Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load DataInline Fabrication
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingPBcastco
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&R Sportsman some brands of ammo don't fit

H&R Sportsman some brands of ammo don't fit

I picked up a Sportsman a while ago and finally took it to the range to see what it liked. I had some Rem. Golden bullets and sub-sonics a box of Winchester super x and some CCI long rifles and CB rounds. The CCI long rifles loaded and fired fine as well as the golden bullets. the Remington sub sonics would not go into the cylinder at all. The Winchesters went in tight but after firing a few the cylinder would not advance and the fired rounds seemed to have a rounded base that was rubbing and binding. I fired the CB rounds last so as to not muck up the chambers and they were fine.
    At home i measured a few unfired rounds and found that the Winchester cases(.225) were about a thousandth larger than the CCI(.224) and the sub-sonics had a bullet that was at .225. I used a Starret mic.

I have no problem with any of these rounds in several other guns and was wondering if the H&R sportsman is known for tight chambers

by the way the little H&R 622 that i have likes everything i put in it.
    Thanks
    Michael
    Why Johnny Ringo you look like someone just walked over your grave.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by mdevlin53 View Post
    I picked up a Sportsman a while ago and finally took it to the range to see what it liked. I had some Rem. Golden bullets and sub-sonics a box of Winchester super x and some CCI long rifles and CB rounds. The CCI long rifles loaded and fired fine as well as the golden bullets. the Remington sub sonics would not go into the cylinder at all. The Winchesters went in tight but after firing a few the cylinder would not advance and the fired rounds seemed to have a rounded base that was rubbing and binding. I fired the CB rounds last so as to not muck up the chambers and they were fine.
    At home i measured a few unfired rounds and found that the Winchester cases(.225) were about a thousandth larger than the CCI(.224) and the sub-sonics had a bullet that was at .225. I used a Starret mic.

I have no problem with any of these rounds in several other guns and was wondering if the H&R sportsman is known for tight chambers

by the way the little H&R 622 that i have likes everything i put in it.
    Thanks
    Michael
    I had same problem with my new to me S&W 17-2 and Winchester. They had to be pushed with a bit of force to chamber and were a bit harded to extract. I measured then and if I remember I got the same measurment as you. They ran fine in my Ruger Mark IV. I will keep away from them in the future. Gave several of the 333 round boxes to a relative who shoots the Ruger semi-auto.

Boolit Master

I have read several reports of people claiming exceptional accuracy from those older H&R 22s. Mine dates from 1948 and my impression of the chamber throats is that they are tapered, which I regard as reaching for the stars in a 22 revolver.

Tight chambers are usually more accurate. The reason most commodity guns have loose chambers is exactly what you've discovered - commodity ammunition tolerances are sloppy.
    Cognitive Dissident

I am thinking that the gun i have is from before 1940 as there is no letter prefix on the serial number. I have 2 other brands of ammo i am going to try next week(they both fit the chambers). So far it is showing me that it is accurate functions well and is a pleasure to handle. In my opinion it is a really good looking gun and if the chance comes along i might just trade in my Ruger Mk I and get another one.

Boolit Buddy
    In later years didn't the H&R Sportsman have the model number 999? In the '80s I had a triple 9 with 6" barrel that was extremely accurate. I don't remember having any problems with ammo though.
    I now have a 929 with 6" barrel that's good too. I had a Pyachmeyer (?) adjustable rear sight installed which really helped.

Boolit Master
    try a copper bore brush may have some build up

The Sportsman 999 was H&Rs top of the line and I've had them that shot well. They are know for tight chambers but that's why they shoot better than most of the other models. Weak point of them is rachet teeth on cylinder.
    The hands are much harder steel than cylinders and will work on teeth to point the gun will jump time.

As with any new to me gun it got a complete take down inspection and cleaning prior to being loaded and fired. The gun is in very good condition and i don't think it has been shot very much at all. after the range trip i cleaned it again and the offending ammo still was tight.
    I am sure some brand will stand out and be the best for this particular gun, it always works out that way. the Mk I loves the winchester and my PPK 22 is particular to the golden bullets.
    As for the ratchet teeth on the cylinder i have that issue on the 622 one tooth is worn. I have it marked and that the chamber i keep empty when i carry it. I may go to Gunparts and pick up a spare just to have on hand.

The old timers use to say H&R 22 pistols should come with a pen knife with a broken blade to pry out empties. I have 3 S&W m17s, 2 m18s and a m34 that all extract sticky if not kept clean. If target shooting I run bronze brush through them when they start sticking. I know they ream chambers to cure this but I feel the tight chambers are why they shoot so well. I had Colt Diamondbacks that were the same way.

My '75 Single Six gets sticky extraction long before my wife's triple nine does. They both shoot well, though. I brush them out often because I frequently use CB/Colibris and .22Shorts as well as regular ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

I have a sportsman 999, don't know the date of manufacture, serial 87xxx.
    The chambers are tight, the rear sight, nice flat top, and wide.
    Good shooter.
    To lazy to chase arrows.
    Clodhopper

Boolit Master
    I had that issue with 22 lr revolvers. This is a more common issue than you might think. A good fix is to get a 22 lr revolver cylinder reamer. Mansen and Clymer make good ones. Brownell's has them. They cost 60-75 dollars. Turn by hand with a tap wrench. This will clean out the cylinders to SAAMI specs, which they should have been made in the first place. Basically the reamer just knocks off the high spots, and trues the cylinder up. Sometimes the factory reamers get worn, and the chambers are not quite to spec. Reaming does not touch the existing cylinder throat size, just the chamber.

Here is a link on the S&W form detailing this. http://smith-wessonforum.com/s-w-smi...22lr-s-ws.html
    Last edited by GBertolet; 09-26-2019 at 11:48 AM.

I have a couple bricks of Aquila and the gun seems to like them so i think i'll just shoot them and leave the pistol as is. Interestingly the Aquilas don't seem to shoot well in my other 22s either rifle or pistols so now i have a use for them. seems like all my 22s have a dedicated brand that they prefer.

Boolit Man
    I have a box Winchester T22 super x match that I measure little larger than other 22 lr I measured.
    I measured them because they would not chamber in my Browning 22 auto.
    I have shot several brands in that auto - only that Winchester ammo has been a problem in that gun.
    I verify I have clean chambers when I have a chambering issue.
    Thanks
    HawkEye

I tried some Browning BuckMark .22 LR and some Winchester SuperX last year ( same ammo). The bullets were so oversized that they jammed my Nylon66, wouldn’t fit in my bolt action 581, or my single six, or my nephews Ruger 22/45. I shot them up in a Heritage Rough Rider and they were a tight fit in that sloppy gun. Worst .22 ammo I’ve seen and that includes steel cased Russian.

Boolit Master

Smile

Walter Roper who worked for S &W later helped H&R design the 999 to tighter specs to make it a target pistol. If you ream out the cylinders you will ruin the accuracy.
    Smith and Wesson model 617s are tight cylinders and shoot like a target rifle, but only if you are a good enough shot.
    You should look up who Walter Roper is on the internet before you take a reamer to those guns to make loose tolerance ammo fit.Buy some Ely target ammo and you will pay premium price, but it is low velocity and will shoot very tight groups. I have a Smith 617 and the 22 ammo snaps into the chambers with a tight push, but after firing they come out easy enough. It has to be kept very clean. It does shoot like a rifle too.
    Even with the Walmart 22 ammo, when I can find it. They now quit selling ammo where I live close to St Louis in Illinois.
    Have to go to a gun store to buy higher priced 22ammo.
    It all snaps into the cylinder except the Remington target ammo and the Ely ammo. They go in easy.
    Walter Roper authored books on pistol and Revolver Shooting.
    Also developed and designed sights for target shooting.
    Read: Experiments of a Handgunner. Wolfe Pub.Co.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 10-04-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Having found some ammo that fits and shoots well i think i'll just keep it as is and enjoy it. On another note I picked up a Mannlicher Schoenauer in 30-06 and found it to be very particular about case length if the cases are the least bit stretched past the nominal dimention they won't chamber. Got two other 30-06s that are much less picky.
    That is why i enjoy this hobby. Get a gun tinker with it till it shoots as well as you can make it.

Shooting my new Ruger Wrangler today I noticed that Remington Golden LR required a push to get in the chambers while the CCI Mini mag slipped in normally and was more accurate to boot.

Boolit Buddy
    The 17-2 that I mentioned above left S&W in 1966 and chambered and ejected although tight with all I have tried except the Winchester bulk 333 rounds. A few years ago I had a no dash 4 inch 617 that had no problem with any 22 ammo . However, it did not shoot as well as my stainless 4 5/8 inch Super Single Six. I moved the 617 for a handsome profit. You never know how any rimfire will shoot with any diffrent ammo you until you try several. My 17-2 will be with me untill it is given to a family member when I am too old to use it. Hope for a good 10 to 15 more years.
    Last edited by Art in Colorado; 10-06-2019 at 07:56 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast