MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did some chunk shooting today!

Boolit Master

Did some chunk shooting today!

A friend has asked me about chunk shooting a few days ago. I had sold all my dedicated heavy barrel chunk guns, but I have a couple that will fill the bill ok. I used a TC Renegade stock/lock that I had glass bedded, and put on a 38" long, 1" across the flat .50 green mountain barrel I had won at a shoot a few years back. The barrel is a slow twist. I shot 4 shots to get the oil out of the barrel and get used to the gun, then put up a new target at 60yds. The 5 shot group was a hole about 4 bullet holes long. Not too bad for a gun I had not shot in 4 years, and coming back from 3 strokes in one day, a little over a year ago. I thank God that I still have good vision, and the ability to shoot my rifles and handguns. I have to walk with a forearm crutch due to the stroke leaving my right leg numb, and my right hand 50% numb, it comes and goes. I may compete at Friendship next year. Would anyone post a pic for me?

I would be honored to post a pic for you. I will PM you here in a minute.
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cb.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	41.5 KB 
ID:	247924

Koger, that is some nice shooting!
    " My people skills are just fine. It's my tolerance for idiots that needs work."

Boolit Master
    Thanks Kevin. In chunk shooting matches, you can only let the barrel lay across the chunk, the butt of the gun cannot rest on anything but your shoulder/hand. You can shoot any type target you like, that you can see to better group your shots, then you place the target for score, underneath the center of the group, and hope you and your gun are consistent! l have placed well in the Alvin York shoot, and shot the best X of the whole shoot once. I have also medaled several times at Friendship in the chunk matches. I will say, if you can finish in the top 20 at York, you can medal at Friendship. The Alvin York shoot is just that hard. I have looked at the wind flags on each end of the range, and saw them both pointing towards each other and whipping, try to dope that wind! 230 of the best shooters in the US and Canada gather their to shoot and enjoy each others company at the York shoot, or they did the last time I shot down there.

Somebody please explain or a reference to an explanation of "CHUNK GUNS". Heard and read the reference to them ... but ... never asked "what are they?".

Boolit Master

A chunk gun is a dedicated fixed sight generaly heavy barreled for as the old timers called a match or meat gun designed to put a round ball in an x at 60 yards. At the York you will see shooters using step ladders to load, barrels that long. The barrel is supported by a chunk, no rear support other than your sholder and hand. A servicable rifle can be had as stated above a T C Hawkins with a green mountain round ball twist. My rifles are T Cs with 40 cal and 50 cal 42 inches long. The 40 is more for table shooting done atb30 yards shot from a table sitting on a bucket. The match was designed to keep the old guys competing.
    BTW my 12 year old grandson placed just out of the top 100 at last years youk with a 36 cal T C Senaca
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    I have a chunk gun from way up North. I put a fancier stock on it and it shoots 40 rods GREAT! With its Douglas XX stainless barrel, Lewis trigger and lock......it is about my favorite.
    John

Boolit Master
    Oldracer, post some pics of your rig, I would love to see it!!

Thanks for the explanation.

Boolit Grand Master

For those who don't know, 40 rods is essentially 220 yards. Ned Robert's book has quite a bit about this class of shooting.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Just so I have this rite ;

A Chunk gun is a rifle that the barrel only touch's and rests on a "CHUNK". Is this correct?

No other regulations such as bore, ball or bullet, barrel length or ignition ... correct?

So if I put together an old Renegade for instance, stock rifle except for a butt pad and a long ... say 32 or 36 inch ... 1 and 1/4 inch barrel with fixed non adjustable peep rear and a globe front sight with the stock double set triggers ... I could compete?

Boolit Master
    OK big ted, here goes!
    1. It must be a traditional ML flintlock, percussion with a side hammer, or a underhammer. No inlines.
    2. You must shoot a patched round ball. No slugs or paper patched bullets, no sabots.
    3. All matches are at 60 yds. I have seen them 4=5 yards longer.
    4. You can shoot off of a chunk, such as a piece of railroad tie, or a log, or an adjustable rest that moves up or down. You can shoot off the hard surface, or place a sandbag on top to shoot off of it. You cannot have a rest, where if you have an attached bearing surface on the underside of your barrel, that guides the barrel. IE, your piece of wood or metal attached to the barrel to make is recoil smoothly, can not be in anything that guides it, it must be loose, as in an inch or two on either side of it.
    5. Open sights only, a peep sight is not considered an open sight! You can put any type of front sight on, and any type of open rear sight, as long as the buckhorns on top are a 1/4" apart , is what the regs at Friensip say. If any closer than that, you could use a small buckhorn sighe as a open top peep, or Friendship Cheater as they are called. If you shoot in any matches, and end up in the winner circle, your rifle will be inspected closely. Most of them are inspected before the match and stickers put on them to show this.

A TC Hawken or Renegade, with a 1", 1 1/8", or even a 11/4' barrel will be capable of being competitive. I have several TC Renegades with different barrels that are competitive. I prefer Green Mtn.

Oh that's awesome! Just sounds like a hoot. Are you timed for your shots? Lastly ... how many shots for score?

This seems to me like a good time. Real black powder I imagine.

Thanks koger for the info. 60ish yards sounds rite up my failing eyesight's alley.

Boolit Master
    At Friendship you shoot 3 shots for score during a 45 minute relay. Most other shoots have one shot per target, and you shoot 5-10 targets, and usually 1/2 an hour or how long it takes for all the participants to shoot, the more their is, the longer it takes. Hope you have fun trying this.I have won several medals at this in Friendship, and me and one of my best friends have a ball at it. One year I beat him, for 1st place, by .050 of an inch for 3 shots. The next year he beat me out of first by .025 of an inch. I think one of my Gold medal scores was something like .760 for all three shots, or all were within a 1/4" of dead center.

Boolit Master
    If you search for posts by my user name "oldracer" there should be some posts with pictures of various rifles I have made. If not post or PM me and I can email you some. If I remember correctly my chunk gun as it came to me had holes drilled for a Unertl scope so I spent 5 months looking. Found one for $750, 12 power at a pawn shop in Kentucky. I called the barrel maker (Douglas XX stainless) and although made loooooong ago the old fellow on the phone remembered making it! It has rifling like Pope made.
    John

Nice ... I will look. So you built a "Chunkgun" using a Unertl scope? Adds even more intrigue to an already fun sounding shooter! I even have a 10 X Unertl scope already. Seems like a 50 slow twist for patched ball shooting in a rigid heavy barreled rifle with fine set triggers shooting at 60 +or - yards.

Sounds very fun indeed!

Boolit Master
    I want to shoot it in our Schuetzen matches but the organizers won't let me. The main reason is how do we measure holes that big! Plus it doesn't use a cartridge, big deal! The original owner I was told had a John Unertl scope on the rifle when made. The mounts fit exactly on the existing holes????
    John
    Last edited by oldracer; 09-12-2019 at 10:34 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by oldracer View Post
    I want to shoot it in our Schuetzen matches but the organizers won't let me. The mail reason is how do we measure holes that big! Plus it doesn't use a cartridge, big deal! The original owner I was told had a John Unertl scope on the rifle when made. The mounts fit exactly on the existing holes????
    John
    Easy to mesure holes that big I do it a lot. You just need a proper template
    Don't buy nuthing you can't take home

Joel 3:10

Boolit Master
    Old Racer, are you shooting a patched round ball, or a slug, paper patched or other?

Oh my gosh those 38" GM's are heavy. Had mine rebored from .40 out to .52 for paper patching off the shelf fifty caliber rifle molds and it's still something fit for prying stumps out of the ground.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast