Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: To shoot or not? 357 w/blue dot

Boolit Buddy
    Now back living in the Uk after 10 glorious years living in France
    Felix,

Many thanks for detailing what SEE means.....

Safe shooting,

Limey
    .......never mind Quigley's gun....I just wish I had his eyesight!!!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by beagle View Post
    Take a .357 Mag sizing die (steel) and FL the loaded cartridge the length of the seated bullet. This will allow the bullets to be pulled with your fingers or a light tap of the inertia puller.

Of course, I wouldn't guarentee the diameter of the bullets. I've done thousands of rounds of pistol stuff this way. Once got a huge box of "stuff" from the gunshop that had been reloaded. Salvaged all the bullets for lead and the primers and brass. Being retired, you have a lot of time and little money./beagle
    i just tried that and all it did was make the boolit REALLY REALLY tight in the case.
    i can see the lube channels of the boolit through the case!
    you lost me on how this would work.

Boolit Master

Boolit Man
    went down to the bottom of the hill - my range
    and burned up 100 of these. no cratered primers or split cases
    my dan wesson came through fine!
    a little loud, woke up the neighbors!
    antique mdl 15 from ther late 60s
    4 digit serial number:

Boolit Master

I had never been around any Dan Wesson except my 14-5 and after seeing this picture realize that all they did was whack some metal out of that rear sight ramp and stick on an adjustable sight.

I have been on a quest for a 6" barrel for mine and can only find the barrel with the new style shroud.

The ergonomics of this gun feel strange at first, but to my taste actually begin to feel better/more comfortable than my S&Ws and Rugers with just a few minutes handling. Just need a new set of grips to reduce the distance from the backstrap to the trigger and I would be good to go.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by TCLouis View Post
    I had never been around any Dan Wesson except my 14-5 and after seeing this picture realize that all they did was whack some metal out of that rear sight ramp and stick on an adjustable sight.

I have been on a quest for a 6" barrel for mine and can only find the barrel with the new style shroud.

The ergonomics of this gun feel strange at first, but to my taste actually begin to feel better/more comfortable than my S&Ws and Rugers with just a few minutes handling. Just need a new set of grips to reduce the distance from the backstrap to the trigger and I would be good to go.
    good luck on that one. I searched for while and gave up.
    I took mine back to the factory in 1987 on a lunch break
    while working in E longmeadow MA. walk in, no appt.
    they replaced the old lockwork with new and fitted a new hand
    gave me the old parts, plus a brand new extra barrel
    took the smith 20 minutes to rebuild the gun, fired a dozen rounds and had it back to me in the waiting room.
    he looked up the gun and told me who it was originally sold to and when.
    all for no charge.
    the factory said they had a few 6 inch shrouds
    but they were reserved for lifetime-warranty work only

Boolit Master

Bad news

Quote Originally Posted by felix View Post
    Secondary explosion effect = SEE. We have expanded this terminology from its original meaning of multiple explosions to any rapid burn NOT intended (expected), and is not due to a mechanical error like over charging by accident or by the powder bridging in a dump type of measuring device. However, for a powder dump device to make a heavy charge, at least one charge was light, and, if fact, too light in some cases. That too light of a charge in a large case CAN cause a SEE condition, accidentally, or intentionally by loading the wrong charge of a wrong powder speed. ... felix
    They had a dust explosion in a coffee plant (Granite City IL) back in the late 50s/early 60s. The damage was unbelievable and you could smell the coffee for a long distance...and there were operating steel mills within a mile or less.

Someone did a book on military operations in industrial areas years ago. You set off a charge to stir up the dust and a second to ignite....KA-BOOM; one less factory for the war effort!

I work in a power plant. They have some stringently enforced rules about smoking in areas where coal dust is a problem. Periodically, we get safety warnings/meetings and they show the results of not following those procedures. It is impressive.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    Perhaps the most impressive one occurred sometime during the first quarter of 1900s. The potassium/sodium nitrate explosion in the Texas City/Baytown/Freeport area could be seen/heard in Houston, 60 miles away from the coast line. ... felix
    felix

Boolit Man
    deprimed, cleaned and resized cases
    all looked fine, no damaged cases or loose pocjets

BTW deonation would not be a concern in this load,
    probably just over pressure on the max load listed in the manual.
    with 12.5 grains in a 357 case, no room to go to into suspension
    WSPM primer will ignite all the powder immediately

now, if I heard 3 grains bullseye in a 357 case destroyed a pistol
    I would suspect detonation

I used to work in a hardboard mill
    all that wood dust was dangerous
    the baghouses had explosion vents on them

Boolit Grand Master
    There's a great article by Ken VanDenburg in the latest Handloader magazine about the events that lead up to this product warning.

The original letter from ATK concerning this warning is accurate, pressure problems were found while retesting older published loads. Part of it due to changes in the way Bluedot is now manufactured, part due to other component changes, and part due to better piezo pressure testing. Older Hercules Bluedot IS NOT included in this warning.

Ken also lists some suggested loading data for .41 magnum, .45 Colt, .44 magnum, .40 S&W, and .357 magnum.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore