Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Smith & Wesson 625-6 45 Colt Hunter

Boolit Master

Smith & Wesson 625-6 45 Colt Hunter

Hello All,
    I recently acquired and started shooting this rare Smith & Wesson Performance Center (Lew Horton) 45 Colt Hunter.
    I was wondering if any else had one their shooting cast bullets in? I've shot 50 Lyman 454309's threw it so far with good results. Planning to shoot the 45-270 SAA tomorrow. Thanks for any advice in advance! Boats

Boolit Grand Master

I’m in love!

My favorite all purpose load with the 45-270-SAA is 13.5gr HS-6.

Suggest this article:

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...246partial.pdf

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I’m in love!

My favorite all purpose load with the 45-270-SAA is 13.5gr HS-6.

Suggest this article:

https://www.riflemagazine.com/magazi...246partial.pdf
    Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    That is one beutifull rare bird. Never have seen one. Has the hamer forged internals, hamer mounted fireing pin and no lock. Plus the old rifling. Never move that one. Will never see one made like that again.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Art in Colorado View Post
    That is one beutifull rare bird. Never have seen one. Has the hamer forged internals, hamer mounted fireing pin and no lock. Plus the old rifling. Never move that one. Will never see one made like that again.
    Thanks

Vendor Sponsor

According to John Linebaugh, those can take the Ruger Only loads up to 30,000psi but I would never subject any S&W to those pressures with heavy boolits. I would think the Tier 2 loads would be plenty enough for any game on the North American continent, and not beat the gun up.

I don't think I would want it for large bears, as nothing less than a 454 Casull or 480 Ruger would make me feel adequately armed. Even though a great number of bear attacks have been successfully terminated with factory loads in various non magnum calibers.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post
    According to John Linebaugh, those can take the Ruger Only loads up to 30,000psi but I would never subject any S&W to those pressures with heavy boolits. I would think the Tier 2 loads would be plenty enough for any game on the North American continent, and not beat the gun up.

I don't think I would want it for large bears, as nothing less than a 454 Casull or 480 Ruger would make me feel adequately armed. Even though a great number of bear attacks have been successfully terminated with factory loads in various non magnum calibers.
    Thanks

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

I think it was Brian Pierce that also suggested holding the N frames to “tier 2” loads as well. 13.5gr HS-6 with a 45-270-SAA is my favorite N frame heavy hitter. Also my general purpose load in my Marlin levers and even rugers

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    I think it was Brian Pierce that also suggested holding the N frames to “tier 2” loads as well. 13.5gr HS-6 with a 45-270-SAA is my favorite N frame heavy hitter. Also my general purpose load in my Marlin levers and even rugers
    Thanks.

Boolit Bub
    Another one of my "Grail" guns

Boolit Bub
    I also have the 625-6 hunter, I have shot it a few times using 250 Gr Lead RN and use Trail Boss, I installed wood target grips and a weaver pro point, haven't played with the Barrel weights for balance. Very Accurate Revolver.

Boolit Master
    Beautiful revolver! I believe that you'll like the 45-270 -SAA boolits.. when I had my Ruger Blackhawk that was the most accurate boolit that I could find.
    Tom
    μολὼν λαβέ

Did I ever mention that I hate to trim brass?

Boolit Master

Thanks for all the reply's