RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Early model 760 Powermaster.

Boolit Master

Early model 760 Powermaster.

Hi
    just won a very early wooden stocked Crosman Powermaster 760 type BB/pellet rifle.

I already have a Pumpmaster with a rifled barrel I installed myself so I know these can be very accurate rifles.

This older model has a metal receiver and brass turn bolt type probe.
    It looks to be complete and aside from surface rust near the muzzle the finish looks pretty much intact.
    It probably needs new seals, if soaking with ATF doesn't revitalize the old ones.

Any information on these and any special steps or parts needed to reseal would be appreciated.

I've resealed my other 760 so I've got the general idea of what should be inside, but I seem to remember the exhaust valve firing mechanism may be different on the very early models.

Is it a dump valve, similar to the Daisy 880, or linear hammer actuated like the later model 760 rifles?

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/ltEAA...ye/s-l1600.jpg

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/~4UAA...yz/s-l1600.jpg
    Last edited by Multigunner; 09-07-2019 at 12:44 AM.

Simplest way to do it will be to just replace the whole valve if this is the type you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crosman-760...gAAOSw8d9Uwyjn

Just ensure that your gun has this style pump cup.

There were as you say, different style valves on very early ones.

I rebuilt my 1978 761XL which has the same internals as a 760 and used this kit. My gun has the exact style bolt and bolt knob and similar wood.

The serial number can give you a year of manufacture if it's post '75.

https://www.crosman.com/discover/cro...-product-dates

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenring View Post
    Simplest way to do it will be to just replace the whole valve if this is the type you need.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Crosman-760...gAAOSw8d9Uwyjn

Just ensure that your gun has this style pump cup.

There were as you say, different style valves on very early ones.

I rebuilt my 1978 761XL which has the same internals as a 760 and used this kit. My gun has the exact style bolt and bolt knob and similar wood.

The serial number can give you a year of manufacture if it's post '75.

https://www.crosman.com/discover/cro...-product-dates
    Thanks for the reply.
    I've already got it working again, only needed cleaning and soaking the seals with transmission fluid.
    The valve is of the earliest type, far different from the one of your rifle.
    The barrel and bolt of your 761XL is interchangeable with my early version, yours being rifled while mine is smoothbore, but the valve of mine has a piston arrangement that kicks the linear hammer back to the cocked position on the first stoke of the pump.

It took a few dozen test firings with plenty of AFT in cylinder and valve to swell the seals up and blow out loosened crud.
    It is more accurate than I'd expected. IIRC Crosman bragged that the precision made smoothbore barrel made these rifles competion grade for BB only target matches of the day.

If I ever run across an XL rifled barrel I might switch it out, but since I already have an 80's production 760 upgraded with an M4 144 barrel I'd just as soon leave this old one as is, The steel BBs are deadly on rats and the like. Many years ago before I upgraded the 80's 760 I shot several large rats with it and stopped them in their tracks, full penetration of the bodies.
    Haven't had any rat problem in many years. An old factory, like the one in Stephen King's "The Graveyard Shift" had a truck fall through the loading dock into a WW1 era underground storage basement and millions of rats invaded the neighborhood. A target rich environment for months.

Crosman would do well to revisit the older design. A full metal receiver and bolt with proper sealing O-ring coupled with a feed mechanism for pellets would make for a real nice small game getter.
    I'm considering modifying the bolt of mine to add a groove for an O-ring seal. Apparently this can add up to 60 FPS to velocity at full charge.
    No need though unless I find an XL barrel I can use.

Good info.

My 761 is really more or less smoothbore now, thanks to years of BB use. It still shoots OK tho. Was under the Xmas tree way back in about '79 as I recall. A couple of years later Santa bought a 2200 Magnum and a few years after that a FWB127. Good old Santa!

I agree that Crosman should really bring back a wood and metal pumper like the 760. Ideal youth rifle and with modern engineering maybe it could even me made a we bit more powerful to appeal to the modern shooter.

I started a friends young son with my 761XL a year ago, he's hooked and now has his own little airgun. (albeit a Gamo)

Boolit Master
    The 761 in excellent or NOS condition is bringing a high price these day among airgun collectors. A guess almost all were worn to a nub by young shooters back in the day.

Since shooting my 760 SC (selfcocking) I'm pretty sure I'll leave it as is because it serves well as a BB plinker, far more accurate than any smoothbore airgun I've fired in the past.
    My rebarreled rifled plastic receiver 760 is amazingly accurate, I've never put any BBs through it and don't intend to.
    Theres a Crosman 66a rifle that looks to be based on the 760 with most of the upgrades we'd want in one, but I don't know if the receiver is metal, I sort of doubt it.

Edited to add
    The 66A version does have the metal receiver, but the later version has a plastic receiver.
    Last edited by Multigunner; 09-17-2019 at 02:34 AM.