Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: M629 performance center

Boolit Master

M629 performance center

I have come across a performance center 629 that seems to call my name. Single action is very nice, DA is really good as well. Gun is black except cylinder, assuming black chrome, it looks nice. 6.5 inch gun with the lil short 2 slot muzzle brake. I like it, is it worth 1000$?. it has a “hole” which falls is the “oh well” area for me, hunting gun. Don’t know about box or anything else, but dang this thing feels good! Any thoughts?
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

It's all about what you like, sir. I wonder why they didn't black chrome the cylinder? Anyway, I have a 629 6.5" stainless that I really like. Put some oversize combat-style grips on it, and it's very accurate. It does not have a Magnaport job, but I also have a 3" that does, and it will leave you in the middle of the path to total deafness. The 629 is a great hunting revolver, if you're inclined to not carry a suitable rifle. I just don't know exactly what to say about the price o $1,000. It seems high, especially for a specimen that may have been refinished, but very honestly I'm just kind of in shock at the prices asked for most guns now days. Follow your instincts and desires.
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 09-08-2019 at 10:26 AM.

Boolit Grand Master

If this is the stealth hunter model, I’ve lusted after those for a while. $1000 seems to be the going rate for a lightly used model. IIRC, street was around 1250-1350 new. It’s been a while since I looked.

Boolit Master
    It looks like the 170181 model, 7 1/2 inch. Thing is it is black chrome, except the cylinder is brushed stainless. At least I am assuming chrome, could be some other type coating, but it is hard, slick, and a bit shiny. Honestly, the blues look is why I picked it up to look. I gotta do some real soul searching here, don’t see any black ones on GB but it’s kinda pricy.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	072E8535-8AD7-4B44-B16F-E7C5E14AE507.jpeg 
Views:	13 
Size:	48.7 KB 
ID:	247993
    Just like this, but “blued” frame and barrel.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    I had one and let it get away really really dumb on my part it was incredibly accurate with 300 grain WFN and I took two elk with it. The one had was easy to carry and great shooter. $1000 is good price if it’s tight.

Boolit Master
    I am assuming the “cover” on the barrel rib, just ahead of the frame, is a pad for an optic mount. Is that proprietary or just drilled and tapped for a commercial mount? Might want to put a Reddot on this one,all my other revolvers are open sights. Eyes are getting ornery....

Boolit Grand Master

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder with that one. The bottom rib style that angles like that was never attractive to me but I can definitely encourage you if that’s what gives you the “I wants”.

The one I was referring to is this one:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/firearm...stealth-hunter

Boolit Master
    Agreed, it is a bit different looking, could be why I like it. Main thing is it isn’t as nose heavy as other 629s with a full lug and longish barrel.I have not held the stretch hunter, but it appears it would be barrel heavy, kinda like a 6 inch 617. Does anyone know what the black finish that S&W uses on their stainless guns? It looks a lot like bluing, but did not think stainless took bluing. Reason I wonder is wearability, I will be hunting with it and like leather holsters.

Boolit Grand Master

I imagine it is nitrocarburization (sp?). Essentially the most current quintessential tacticool black finish. Pretty darn durable too.