Load DataRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What is your method for keeping records?

I have my on index cards with the cartridge and then what the boolit is size to and then the billet mold , then OAL and then Powder then what powder and weights that works. then primer and if for the 308 win if it is regular brass or LC brass. and what the BHN at times that was used for some of them then add some notes on the bottom if need to like light load or sound like or like 22lr .Also put if the data is for semi auto or bolt . The spacers I put the cartridge that it is for or gauge . That I do not need to count on the computer or anything like that . It is there all the time. Works for me .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    I write caliber, boolit weight, powder and charge weight on masking tape and stick it on the box or jar

Boolit Master

Loose leaf binder with my own Excel spreadsheets. Includes load data and accuracy test information. Rifle ammo is stored in plastic cases and most pistol ammo is bagged in heavy poly bags, then in USGI ammo boxes. Each batch is accompanied by an index card with the load data for the batch. On some calibers like .40 S&W I have two standard loads. For steel plate I use a 165 grain SWC and for USPSA the boolit is a 180 truncated cone so they’re easy to tell apart.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

I don't load any precisions cartridges really so I don't bother with how many times fired but when I was loading the 300 RUM I had all my brass marked.
    I found a sharpie dot on the case head stayed on for a long time.

Boolit Grand Master
    I keep my targets shot
    I write down load data on target
    punch 3 holes in the target and put them in 3 ring binder
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

I use notebooks.

I keep a log for every casting session, so all my boolits have a batch number, so I can go back to my notebook and confirm alloy and age and sometimes I take several hardness readings over the age. Some stuff gets loaded right away, so this seems pointless, but other stuff seemingly never gets loaded...then it's real important to have that info tied to a batch number.

I keep another log for each batch of ammo loaded. I load lots of pistol ammo, in several calibers. Besides the usual load data and boolit info and case prep history...I also keep detailed info about the equipment used. I use the Lee auto-disk measure, so I like to have the cc of the disk used, and also the dies used and expanding inserts. This became more important when I started casting my own, and loading boolits, whereas when I just loaded J-words, it wasn't necessary to be so detailed.

I keep another log with nearly every range visit where I drag out the chrono. I like having all the details and target (or target descriptions).
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy
    I write the basic load data (boolit, powder, oal) on a piece of painters tape and stick that to the ziplock with the samples. When I get to the range I peel the tape and put it on the target. When I get home the target goes in a 3-ring binder and the complete load data and chrono results get entered into a simple database app that I wrote. I periodically export and print out the data and put that in the binder for the inevitable day that Mr Murphy's Law fries my hard-drive.

Boolit Mold
    I like to use the label stickers that you get with some plastic ammo boxes. Keeps track of whatever is in them at the moment load wise, how many reloads, etc. I use erasable pen or pencil on the labels because I usually use the same brass over and over when testing different loads. Mostly just change the powder load amounts.

I figure I'll start keeping a notebook of pet loads and crono data now that I've got a chrono to play with.

Banned

I bought several MTM ammo boxes for each caliber when I started reloading. They come with Load labels that can be stuck on by peeling the paper backing off. Instead of sticking them on the boxes, I taped enough of them together on a sheet of paper and made copies. Now when I load a batch I fill out a paper load label and put inside over the rounds, after firing the rounds I file the labels. I also keep my reloading records on my computer and I print them and file them in binders by firearms. (One for rifle loads, one for pistols and one for shotguns)

Boolit Master
    I try to remember......

Boolit Buddy
    Three ring binder. I also record the recommended powder range and recoil/accuracy.

Boolit Master
    I use a 3-ring binder with individual pages (1 or more as needed) arranged first by caliber moving from smallest to largest, then by individual firearm used for the test. Rifles and handguns are under separate tabs. Data includes all component detail, velocity is noted if the chronograph is used, also group size and range distance. Rarely will I insert weather conditions (temperature, wind, etc.). Inside the die boxes I keep duplicate data for those loads that have worked the best in a particular firearm (this to avoid having to send out the search party to find it when needed). Simple and handy so long as I remember to jot down the most recent tests. Test targets may appear between pages when really good results justify this.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I generally keep targets scattered around in the cabin, on the reloading bench, some out in the shop, some on the floor of the pickup. About 3/4 of them actually have useful load information on them, the rest have received the "Oh, I'll remember that" treatment. Locating any particular target entails a search of all forenamed areas.

Other than that, I do have the cool little Gunloads reloading booklets I keep for each firearm. I also use stick on data sheets Fatnhappy made for me inside the cartridge boxes.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Keep the targets with boolits weight load etc ,clip into Sierra Manual for that caliber .also have a note book with loads tried in the various calibers with group size notes etc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123