RepackboxTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Wideners Load Data

Thread: new Marlin adventure begins

Banned

new Marlin adventure begins

I have had good luck with new production Marlins (Remlins). I have a 2018 1894C that works great. And a 2018 1895CB that also runs great.

I have several JM Marlins and while the new ones aren't as smooth (yet) they are just as accurate.

So when I saw a new 1894CB in 45 Colt for a good price I jumped on it. When it got to my LGS I looked it over and I liked what I saw and did the paperwork.

At the range the first shots were at 50 yards with my standard 45 Colt load, a Lee 255 gr RF over 8.5 gr of Unique. The first 5 shots went into a 2 1/2" group at 50 yards. Windage was perfect and elevation was 1" above my aim point. I thought "Right on! Another winner!"

My happiness lasted for another 60 rounds. Then the bolt started binding on closing. The last 1" was next to impossible. Of course, once the bolt was closed opening was very, very difficult.

I was a little bummed. When I got it home I pulled the bolt. I then removed the ejector and re-installed the bolt. It ran as slick as my old JM's.

So since fall is coming and I will start shooting muzzleloaders I decided to keep an open mind and try Remington's customer service.

It took me just a few minutes on line to get the service request approved and get the return shipping documents printed. Another 30 seconds to schedule a UPS pick up. They will be here Monday and then the waiting starts.

If you are interested then I will keep you posted on the progress. I am actually very optimistic. In the last few years I have returned new firearms from Henry, CZ-USA, Ruger and Smith and Wesson (twice).

Thanks for listening,

Steve in N CA

Please keep us updated, Steve....

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    I'd like to hear the current status of Marlin, too. I've hesitated to buy a new Marlin because of the sliding reputation of the company. Another grand old American company slaughtered on the bean counter's alter.

Boolit Master

I also have a 2018 1894C that I love.

The little youth model 16" 336 that Academy sells looks very handy. Cheaper to finish methods are just a fact now. I'm just glad they still offer wood stocks.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    I'd like to hear the current status of Marlin, too. I've hesitated to buy a new Marlin because of the sliding reputation of the company. Another grand old American company slaughtered on the bean counter's alter.

I can't disagree with any of that. Here is my way of thinking though.

I have decided to give Marlin the benefit of the doubt and have faith in their new products. The dark years are behind them I believe and I feel sorry for my brothers who got some bad guns and then got burned by customer service.

But everything changes and I was finally willing to give them a second chance. I should note that I have several JM Marlins and I love them. I am a Marlin fan.

I bought a 2018 1894C and it is accurate, dependable and gets smoother the more that I shoot it.

I then bought a 2018 1895CB and it too is accurate and dependable. As a side note I should insert here that I am selling the 1895CB to a fellow forum member here. Not because I don't like it but because I am getting out of the 45-70 scene. I have tried lever actions, bolt actions and single shots. They all worked very well but the caliber itself does not do anything for me.

I don't hunt any more and I don't shoot past 100 yards on the target range so muzzleloaders and pistol caliber lever guns are my thing.

Back to the new Marlins.

So I am starting at zero with Marlin. The fact that my first 2 new Marlins are great is good. This Marlin is going back to customer service. I don't think this is bad, especially when you consider that in the past few years I have returned brand new guns to the factory from at least 4 different manufacturers. So a clunker gets through all of them occasionally.

Now I will say that if I get burned by Marlin on this rifle then I will not be so understanding. But so far the process has been good.

As a post scrip to this post I will add that the new Marlin CB models have got me thinking about selling my new 2018 1894C. That would free up some money to replace it with an 1894CB in 357 magnum. Not because it's not a good gun but because I really like that 20" octagon barrel.

Thanks for listening,

Steve in N CA

Boolit Grand Master

Steve, do keep us posted. I sent my S&W Model 3 back to them several years ago when they had major problems. It did take a while - they told me six months - but it is a custom shop gun (made in 2000) and they did fix it faster than they said. It was missing for several months, though. I posted here about it when it happened but it was several years ago.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Buddy
    I have an 1894cb .45 Colt made in june 2017 that has been slick and accurate. No problems at all. Had I your rifle I think I would have tried one of these first before sending it back: https://www.wildwestguns.com/product...proof-ejector/

Banned
    I actually tried swapping ejectors first with no change.

I thought "This is a brand new gun, why am I considering tinkering on it?" I automatically started trying to fix it myself. But I decided to try an experiment.

This time of year I generally shift to my blackpowder guns and I don't shoot as much smokeless. So I sent my new Marlin in to test their customer service.

My thoughts were that the worst that can happen is that they can't fix the problem and I will insist on a refund. I have had to get refunds in the past from Henry for a Big Boy steel in 357 and from CZ-USA for a 9mm PCR that was a hunk of crap.

The rifle was delivered to Marlin/Remington on Monday so while I wait I have been burning some Goex.

Steve in N CA

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Yesterday, the fun store had a new Henry Big Boy steel and Marlin 1894C both in .357. I was shocked at how good the Marlin looked, if not for the "Ilion, NY" stamp I would have guessed it was a nice late model JM. The Henry was very nice as always. They were priced within $30.00 of each other, and I would have been proud to take home either one!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Mold
    Greetings, fellas. Ive got a .44 1894CL, just a few months old. Had nothing but jams, but I’ve got it dialed now. Installed RP Precision ejector, then adjusted timing to slow the rise of the shell carrier. I’ve effectively made it controlled feed like my JM1895. Done plenty of googling, and there is scarce mention of controlled feed in traditional lever actions. Unless i’m mistaken, Marlin lever actions are all considered push-feed, and I have tinkered into unknown territory. Can anyone enlighten me?

Boolit Mold
    Also, I suspect my 45/70 only grabs the rim because somebody bent the extractor tip outward, before I owned it. It runs flawlessly, by the way, but i’m thinking the unmodified 1895 extractor doesn’t engage the rim until the round is fully chambered, correct?

The 1894 action is known to be a problem with pistol calibre boolits as it was designed to feed longer rifle cases.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dikman View Post
    The 1894 action is known to be a problem with pistol calibre boolits as it was designed to feed longer rifle cases.
    These guys are referring to the Marlin 1894, which was originally designed to use pistol caliber cartridges. I believe you’re thinking of the Winchester 1894 having some problems with short cartridges.

Apologies, you're correct......and the Win definitely has issues with pistol cartridges (which is why I sold mine).

Boolit Master

while I wasn't having problems with mine I, too, got a RP ejector (they're 6 miles from my house)

I must admit that, while a bit pricey, it does a great job. Much smoother lever action
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master
    Steve:
    Any Update?
    Failure is not an Option

The update is here: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ate!-Chapter-2

Thread closed, with the permission of the OP, as the additional information is in the link listed.
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.