WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: Ruger PCC .40 S&W Carbine

Ruger PCC .40 S&W Carbine

Decided to make this a dedicated Thread since it only got one reply on the PCC9 thread.

OK I have been waiting to show this here as there has been so much bashing of these guns that people might think me un-knowledgeable about the subject. The fact that some think it is ugly is a non issue to anyone with a brain. In guns, functionality and usability is king, and that's all I'm interested in.

I got one of the first Ruger PCC 40's that were shipped at the end of May this year.I waited for these guns for over a year after I first asked Mark Gurney last year "Where is the .40's?" He told me to be patient and it was worth the wait..

I don't do 9MM and have 2 .40 cal Glocks (G35 and G23)and this gun takes all their magazines including Glock 22 round and KCI 31 round mags, and runs them all flawlessly. So far the only Mag that has given me trouble is a 9 round G27 mag which I stopped using.

I installed a Bushnell TRS 25 on my gun immediately after verifying the zero of the irons and started blazing away. After initial zeroing of the Red Dot I shot this 10 shot group at 50 yards, it measures 3" x 1 3/4". This was shot with Winchester 165 gr FMJ Target ammo from Walmart,(not reloads as written on the target) and this level of accuracy is entirely adequate for the intended purposes of this gun, which is Local 3 Gun Shoots, Plinking and Home Defense. Also 180 gr bullets have more knock down power than 124 gr 9 mm rounds..

The gun runs well and is breaking in nicely. It will be fully broke in after my upcoming trip to Front Sight in October. I will be shooting it again this weekend at a 3 gun shoot in Santa Barbara at the Winchester Canyon Gun Club, along with my G23 and Browning A5.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

This is a post from CWLongshot I brought along as it was the only reply.

Good show Randy!

I have a mirror story. I too waited and waited for the 40. Grabbed the very first onemmy dealer was able to get. Right to the range with it!

I did have stopages straight outta the gate. But it was just first shot troubles as after running a box or three that mag and that ammo that wouldnt run ran perfectly.

As it standa now, mine is well
    Broken in asits pastbthe 1500 mark on my ammo. It has only shot a few factory over the chrono as a comparison only.

This gun is my truck/travel/steel fun gun. I have yet to use it in a match. But it will do fine. I want leave it irons as its most durable but I mounted a scope for accuracy then a dot to try. Now it's wearing only its factory peeps.

I haven't had any stoppage since the second or third magazine. I run mostlyG27 magazines with base plates to make the 10 as my state has a magazine legality limitation. I can run my std cap mags on the range and at home but not as defense. Ooh I have had issue with a aftermarket fun stick. But its magazine only as other 40’s will not run it either. Its been “retired”.

Velocities on std target ammo surpasses 10mm full house loads and my heavy/defensive loads are AWSOME VELOCITIES/ENERGYS far surpassing the heaviest 100mm HG loads.

I gonna use this on Hogs next chance I get!! I have a hard cast WFN 198g that feeds fine and clocks to nearly 1400 fps from this 16” Bbl. It should be devastating!

Accuracy with the scope was sub 2” @ 100 with jacketed and about 4-5” with my lighter steel lead
    loads W/power pro and a Lyman 180rfn. Im happy with that.

CW
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

I have since shot this gun alot more with about 400 rounds thru it now. I went to the range and fired 150 rounds thru it before my last 3 gun and it helped the function alot. All mags worked well.

In my 3 gun last weekend (9/1/19 ) I had problems with long distance targets, but had major problems with the pistol stages as well. I was repeatedly missing 8x10 steel targets at 5-7 yards with my pistol even when slowing down (perfect sight pic and trigger press) and I ain't that bad. Something was definitely wrong!

After the shoot I went back and examined all my magazines (I was using the same mags in both guns) and found I had loaded all of them with Selliers & Belloit 180 gr loads. I had bought this stuff cuz it was on sale and I needed Cheap Factory Loaded Ammo to shoot a Front Sight, so far I have not been impressed in the slightest!!!.

I got home and pulled 3 bullets and they all measured .397 !!!. The rounds were not taper crimped in the traditional sense, and this was done I think to present the complete case mouth for headspacing. It was like the entire case was taper crimped to hold the bullet and yes they had crushed the bullets when doing it.

I only had one Malfunction during the 50 or so rounds I threw at the targets with the rifle, and simply racking the bolt fixed that. My biggest problem was that I had sighted the rifle in with 165 gr Winchester ammo and the 180 gr S&B ammo was shooting way low. like a foot low at 100 yards and 3 feet low and a foot to the right at 200!

Big take away from that experience was,,, neither one of my guns wanted anything to do with that ammo. It will be burned up at the range, plinking, and the cases reloaded with my PC'd Lee 175 gr TC boolits. Need to set up the 550B for .40 S&W.

So the Ruger PCC .40 is getting better every time I shoot it. I think I'm going to keep it.

Note: the big white dots on the TRS 25 lighting dial. This is so you can easily see if the unit is turned off before you store it with it left on and kill the battery.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-08-2019 at 04:49 PM.

Ran another 100 rounds thru it yesterday. NO MALFUNCTIONS at all! Was refining the zero on the optic to 1" high at 50 yards with Winchester White Box .40 S&W 165 gr Target Ammo which effectively means dead on at 75 yards and 3" low at 100 yards.

I am good to go to Front Sight next week with the gun.

Had 3 shot groups yesterday in the 1.5" range at 50 yards with the Winchester Ammo, and similar with my Reloads.

The gun is also dead on at 17 yards which means I don't have to do "Compensated Head Shots," where you hold over to deliver a shot that goes lower because of the distance between the optic and the bore.. Just put the dot in the middle of the head box and let fly.

Loving this gun.

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    My friend got one in 9mm and we shot about 200 rounds when he first got it and it shot fine. Its probably not the smallest or lightest carbine but it worked fine. I would like to see one in 10mm I'm not sure if they are making one now.

Boolit Master

Hello Randy!

I also shot my gun in a Steel match last weekend. I have six stages, four of them I had FTF problems. Im blaming the bullet here. On the fifth stage I only had 20 targets a d I didnt miss so I posted a very good score. On the sixth stage it was 30 targets so I have a mag change that the 9mm guys didnt. SO over all for me I did pitiful. Scoring 17in a field of 42. Not all in my open site class, but over all numbers.

The FTF was twice a bullet stuck in chamber and miss fired. It was not OAL, it was diameter issue. These bullets where a small Amount I bought and thought they where my Lyman 180 RNFP cast. They are very close in profile. Ill shoot the rest up in practice.

Then twice more feeding second round into chamber (Rookie mistake filling mag full capacity) I haven’t cleaned the gun since so I will then shot it again and see what happens.

Accuracy is not a problem. My cast shoots plenty accurate. I never looked for accuracy. I used the same load I like for my other 40 carbine. And it works well. Out @ 50 you can cover the group with palm of your hand. (Shot standing off hand) i have shot some of my 135 hot loads and they print less than 1/2 that size. I think about taking a deer with it.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191007_202406-1612x784.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	57.1 KB 
ID:	250168

Here's my PC 9 that I got here a few weeks ago! It was just a spur of the moment thing, always wanted something like it. Taking Glock mags sold it to me when it came out. I mistakenly decided to see what kinds of go-fast parts were available for it. And it quickly became a prepped PCC gun for USPSA when the mood strikes. Not pictured is the dot is now on the barrel where the rear sight was. Now its closer to the bore axis and stays with the barrel so takedown won't effect zero. Also now has an Mcarbo trigger and foam cheek riser/cushion. The stock trigger left a lot to be desired for my finely honed trigger dependency. I did some sear work on it and its vastly better now. I actually got too light with it breaking in the ounce range! Much shorter, lighter, and crisp. Its a lot of fun!
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

I’ve had PCC 40 for a year. Just put in new extractor. Lots of feed and e issues. Could be break in, or lead bullet, or bent ejector or light load. Please help, don’t want to sell. I will file back part of extractor, change to jacketed, check ejector on ruger mag well and mags, beef up load. Have a great little brass catcher by elmfg. Other mcarbo parts, nice muzzle brake, very little noise. I like it but jams make me sore.
    Last edited by Gobeyond; 03-02-2021 at 02:57 AM.

Mine had some problems with full magazines. Dropping down to 20, for 22, or two less in shorter ones, fixed this.

They take a while to break in completely. 1000+ rounds. It should run just fine with PC'd boolits. I use Lee .401-175 TC PC'd in mine. Runs great.

Randy

Boolit Bub
    Love the concept of the Pistol Caliber Carbine, especially in 40 S&W.

Anyone have ballistic info on trajectory drop and down range energy compared to shooting out of a pistol?
    What might be a desired effective range of a Ruger PCC 40?

Banned

buddy just bought one of the 9mm braced pistols and hes not a big ruger fan and has sang praises on this one. Hes put about 3k through it hasnt missed a beat and was only cleaned after the first 1000 rounds. Wish theyd make that little braced pistol in 40! I know buying braced guns can come back and bite you in the but today but id roll the dice on that one.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Hmm, if my 9mm version doesn't work out maybe I should get the .40 instead? Already set up the cast and load for my Glock 22.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

I had both at one time now I just have the 40. Mine likes 8grs of HS-6 with the xtreme 165grhp. Shoots that load very well and very accurate. Its a fun gun to take to the range. I like the 40 better than the 9.
    NRA Life Member

Guns have two enemies Rust and Politicians

Yah I was shooting my home cast bullets. Too soft and bounced off feed ramp. Now shoots jacketed well. Need to harden up my alloy. Got some hardball in the pot, will try. Yah I’ve put on a few fancy extras just to hold it together. But it’s not even broken in by your guys standards.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Anybody try the Lee 401-175-TC in their PC carbine? My Glock 22 loves this boolit.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.