RepackboxWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ladle Casting

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    When ladle casting, are people using only single or maybe double molds? Can you ladle cast for six cavity molds with big boolit sizes?

The most I've used so far is double cavity moulds, but I sometimes run them in tandem.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    When ladle casting, are people using only single or maybe double molds? Can you ladle cast for six cavity molds with big boolit sizes?
    I like to stick with mould blocks that will fit across the top of the pot. Keeps the run off, from the overflowing sprew puddle, flow back into the pot. I frequently use four cavity blocks, in my three mentioned pots. Biggest bullet, I cast in a four cavity, is a 265 grain 44 caliber bullet. However, the #2 Rowell, holds plenty of lead..............2 pounds worth, IIRC. That's more than enough for multiple large heavy bullets.

Winelover

Boolit Buddy
    I do a 220gr. 5 cav.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I haven’t bought a ladle yet, but I think I will. About how much lead do the RCBS and Lyman ladles hold? Doesn’t sound like one is better than the other. I guess I’ll go for the best price if no one advises me otherwise.
    Thanks for all the info.

Boolit Master
    I haven’t bought a ladle yet, but I think I will. About how much lead do the RCBS and Lyman ladles hold?
    Not nearly enough, IMO. Especially, for one just starting to ladle pour. Do yourself a favor and buy a bottom pour Rowell ladle. At least a #1, preferably a #2 size. Roto-Metals carries them. I just added them to my lead order. IIRC, a #1 holds a pound of lead, a #2, holds twice that amount. I recommend shortening the handles, though. The long handles are good for smelting but are unwieldy for casting. BTW, I have a RCBS ladle. It just sits unused. I did re-purpose the handle for my #1 Rowell............same threads, shorter handle.

Boolit Grand Master

I cast a 420gr 45 caliber six cavity Lee mold. Have to fill the ladle twice. Not a problem.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    My heavy duty stainless kitchen ladle with a 3/32" hole can hold a muffin tin ingot worth of alloy. I use a six cavity Lee mold to cast 148 gr .358 WC boolits. I only need to fill the ladle half full when I cast with this mold. Excess lead drips back into the 8" Dutch Oven.

The large surface area of the 8" pan does promote oxidation. Because of this I leave a layer of carbon ash on the melt surface.

JM

I haven’t bought a ladle yet, but I think I will. About how much lead do the RCBS and Lyman ladles hold? Doesn’t sound like one is better than the other. I guess I’ll go for the best price if no one advises me otherwise..
    Just getting started myself and my very first purchase is a Lyman ladle found on ebay. $14.50 total price, shipped to my door. I also have a bid on a Lee 2 cavity mold for the 380acp. The bullets are only 102gr and I figure this ladle will handle it just fine. Still undecided on how I am going to melt lead.

Boolit Grand Master

I like the rcbs version a little better than the lyman and it does hold a little more alloy. In my big pot the #1 rowel ladle will dip good, but its a tight fit in the electric pots. I also don't care for the longer handle on it for bullets, ingots its fine. The rowels do come in may sizes, I believe the #1 is a 1 lb ladle so a lot of lead there.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Don't over think it. I tried a bottom pour once just a couple of years ago - wasn't for me and I went right back to ladle pouring. I've ladle poured cast for over 55 years now. Everything from single cavity "bag molds" (round ball) to hollow base.

The number of cavities a mold has really has nothing to do with ladle casting. I think the most cavities I have is a 5 cavity mold. I have always used a bottom pour Lyman ladle. The number of cavities you can pour at "one time" - i.e. with one ladle full - is going to depend on how heavy the grain weight the bullet cavity is. I have some 4 cavities (NOE) for 38/257/9mm that I can easily pour all cavities with one ladle full. I have a NOE for the clone of a 454190 Lyman that requires me to put two cavities, dip and pour the next two. You can quickly learn to do it by keeping your lead and mold warm enough to go with the cadence of your pours.

As far as worrying about oxidizing, fluxing, etc. - again - don't overthink it. With a bottom pour ladle like the Lyman/Ideal or a RCBS, you are dipping down into the pot of molten lead and when you put into a mold cavity, you are essentially pouring from the bottom of the ladle. I've never had an issue or need to constantly keep fluxing - I flux with a dab of beeswax once the pot gets hot and unless the ingots I've purchased are exceedingly dirty, I don't flux again until I've poured enough to add lead to the pot - then wait for it to mel, flux and move on.

I'm not knocking bottom pour pots - I admire those that have the patience to use them and if they work for you, that's great. I'm just so used to using a pot and ladle that I'm more comfortable in that method and I have never had issues with it - have cast tens of thousands of hollow base mini balls and other boolits - never got in to hollow point. I use a cast iron Ideal pot the is much older than I and I'm no spring chicken. I've cast over wood fires, gas fired plumber's pots, LP hot plates - all good with them all.

Moderator Emeritus

GregLaROCHE -- A lot of good replies and suggestions vis your great question , but the ladle I use has yet to be mentioned. Mine is made by RCBS, and has a bottom pour hole on its bottom. I often have a fairly thick (~3/16") layer of sawdust atop my melt, to attenuate tin oxidation, etc., and was faced with same query as you posted. Hence, it seemed (and it works!) this RCBS tool would function. I dip it in the pot, stir things about to ensure a good alloy mix, and even if there are specks or pieces on top, it is moot, as a clean silver stream is dispensed from bottom.
    Just to offer an option which may work for you .

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RCBS dipper.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	9.9 KB 
ID:	248223

I do both pour, mainly bottom pour. When I use the ladle I use the same one I use for smelting. it is a good size one. I do have a Lyman but found the hole is small and after read what one on here done to there I will try that. I do cast 6 cav for 44 cal and with the ladle I use for smelting I am able to fill the cav. with out any problem.I flux before I start to pour but after I clean off the top .I just pour till I am down at the bottom of the pot.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Grand Master
    When I started, a ladle cast with a 10 cavity H&G mold and a 20# Lyman pot. It was a good sized ladle. Produced very accurate bullets.

I could not do it now as it is a heavy setup.
    Don Verna

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12