it with almost zero bevel.

Anyway what are your thoughts? Have you done this? Will you give it a try?
    I'm going to grab a new chamfer tool from my local shop this week (stocking Lee dealer with all of the items they sell including moulds) because my old one is a little beat up and I'm guessing a nice new sharp one would cut a little nicer.
    Last edited by Michael J. Spangler; 09-09-2019 at 08:53 AM.

When that happens to me, and I know the mold is closing right-
    either using more pure lead in the alloy, and/or backing off the temperature a tiny bit fixed it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    When that happens to me, and I know the mold is closing right-
    either using more pure lead in the alloy, and/or backing off the temperature a tiny bit fixed it.
    That usually works but then I have less than perfect fill out on this big old 535 grain bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael J. Spangler View Post
    I know the best fix is a properly adjusted mould.
    However I find the best filled out and most consistent bullets drop from my Lyman 457132 using about a 700 degree alloy of 50/50 COWW and Pure with some added tin and the use of a label to "pressure pour" I know the heat convinced with the alloy having a lower surface tension and the ladle can make the alloy want to seep into any nook and cranny of a mould.

So I could play with a lower alloy temp and a faster cadence but that always gives me frosted bullets.

Having said all of that I end up with some flashing on the bullet bases from time to time and though up a remedy. I don't know if it's any good or if it's been done.

After peeling off any flash possible with my nail I ran the base of these bullets into the lee chamfer tool.
    https://leeprecision.com/chamfer-tool.html
    I just broke the edge a few thousandths and any remaining flashing flaked right off. This may not give me the most consistent bullet bases but I would think it's an improvement over some folded over bits of flashing.
    In hindsight I think I would have done this operation before sizing, especially because these bullets are being sized down from as cast about .459" down to .453" for paper patching. The relatively large drop in diameter might flatten out the base and leave it with almost zero bevel.

Anyway what are your thoughts? Have you done this? Will you give it a try?
    I'm going to grab a new chamfer tool from my local shop this week (stocking Lee dealer with all of the items they sell including moulds) because my old one is a little beat up and I'm guessing a nice new sharp one would cut a little nicer.
    Frosted boolits are not a problem beyond appearance, and they shoot fine. When I have that problem, it usually means the sprue cutter plate is not flat to the top of the mold.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by WRideout View Post
    Frosted boolits are not a problem beyond appearance, and they shoot fine. When I have that problem, it usually means the sprue cutter plate is not flat to the top of the mold.

Wayne
    As stated I don’t have issues with this mould with a less rich alloy or with a lower temp.
    I think it’s more of the heat and alloy. Like when you pressure cast and can even get alloy to flow into vent lines.

Either way the thread was more about a solution to bullets that have flashing on the bases after the fact.
    I also stated that I know the best solution is to get the mould running without any flashing to begin with and that it’s more of an issue of the alloy and heat causing it but the alloy and heat being necessary to a perfect casting.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm struggling with this myself on one of my moulds.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
    I'm struggling with this myself on one of my moulds.
    Might be worth trying this.
    Or if you can use a lower tin alloy or higher antimony to up the surface tension without ruining how the mould fills out.
    It’s a balancing act with these big bullets.

Boolit Master

Do you lube the sprue plate face with Bullshop type lube? That always helps me a bit. Some of my LEE 6 cavs have tens of thousands of bullets cast with them and they just don't fit as well as they used to, but for SASS type shooting I don't sweat it.

Boolit Master
    You could open up the sprue hole on the sprue plate to avoid having to use the pressure casting. And open the hole in your ladle if your having problems with mold fill out. I use a center bit such as used in a lathe as I have a few older ones that don't cut as well. And you could lap the sprue plate on the mold side. You'd be surprised how flat they aren't. Frank

Boolit Grand Master

What's the problem? If you are sizing them down that much the flashing is long gone. Yeah, I'd rub as much off as I can, but not worry.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Smith View Post
    What's the problem? If you are sizing them down that much the flashing is long gone. Yeah, I'd rub as much off as I can, but not worry.
    I’m just trying to show another fix for flashing issues.
    I should have worded the title better because everyone thinks I’m looking for a fix. I’m giving a possible fix that’s all.

Boolit Master

I've run a bunch of them and encountered the same problem. Now, this is not a flip answer but your mould blocks are too hot. The problem with the Lyman moulds is their small iron blocks for the big bullets don't dissipate heat fast enough for you to cast at your normal casting tempo. Lot of temperature going into those small blocks with each pour. I slowed my casting tempo down and it went away. I even went so far as to make a casting shelf with a small squirrel cage fan mounted under a screen mesh that I set my moulds on while cooling. This helped some. We even experimented with mounting serrated aluminum cooling blocks and this worked to dissipate the heat but made the blocks cumbersome to cast with. I'll bet an aluminum mould of that design would also eliminate the problem as they bleed off heat like crazy./beagle
    diplomacy is being able to say, "nice doggie" until you find a big rock.....

Boolit Master
    I ladle cast. When I get occasional flashing on the base, the sprew plate is out of adjustment. Sometimes, the adjusting screw loosens. Another cause, is that a fleck of lead, slightly raises the plate. Check/clean bottom of plate and add lube.

Winelover

Boolit Master

Not sure if beveling the base with a chamfer tool to get rid of flashing is an optimum idea, especially sizing down quite a bit from .459 to .453. I'd rather size them upside down & that should take care of any flashing. You may not want lead shavings or worse, dust collecting around the bench. As others have mentioned, flashing may indicate uneven contact surface between mold & sprue plate.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Grand Master

Have you tried not "pressure pouring"? I have a few molds that do the same ("flashing") when I used a ladle and pressure poured. My fix? Don't pressure pour. I got/get good fill out which I control with temperatures, with all my alloys from my "mystery metal", to range scrap, my handgun bullet alloy (BHN 12), Lyman #2 and on the rare occasions when I use it, linotype...
    Last edited by mdi; 09-10-2019 at 03:57 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy
    I've really been struggling with rounded bases as well, despite playing with temperature and loosening my sprue plates so they sing freely. A fairly heavy pour pressure is the only thing I have going to mitigate those.

Boolit Master
    Never had to pressure pour, when ladle casting, to avoid rounded bases. Providing a big enough (hammer)ladle is used. I routinely use a #2 Rowell ladle...........provides enough alloy, as well as pouring heat. Rounded bases are the result of mould not getting enough alloy, from the sprew puddle. And/or the mould isn't up to the right temperature. Flooding the mould with enough molten alloy will get and keep a mould up to the right casting temperature.

Winelover

Boolit Grand Master

I believe the finning, in my experience, is due to the "pressure pour". I would address the rounded bases/fillout as a separate "problem". I can only share my experience; pressure pour equals finning. Rounded bottoms/fillout can be worked out with temperature changes (both mold and alloy), alloy and methods.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by winelover View Post
    I ladle cast. When I get occasional flashing on the base, the sprew plate is out of adjustment. Sometimes, the adjusting screw loosens. Another cause, is that a fleck of lead, slightly raises the plate. Check/clean bottom of plate and add lube.

Winelover
    Bingo!!! Give this man a cigar!!! Every single time I see flash on my bases, it's because the sprue plate screw is out of adjustment! Never fails!
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown