Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Green beans

Boolit Master

Green beans

I'm stuck in the house today, canning green beans, because yesterday I picked about 7 gallons of them. Just as hard on my back standing at the sink all day as bent over picking them. Got 60 pints canned so far, and when I'm out of pints, will do a dozen quarts. I also made a batch of pickled 3 bean salad and canned it,and might do some more if it turns out to be good. Haven't even eaten a tomato yet, let alone canned any.

Helping with stuff like that is why God invented Grand Kids.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

I blanch and freeze in meal size portions, food saver bags(pint size). Can drop the bag in hot water to reheat or my favorite pour the beans into hot bacon fat with sliced garlic...

Boolit Master
    Freezing does sound a lot easier, but I'm going to need the freezer space for a beef later this year

Boolit Master
    Each weekend we have been doing a bit of canning ( the missus & I). So far we have done up 24-25 pints of spaghetti sauce, 4 qt Corn, & today we did 9 pints salsa. Next week is our "green bean weekend", then it is another round of salsa I am thinking. Waiting on Beets & other veggies.

That is our doins so far.

We do not can as much as we used to since our kids are grown & gone. Otherwise, I think we would be on par with the amounts in the OP.

Our gardens are smaller though as well & that usually shows the difference.

Have fun, I think it is another "dying art", & kind of like what we discuss here in the CB.GL forum most of the time.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Freezing is fine but canning does so change the flavor. My Dad did not like green beans but did like "hulls" so we always picked them if we could before they were full. I sure do miss him.

Boolit Master
    We much prefer then canned. We canned about the same amount, but in the spring. More salsa than I can count, black berry jam, berries and pie filing, yellow eyed dry beans, and tomatoes! Still have okra, peppers, and watermelons. Fall garden has English peas about 6 inches high, kale and turnips as well. Good eats!