MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: standing up or laying down

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I tumble coat so I have no choice. Don’t own a compressor or PC gun. A thirty second swirl in a Tupperware container and then pick each one up with a pliers and toss it into a clean Tupperware container and bounce a few times to get off the excess PC and then pick it up again and stand each one up. Long process but they turn out pretty even and smooth.

Those are beauties.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Not bad for tumbling Hugh? Some turn out so nice I don’t want to shoot them. Lol

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    Not bad for tumbling Hugh? Some turn out so nice I don’t want to shoot them. Lol
    What mold is that? Those are amazing boolits.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Lyman devastator .430

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    I have started powder coating Rifle boolits and water quenching for hardness at the same time. I seem to get better results standing them up in little silicone ice cube containers.

If I lay them down on a silicone mat, I get more rejects. Any comments/tips. I don't PC pistol boolits, my star is faster.
    Just the other day I was wondering about water quenching right out of the toaster oven. How is that working out? W;hat temp are you running the oven at?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longcruise View Post
    Just the other day I was wondering about water quenching right out of the toaster oven. How is that working out? W;hat temp are you running the oven at?
    running about 410 F for 30 minutes. According to my pencil test, my quenched w.w. alloy is 26 to 28 brinnel after 4 days. This is for powder coated or naked boolits. Quench is very cold tap water.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by quasi View Post
    I have started powder coating Rifle boolits and water quenching for hardness at the same time. I seem to get better results standing them up in little silicone ice cube containers.

If I lay them down on a silicone mat, I get more rejects. Any comments/tips. I don't PC pistol boolits, my star is faster.
    Water quenching is a good way to contaminate your cast bullets; a little oil in the water and the powder doesn't stick. Once coated you can quench straight out of the oven if that is what you want.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Water quenching is a good way to contaminate your cast bullets; a little oil in the water and the powder doesn't stick. Once coated you can quench straight out of the oven if that is what you want.
    that is what I am doing.

Standing up takes a lot longer of course and is challenging with narrow boolits not to know them over when putting my pan in the oven.

I stood up 20 lbs of .452’s yesterday with clear PC.

All were as smooth as glass even with the rain yesterday. I tried dumping and baking once. After I separated and saw the uneven coated boolits sticking to each other and road rash from sticking to my mesh bottom it was the last time.

Boolit Master
    Standing up takes a lot longer of course and is challenging with narrow boolits not to know them over when putting my pan in the oven.

I stood up 20 lbs of .452’s yesterday with clear PC.

All were as smooth as glass even with the rain yesterday. I tried dumping and baking once. After I separated and saw the uneven coated boolits sticking to each other and road rash from sticking to my mesh bottom it was the last time.
    Clear dose leave a beautiful surface.

I have been PC since 2012 and I have tried just about everything. I have tried wire, it left imperfections on the base. I have tried screen, total disaster. Any imperfections on the base of a bullet effects accuracy. I have tried foil. I have tried parchment. I do use parchment when I spray.

A flat surface covered with a silicon mat and the wire grid of a Bakers Cooling Rack for spacing and assisting getting them in the oven is the fastest method, also maxium quanity in a single cook and the best quality bullet.

The silicone mat I’ve used it makes a perfectly flat bottom on the bullets I don’t gas check but I don’t use the mat on the ones that I gas check because the PC flows down Leaving a ridge on the bases so the gas checks won’t snap over. Any tips? The mesh always leaves a little PC residue from whatever color I used last time but I normally chip off with my fingernail before I put a gas check on it but it still bugs me. This was a nice thin coat of clear. I would assume the mold that I have must have a little bit bigger base because the gas checks wouldn’t snap on evenly by hand. I tapped them as good as I could and ran them through my lee sizing die. They all got sized/pushed on nice and even with my lee.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 10-12-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    The silicone mat I’ve used it makes a perfectly flat bottom on the bullets I don’t gas check but I don’t use the mat on the ones that I gas check because the PC flows down Leaving a ridge on the bases so the gas checks won’t snap over. Any tips? The mesh always leaves a little PC residue from whatever color I used last time but I normally chip off with my fingernail before I put a gas check on it but it still bugs me. This was a nice thin coat of clear. I would assume the mold that I have must have a little bit bigger base because the gas checks wouldn’t snap on evenly by hand. I tapped them as good as I could and ran them through my lee sizing die. They all got sized/pushed on nice and even with my lee.
    Check out post #19 on how to PC and end up with a clean check base. I double coat rifle bullets like you see in post #19 a spray first coat then a clear second coat that bonds the check to the bullet like it is one piece. After a double coat my rifle bullets look like this one.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1913_1.JPG 
Views:	26 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	249595

Boolit Master

I tumble mine and stand them up with my rubber-gloved fingers on non-stick foil. Cut to fit the little cookie sheets my Wife bought to fit in the Toaster Oven she bought me. I got lots of time so it's OK by me. Set the cookie sheets on the cold concrete to cool. Thinking about dumping them in a bucket of cold water.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12