WidenersTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 350 legend bullet question

350 legend bullet question

Hodgdon has published load data for a 0.355" 180g JSP bullet from Winchester. Anyone know of a source for this J-word?

I know just shoot cast, but for the next few months i am of the casting business.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSear...temsPerPage=48 out of stock right now.......BO maybe
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I sized a box of Hornady 158 xtp FP down to .356 for loading in the legend. I shot some when i first got the rifle and they shot very well. I have good history with this bullet BUT it was at and under 2000 fps.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

swheeler,

Thanks for the link. BTW, I contacted Hodgdon and they are supposed to release load data very soon for the 170g Hornady 0.355" bullet.

I have some custom jacketed 170g 358 bullets that I measured at 0.3575". These bullets loaded at 2.245 fit perfectly in the unmodified chamber of my RARR. Good think I figured that out after I bought a 0.356" push thur sizer.

BB

Boolit Grand Master

I'd be honing that sizer out just a titch Winchester says their bullets are .357 and Hornady .355, almost bet ya all the 35 Remington/356 Win bullets of .358 may just be a go for you. If it was me I think I'd find a cast bullet that would feed 180-190 grain?
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

My RARR will just chamber a .357 bullet. But its a bothersome hard to close bolt. Run that bullet thru my 356 sizer it mics .3566/7 run it thru twice and its .3563/4. (There is always a lil spring back with j bullets.). Then it chambers smooth. I have not tried sizing to .355. 356 works and shoots very well For me.

I have a number of good cast bullets and plan to use them! A 190 RD works well. My NOE 360-232 works well and a old Saeco 396 is about as perfect as one could find in profile. I just prefer a larger meplat for hunting.

That 230 NOE can be pushed to 1650-1700 with 1680 just compressed. Should be awesome.

CW

Boolit Master

From what I have been seeing from people who reload the Legend one type of brass is thicker then the others turning that case or reaming it fixes the issue . Unless you have a real tight bore.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D4C6B81-E8B5-4D2F-BE69-3289CB82623F.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	249087

Name:	46560FD4-C485-41D3-B3C2-7C6E9B379C07.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	249088

Found this today

CW

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post

Name:	3D4C6B81-E8B5-4D2F-BE69-3289CB82623F.jpg 
Views:	519 
Size:	61.9 KB 
ID:	249087

Name:	46560FD4-C485-41D3-B3C2-7C6E9B379C07.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	249088

Found this today

CW
    I am surprised they are not getting a bit more Velocity I do not see a barrel length was it in data?

Early this year I ordered a Match Grade Machine 27" barrel for my early Contender in 357-44 B&D I settled on what is a fairly mild load of AA 1680 under the Hornady 140 FTX . The load gives me 2200 f/s and shoots one hole 100 yard groups! I have a feeling that AA 1680 would be a great choice on the 350 as well.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master

FF57,

The 140 ftx is best accuract bullet gor me in the 350 for sure!!

Easy moa. My top load is 2350 fps. I dont think it will hold together on a whitetail.

CW.

Boolit Master

CW
    I have the same worry I plan on hunting whitetail this year with the 140 FTX It seemed okay in a water test but as we know that is not deer.
    The bullet exited a gallon bleach jug filled with water and on side, the core was well mushroomed but separated from jacket .
    Some of my first loads (357-44 B&D) where some old Zero 110 grain flat points . I settled on 2450 f/s they shoot a lot better than I thought considering they are made for 38 special speeds , a test in water lead me to believe they only go about three inches before fragmenting into little pieces! A shot on a porcupine at 50 yards confirmed this While there was no exit on the other side ( The Quill Pig was climbing a stump shot in back of shoulders towards belly) The sides of the animal split open and quills littered the area ! I ended up using a propane torch to clean them up as this was in my lawn!
    I have a old (1916) Winchester model 1907 .351 WSL I sometimes hunt deer with for it I size Sierra 170 grain JHC to .351 they have taken two deer they open to fast but to punch though the other side and drop the deer fast. Both deer were shot in the shoulder the shoulder was pretty much ruined , as the bullet passed into ribs the shock about separated the should from the deer !

Boolit Master

I have been savin milk jugs. But its gettin late to be blastin on my hunting property.

I tried slowin them down last week and got them to about 1800 with very good accuracy. This should close to mimic 357mag carbine velocity that I hope they where designed for. STILL, I would t
    Shoot bones with them. Dunno. I dont like testin on deer. I like to know. Its a life ya know? I know at fast speeds into the lungs it will kill, Im just not a speed subscriber. Im a slow n heavy guy. I know it ALWAYS works while speedy can run hot and cold from thors hammer put downs to huge shallow wounds and a miserable Death for the critter. Been there done that not proud of myself for it. Decided then heavy for caliber was wbere its at.

Never under estimate the ability of a hornady ftx or xtp to disintagrate.

BB

Banned

Nothing wrong with a bullet that blows up if it goes 10" or more. I have shot deer at less than 10 yds with my muzzleloader with the xtp bullets. Could never find a piece of the bullets and the deer took a couple steps and fell over. While I like a bullet that makes a pass through it is not needed. Just shoot them in the lungs and they will die fast with a bullet that comes apart.

You just have to pick your shot. Broadside!

Boolit Master

With the Y2K bullet shortage I found myself short on 180 gr bullets for my 30-06 I looked at my shelf and saw a box of 190 grain H.P.B.T. Sierra bench rest bullets I thought they should be fine for deer ? Loading them they shot very accurately but in three deer the bullets did not act right at all two bullets hit a rib going in and split neatly in half continuing tumbling to the other side where they were recovered just under the skin! One bullet hit the spine over the shoulders at the base on the neck it exploded looked like a M-80 blew up in the deer area bigger them a soft ball ruined! One of the deer that a rib was hit on needed a follow up shot she was running straight at me the shot went in just below the spine blew the lungs up pieces of that bullet shredded the intestines ! All three deer dropped within 50 yards with the spine shot having never moved of course . However I would not use that bullet on deer again oddly they expand and work quite well on coyotes!
    Of the 4 shots on three deer none had exit wounds not even the lengthwise shot that hit no bone.

Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    With the Y2K bullet shortage I found myself short on 180 gr bullets for my 30-06 I looked at my shelf and saw a box of 190 grain H.P.B.T. Sierra bench rest bullets I thought they should be fine for deer ? Loading them they shot very accurately but in three deer the bullets did not act right at all two bullets hit a rib going in and split neatly in half continuing tumbling to the other side where they were recovered just under the skin! One bullet hit the spine over the shoulders at the base on the neck it exploded looked like a M-80 blew up in the deer area bigger them a soft ball ruined! One of the deer that a rib was hit on needed a follow up shot she was running straight at me the shot went in just below the spine blew the lungs up pieces of that bullet shredded the intestines ! All three deer dropped within 50 yards with the spine shot having never moved of course . However I would not use that bullet on deer again oddly they expand and work quite well on coyotes!
    Of the 4 shots on three deer none had exit wounds not even the lengthwise shot that hit no bone.
    Years ago, I contacted Sierra about using their HPBT match bullets for hunting because they shot so well in my 30-06.
    Their response was, don't do it. The jackets are much thinner than normal hunting bullets. They said, either the nose will fold in and it will act like a FMJ or it will shatter.
    It sounds like yours broke up in most cases.

Boolit Master

I have read that that exact scenario is how we got the 165g Game King HPBT bullet.

CW

Boolit Master

Yes that is what happens sure enough but on the other hand they did get me though the shortage And From my tests in water the 140 grain FTX should preform okay on deer I am very close to the same speed the 350 legend will be hitting even at a lower pressure of the 357-44 .
    The Accurate Arms data has the load of AA 1680 hitting 1900 from a 13" barrel I am hitting 2200 in my 27" barrel at only 29,000 CUP !

Boolit Master

Thats good to fead firefly!

CW

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I have read that that exact scenario is how we got the 165g Game King HPBT bullet.

CW
    There is a corollary there with the 69 grain Matchking and the 65 grain Gameking for 22 caliber rifles. I get nearly identical groups in my 223 rifles with those two.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast