RotoMetals2Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Canning wax bullets?

Boolit Buddy

fcvan...That was a very informative...and entertaining post.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Olive oil and beeswax.. The only lube I am permitted to make in the kitchen. Basis for our BP lube.
    I would think 10% olive oil to 90% (1-9) would get you there. Can always add another small amount of olive oil. Even tastes good !
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    Squirrels are horrible here and I can't make a dent in them. I use Super Colibri and a table for one at 20 yards

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    So, what is the concern about just shooting the wax buildup out with a mild metallic bullet load?

I realize this may seem like a dumb question but it appears to me that it would not be any worse than the practice of shooting jacketed bullets after lead bullets without cleaning in between.

I recall, back in the day, that there was a school of thought that after a session of lead bullets, one was supposed to fire several jacketed bullets to remove any leading. In fact some of the fellows following that theory would load some very square based jacketed bullets, backwards in the belief that it would scrape the lead out better. Personally I didn't have much luck doing it but those same fellows followed the practice religiously.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lostinidaho View Post
    Thanks! Good to watch & interesting!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Old NRA article on making wax bullets.... https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...d-wax-bullets/
    An old Cherokee was teaching his grandson about life. "Inside me two wolves fight," he told the boy.
    "One is evil - he is anger, envy, greed, arrogance, self-pity, resentment, lies, false pride, and ego. The other is good - he is joy, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, generosity, truth and faith. The same fight is inside you - and every other person, too."
    The grandson thought for a minute and asked,"Which wolf will win?"
    The old Cherokee replied, "The one you feed."

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by roysha View Post
    So, what is the concern about just shooting the wax buildup out with a mild metallic bullet load?
    roysha -- A good question for which the only answer -- why I remove all wax -- is FEAR! . I have first-hand witnessed a barrel ruined from being fired with a coating of oil which had not been removed -- it turning into a galling agent instead of a lubricant.
    My "fear" is of the unknown affect of leaving a wax coating, which like rust-preventative oil, is quite easily removed. I have taught so many years of firearm safety classes where a pristine, clean of anything barrel is requisite, I guess (in this case) I do practice precisely what I preach. My quite quick, easy, and simple "drill" is, immediately before range/hunt, I pull an Otis-type brush, followed by a couple of patches through each barrel. Generally, two shots are then fired to "prove" both sight-in and function, with -- a superstition I have -- ensuring the third shot, after the 2-shot fouling -- will be right on! Fyi, in my kit is a small container of cigarette lighter fluid, and that's what I use on both the brush and patches to ensure absence of oil. wax, and/or ???.

Perhaps one may shoot lead/jacketed safely in a wax laden barrel -- but, again, my FEAR of the unknown damage/personal injury prevents me from my trying.
    geo

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Pressman View Post
    I first learned about shooting wax boolits as an 18 year old from reading gun magazines, in 1967. I got a new Super Blackhawk the following year and snitched a bar of mom's canning paraffin, took a couple of 44 mag cases and drilled the flashholes then proceeded to have a literal blast plinking at paper targets in the basement.

Today I have an airsoft pistol, a Dasiy BB pistol and a Crossman CO2 pistol. But wax bullets remain my favorite for basement or garage plinking.

A Lyman wax boolit set from 1960, all the tools needed, a bar of wax and clearly written, illustrated instructions.

Plink On,
    Ken

Attachment 247986

Attachment 247987

Attachment 247988
    Wow, never knew they made such a thing. Now I have something to go look for.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Yep I'm a fan of was bullets as well as mouse fart loads,but a old rough rider by gun keeps the squirrels at bay in my pecan trees, I don't want to kill them,but I do want my pecans. Besides they will make a great squirrel stew later in the year,followed with a pecan pie. Dean Grennell wrote a article on wax bullets in his book The ABC's of Reloading (3rd Edition). Good read
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Vendor Sponsor

had to laugh .. read the title of thread … thought why would anyone want to can wax bullets
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Master
    Try a cylinder of shells loaded with dry tumbling material or grits or dried used coffee grounds to clean out the wax buildup.
    Then just clean as usual.
    WD 40 works to clean out the wax too.

When I clean my guns, I wipe bore dry and apply a good coat of oil. I alway run a couple patches through them before next use. I too am leery of ringing a barrel, better safe than sorry. I just bought a box of gun misc at a sale. There is a box of reddish orange plastic bullets marked .224 on box. They look like 22rf bullets. Never saw anything like them before. They should make some good cat stingers in 222 or 223. Need to find load data for them, maybe just primer.

Boolit Buddy

After reading the NRA recipe I'm wondering if it would work to substitute a stick of 50/50 bullet lube to a pound of paraffin. I've got a few odds and ends sticks of bullet lube that may never get used otherwise.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph...bullets.36350/

https://archive.org/stream/No_Second...ordan_djvu.txt

Bill Jordan's book " No Second Place Winners" is where I first heard of them. The links I just found with a Google search. I have never tryed them but it is what he said he used for stunt shooting show's.

Go to page 83 of the book to read what he said about it.
    We go through life trying to make the best decisions we can based on the best infomation we can find, that turns out to be wrong.

To eliminate any wax build up in the barrel...try Powder Coating.

Sorry....I couldn't resist.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

I seem to recall squirrels don't like hot spicy things like cayenne pepper. Birds can't taste it. You might try sprinkling some very rowdy ground hot peppers on the suet. Or hot sauce on seed.

Have a dog with a strong rodent prey drive. Squirrel has to beat the dog to the fence or a tree every time. Dog only has to win the race once. With luck the dog won't bring the dead and bedraggled squirrel to the back door to show your wife, that doesn't always go over well. Leave you to guess how I know.

I think I get not wanting to kill them for just tryin to get food. On the other hand if one is going to shoot them it does seem like doing so fatally might be the more humane approach. Injured wild animals can have a struggle to survive. I figured a squirrel that kept coming in the yard despite being chased by the dog was taking his chances and I'm pretty sure it didn't suffer long when caught by a standard schnauzer.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Buddy
    A warrant officer I worked for in the Marine Corps told of shooting rats at Khe Sahn. They pulled the bullets from .223 for the M16 and only left a tiny bit of powder. They took the case mouth and stuck it in a bar of Ivory soap. They shot the rats and the rats ran off to die elsewhere.

Boolit Master
    Some hot glue sticks are just right to load in a 45 acp case works on grackles
    Frank G.

I too, visualized a mason jar with wax bullets in it..... used to shoot indoors with those Gulfwax bullets. I drilled out the flash hole of 50 .38 Special cases just for them. Good Times.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast