RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is your method for keeping records?

Boolit Master

What is your method for keeping records?

I always use the black and white speckled composition books.
    I try to write down as much info as I can
    Brass head stamp or mixed
    bullet
    alloy if cast
    size if cast
    lube or coating if cast
    powder and charge weight
    OAL
    primer
    also I like to write down what the source for the data was and if I had to extrapolate or use load data to get info on the charge. Say like using a Lyman 453423 (240grain) in place of a Lyman 454424 (250 grain) making notes on the bullet seating depth (combustion chamber) and bullet weight. In this case a lighter bullet with basically the same amount of bullet in the case so it's a safe bet to use the data.

The I'll leave room at the bottom of notes and results after range trips. Filling the pages in between with stuff that I noticed such as S&B brass sucks due to tight primers or thinner case necks on certain brands of 30/30 brass.

I don't write down every batch of 38s I make because it's mostly the Lyman 358156 cast out of the same alloy with the same lube, powder charge and primer. I know it works and its been noted in the book so I won't bother writing down every batch I make.

In order to sort that all out and label all of my loads I use the load data stickers that come with the MTM boxes and leave the notes in with the loaded ammo so I don't mix up different loads that look the same visually. Dropping the label in the box so I don't have a sticker mess on the box.

What is your method for keeping records and keeping all the reloads sorted out?

Boolit Grand Master

Microsoft Excel and printed labels.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-08-2019 at 04:26 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    I do the same as you do White speckled composition book
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

I keep a record book for reference to cal. specific load data.
    The charge, the boolit, and which weapon its for.

The loaded ammo itself is in zip-loc bags.
    Their info is written on the back of the wrapper for the primers used for them, and stuck inside.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

I have given up in keeping records in one place and instead use index cards or labels for individual ammo boxes. That means I potentially lose old load data but I also try and settle on a particular load for a given caliber, so it suits me fine.

I use a loose leaf binder. I assign each batch of rifle cases a lot number and have a sheet of paper for each that has times loaded, headstamp, the load used, ect. Then I also have a sheet for each caliber I load, where I record loads tried, various bullets and powders and the results. Notes on anything of value. I only have one gun in each caliber I load for currently, but I would keep separate notes for each gun, and also which loads worked well in each on the caliber page. I also keep a sheet for each gun as to springs/parts replaced, problems I've had and the resolution. And I keep a sheet on each mould as to what it likes or quirks. I might also keep a sheet with ideas to try for any of the above.

Super Moderator

I use the small 5" x 7" spiral notebooks, one for each caliber I load. Been doing it that way for years, old school I guess.

Boolit Grand Master

Just plain old wire bound note books I have kept data there since 1970. Before that I made lines and notes in the loading manual I had and old Ideal.

I write down all load data on index cards and store them by caliber in a plastic recipe box. Works quite well.
    The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
    Proverbs 1:7

Boolit Master
    Got a 50 cent notebook and taped tabs on it for different sections
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P_20190908_201450.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	35.3 KB 
ID:	248038
    Also helps to just not throw away paper targets, write some info on them and stack em up for when your trying to remember later

Boolit Master
    The serious stuff I have segregated notebooks for Rifle, Pistol, BP with details. The Ammo boxes have identification/SN of piece on end stickers and specifics on 3x5's in lids including X's loaded, with the majority of rifles having their own brass. May be overboard but works for me, ladder chase at range just draw vertical lines on card and work through box.

Boolit Master
    I use the same Black/White Speckled COmposition book. I do not use the same data though.

Mine is mostly grain weight of projectile, what powder used & best accuracy with that powder & weight in grains.

Example entry: 45ACP 230 gr./ Red Dot / 4.7 gr. - most accurate.

Meaning I only keep what "works for me", at the time, not what "did not work".

I keep data on my boxes of ammo with all the usual info as is on a data sheet sticker for individual boxes & for testing purposes.

I try to K.I.S.S..

YMMV as seen & read here.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master
    Stenographers pads or notebooks. Frank

I write info on index cards for each bag of ammo, and use stickers on boxes. Each includes the caliber in large print, and in small print the batch, loading and times fired.

Often I don't keep track of pistol ammos time fired.

I generally only keep a brief note on what didn't work or what worked best. Example, tried powder x 30-36 grains, 32 showed best accuracy but 34 was close and trajectory equalled factory ammo.

I do occasionally keep paper targets. I cut them to fit and hole them into my binder.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 09-08-2019 at 11:48 PM.

I don’t keep records; that way I “discover”new pet loads frequently. Again. I think.

I got rid of everything that came before, simplify !

I have reloaded too long to mess with any but the simplest systems that captures the vital info. I print one form for the caliber, one date/load per row, and all the vitals in columns, to include COAL, load data, velocity, spread, and SD, primer type/brand, etc. When I buy rifle brass, I assign it to an MTM box marked with caliber only, where it lives from then on. I only load the whole box at a time, so I keep track of times loaded. I keep a small "brass traveler" card with the box, showing firings, trimmings, flash hole deburr, case mouth chamfer/deburr.
    When making bullets, I also use a bullet traveler showing if it's lubed, actual weight, actual diameter, alloy, sized, diameter if so. Finally, I keep a small label inside each box identifying the load. So that's it, four forms. (I didn't list all the data recorded on the forms for clarity's sake.)
    I keep the printed forms, filled by hand, in 3 ring binders.
    "A society that values equality above liberty will have neither. A society that values liberty above equality will have plenty of both " - Milton Friedman

I keep all my field notes and cards in a notebook where I have tabs for each caliber.
    It is super important that you note the loads you shoot because 4 or 10 years from now you will simply forget...
    I met a guy at the long range the other day that said he was getting into reloading. I showed him my book and said "The quicker you get a book, the better.". He didn't look like he got it, but hopefully he did.
    WWG1WGA

loose leaf note book. printed log in each ammo container. One for the bullet cast and one for finished load with powder and its weight, bullet and its weight, sized to diameter over all length. Also have a comment section for what the load did and weather to load it again.

Boolit Master

I also use the loose leaf binder.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Loose leaf binder with pages made up with Excel with the information I want to capture. I have a tab for each caliber.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast