MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Looking for information about the G2 Contenders in 30-30 Winchester

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Looking for information about the G2 Contenders in 30-30 Winchester

Hello everyone!
    Haven't posted in a while! I have wanted to find a 30-30 win contender barrel here in Canada for some years now.

I just happened to come across a brand new G2 Contender in 30-30 Winchester.
    I am expecting it to arrive within a week or so.

I am wondering how these new G2 30-30’s are throated from the factory.
    I am hoping to be able to seat a cast bullet into the lands without having to seat the bullet too far out of the case.

How are these new barrels typically throated from the factory?

The last factory barrel I managed to obtain (357Maximum, 21”), had such an extremely long throat it was ridiculous! The lead was no less than 7/8” in front of the case mouth! I could place a 220 grain semi-wad cutter in front of the case and close the action WITHOUT THE BULLET seating into the case mouth!
    I have never seen or heard of a chamber with a lead that long! Lol!

I am just hoping for a usable chamber dimension for both J-words and cast.

What have you shooters seen in these 30-30 carbines chambers?
    Last edited by Dthunter; 09-08-2019 at 12:10 AM. Reason: Spelling

IDK about the throating, but can tell you that I was able to buy a nearly-new .30-30 Contender ($100) from a fella who decided to immediately sell it after the barrel rose in recoil during his 1st shot, smacking him in the forehead & drawing blood.

I didn't bother to edjumicate him, instead just paying him his asking as fast as I could draw my wallet - especially since a likewise new T/C shoulder holster for was included...…....

The moral of my story is to advise that you grasp it tightly when shooting, and/or put a set of rubber bumpers on it ILO the walnut grip.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Come on fellow shooters, there has to be more information out there to share.

None of you have a G2 contender in 30-30 Winchester?

Boolit Grand Master

My 21" Contender carbine 30-30 barrel (TC factory) with 10" twist and multi groove rifling is about 25 yrs old. The OAL from breach face to the leade is 2.190". That leaves sufficient throat to seat a 311041 or 311291 to and crimp at the crimp groove. The RCBS 180 FN can also be seated so the GC stays in the base of the case neck. The Contenders throat is about 25 - 30 % longer than either of my M94 Winchesters. I find this TC Contender barrels throat to be excellent for cast bullets in the 30-30 cartridge.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    You might have better luck asking over at Greybeards Outdoors, the G2 designation only applies to the frame, I have a 14" 30/30 win. which I can switch between the G2 and my 1st. Gen. (Cougar on the side), haven't had to load for it yet so I can't answer your question.
    "People in Arizona carry guns," said Detective David Ramer, a Chandler police spokesman. You better be careful about who you are picking on...

Boolit Buddy
    I just got in 2 brand new 30-30 barrels for my G2 Contender and both barrels have NO freebore ahead of the chamber!

Twist rate is 1-10" with equal land and groove.

Me personally, I'm glad these chambers have no throat because it allows to cut the throat I want for a specific bullet in each barrel. Plus, both barrels will be rechambered to the 30-30 Ackley Improved, so that makes them better yet.

I gave up on Thompson Center barrels and their long throats decades ago. I only buy Match Grade Machine barrels now.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    I just got in 2 brand new 30-30 barrels for my G2 Contender and both barrels have NO freebore ahead of the chamber!........
    That's the unfortunate (or fortunate depending on how one looks at it) part with the new barrels. They are chambered to SAAMI specs. Thus with the 30-30 there is no free bore or throat as that is correct according to SAAMI.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    I just seat the bullet to fit and it will shoot so well you will be very surprised.

Boolit Master
    thank you guys.

My 30-30 Barrel Seems to have a nice short throat like Larry suggested.

Now to try the 311291's out.

Larry, what powder do you suggest for these bullets to maximise their velocity in a 1;10" twist 30-30?

Also, I have an old 99EG Savage that loves cast bullets as well! This rifle has a 1:12" twist. A bit better for cast shooting at higher velocity/pressures for sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Either H4895 or IMR4895 with the 311291 and a Dacron filler. I use IMR4895 at 26 gr with the Dacron filler under my 311291 for maximum velocity while holding 2 - 2 1/2 moa out to 200 yards. It runs 1975 fps. Better accuracy is had at 24.5 gr with the Dacron filler but it only runs 1840 fps. The 10" twist holds velocity down to maintain accuracy but at 1975 fps it is a deer killing load out to 175 - 200 yards with that bullet cast softer and HP'd 3/16" deep with a Forster 1/8" HP tool.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Thank you Larry! Very much appreciated! ��

Boolit Man
    I did a thread on my 14 starting loads earlier this year.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...r-pistol-loads

A cerro cast of the TC chamber had no throat to speak of. Only a .050 cone in front of the case. If a .125 throat is cut you actually have .175 in front of the case. So you loose the ability to shoot the light nosler ballistic tips. Cast is good in them. Some very accomplished bolt action bench shooters of the 30-30 NEVER size the body.
    Couper