RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Inline FabricationWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast

Thread: 350 Legend and Cast Boolits

You fellows are talking burn rates I like! I like em cause I have powders that fit the application. Some of the old Widener's SPP210, which is 4198-like, and quite a bit of the 10B101 flake powder that burns about 2400/Blue Dot speed. I'm just getting started, reading up. I caught a Stoner barrel on sale at Midway, and a NOE 190gr mold in stock. Now I need to decide whether to replace the barrel on my 6x45 upper or build a complete upper for the Legend. Probably the later, once I gather the parts.
    "If people let the government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny."

-Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    Just finished reading this whole post. Lots of great info y'all have done and tested to get to this point. I have had the AR stone Legend upper for about a year+ or so. Mainly got it because I love to reload 9mm as I shot bullseye league with my customized Beretta FS92 and many of the .356 will work in the Legend. So, it seemed like the Legend had a ton of opportunity for reloading cast and jacketed bullets --boolits as y'all say, LOL.
    I have found the 147gn truncated hitek coated bullet does not work in the Legend, Jacketed is just fine, figured it might need a GC for the hitek coated or powder coated at that speed. I have many .3575 with a GC land just need to test them, they are 158gn in different profiles. I am also thinking the powder coated are a better idea then the hitek. I bough MANY thousands of the 147 truncated from ACME at a price I could not refuse, I have great luck with this in my FS92 for league shooting.
    I dont pour my own anymore, not enough time now days. I have bought some 175gn long truncated from Matts Bullets but have not loaded them yet, perhaps after the New Year. They are GC so I think they will work just fine. The profile is similar enough to the 180gn jacketed soft point that they should load OK, I have great luck with the 180gn SP I load, the 170gn was not as accurate but acceptable at any rate. I use LIL'Gun powder, I have cut my teeth on that powder with my Beowulf .50 so I have learned how to use it well over the last four years. I do have CFE BLK or whatever it is just incase I have issues with the LIL'Gun Legend cast boolits. I am shooting supersonic so I dont think I will have any issues, no plans on SUB.
    Anyway, I fought my way through all the brass issues, length, crimped primes, thickness, feed issues, bla bla bla. Y'all know what I mean. Wish I would have found this post before all that!!!
    Well, this is my first post so thanks for all the great info. I see no one has posted in months, perhaps this will spark some traffic.

Welcome to the asylum Kerry. I have an AR upper from Bear Creek. I bought a box of the 170 grs from Matts, and my first round batch cycled just fine. No gouging or deforming at all, and the seemed to group well also. I think you'll have good luck with them.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the welcome!! See your from MI, I was in Kalamazoo until 2005 then moved here. I get my Beowulf and 9mm lead from Robs bullets now, he makes the 465gn to the size my wulf likes so perhaps I will have to try a few of his for my Legend seeing he will custom size for me and GC if I need it. What powder did you use with Matts 170gn? I plan on LIL'Gun to start as it worked well with the 180gn SP.

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Conklin View Post
    Thanks for the welcome!! See your from MI, I was in Kalamazoo until 2005 then moved here. I get my Beowulf and 9mm lead from Robs bullets now, he makes the 465gn to the size my wulf likes so perhaps I will have to try a few of his for my Legend seeing he will custom size for me and GC if I need it. What powder did you use with Matts 170gn? I plan on LIL'Gun to start as it worked well with the 180gn SP.
    My first outing was loaded with W296 and the Hornady 165FTX, Did OK, but had some blown out primers. Not good, but I did get a nice doe with that load. Now I'm working up the ladder with the Matts 170 gc. with IMR4227. Starting loads put it at about 1950 fps. This combo is showing good results. My primary concern is reliable cycling, no leading, and good groups. Velocity is the least of my concern, as any of these loads are good for deer at my usual range of less than 100 yds. I make it down to TX. myself since my daughter is an leo for the city of Mesquite, just outside Dallas.
    Deplorable infidel

#1. I tell telling folks [from considerable experience] that H110/W296/Lil'Gun are unpredictable powders in the Legend.
    #2. Folks keeping writing back "... but they're in the book...."

See #1.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    #1. I tell telling folks [from considerable experience] that H110/W296/Lil'Gun are unpredictable powders in the Legend.
    #2. Folks keeping writing back "... but they're in the book...."

See #1.
    Hello Mehavey,
    Thanks for the info!!!!! This happens in the Beowulf as well. Done it first hand trying to work up a SUB load, glad I walked it down little by little so it was not a calamity fortunately, but, just started to see pressure issues. I am sure the Legend is WAY less forgiving and I do not want to find out.
    I know what you are saying, read that many times here and in the past as well. The issue with the book is most folks find them very hot and want to drop the powder charge down too low then have a whole new world of issues.
    I do have some CFE BLK to fall back on. I have tried for a long time to get the Norma 200 but I cannot locate any local or online.
    Knowing the LIL'Gun issue I dont want to use heavy boolits with light powder charge. Been using 145gn to 180gn jacketed with great success and no pressure issues so I will stick with that area as its been safe, no experimenting outside of those known GOOD loads with LIL'Gun. I have some 250gn jacketed SP I sized down but, they are still on the shelf waiting for me to find a safe powder for those, seems Norma would be good for those, heck those might not ever find their way into a Legend case, time will tell. The 145-180gn seem to do what I need.
    As a side note, does anyone reload Beowulf here?
    Merry Christmas to everyone.

...most folks find them very hot and want to drop the powder charge down too low....
    BINGO (!)
    Those three powders get really irritated if you don't fill the case up.

Flip the card, I do load BeoWoof also.
    Didn't have any H110/296/Lil'Gun issues -- but prettyy max'd out.

Nowadays use Viht-N110/120/RL-7(mostly) with heavy 440gr Cast.

seems Norma would be good for those....
    Norma-200 is THE powder for the Legend.
    Medium 180 all the way to really heavy bullets.
    Cannot be beat.

Boolit Mold
    I have a 465gn powder coated FP/RN that is my go to from now on for the Wulf. Although I do have a lot of 350gn plated FP that I need to sell or load up for fun rounds. I bet your 440 is just as good as my 465. H110 didnt seem to hit the mark as good as LIL'Gun did, not a big difference until I got out to 150 yards and the LIL'gun had about a 2" better group consistently but, LIL'Gun does go faster. Anyway, 100YD or less and either are just fine. Lil'Gun does seem to keep the cases a bit cleaner too.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    Norma-200 is THE powder for the Legend.
    Medium 180 all the way to really heavy bullets.
    Cannot be beat.
    Sure need to find some Norma 200. Until then I have plenty of LIL'Gun. Anything close to Norma that's suitable?

RL7 is the most common next-in-line

Boolit Master
    Kerry,

I took heed on the warnings about Lil Gun and after my own problems with H110 I decided to look for something less finicky. I ended up getting a bunch of Heavy Pistol (nearly the same as AA #9, burn rate between blue dot and 2400) and a bunch Wc 680 (milsurp version of 1680, just slower than H110). Both of these are much less finicky than Lil Gun or 296/H110.

Looking at burn rates in the range above, I went on-line shopping and found Enforcer, Heavy Pistol, 300 MP, 4227 & 5744 all available.

Although the makers do not seem to be willing to provide all the load data we want, they are providing alternate choices to the finicky powders that a few of us (including Mehavey) keep warning folks about.

Boolit Mold
    Not sure if anyone has seen this before, I was poking around the net for powder for the Legend and found this. https://content.osgnetworks.tv/shoot...0-Legend-1.jpg . Might be of some use.
    I was able to score a pound of Enforcer for a good price, could not find any of the others at the moment. I will have to look for the specs on that, I seen it on here somewhere. Don't have any heavy lead boolits for it yet anyway so I have time.
    Last edited by Kerry Conklin; 12-21-2021 at 02:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    With the 165FTX , my Ruger American really liked 300-mp. 2200fps and 1/2" groups @100yds

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockrat View Post
    With the 165FTX , my Ruger American really liked 300-mp. 2200fps and 1/2" groups @100yds

I have had a couple pounds of this powder and thus far only found a very good load for the 300bo and a 135 FTX bullet.

I have tried a few loads in the Maxi and Legend but not yet hit the bell. I do like how the powder preforms and acts. I need to invest some more time with it.

So far despite the disparaging comments 296/H110 has preformed flawlessly. Propelling a 165 FTX & 170 Fury bullet past 2200fps into nice 1" or less groups. Ooh the game also has never once complained either!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

. . . despite the disparaging comments 296/H110 has preformed flawlessly
    There was a little girl,
    . . . . . . Who had a little curl,
    Right in the middle of her forehead.
    . . . . . When she was good,
    . . . . . She was very good indeed,
    But when she was bad she was horrid.
    , , , , . . . . . , , , , , , , , , , ,
    (Longfellow)

Boolit Mold
    Anyone tried this yet? Old post below but there was no report on how it worked. I dont have ANY personal data on Ramshot Enforcer, never used it. I have some coming, worst case Its usable in my 357's.
    11-27-2019, 06:26 PM#9
    Boolit Mold
    I ordered some Winchester brass today and I hope to pick up some powder this weekend. I did receive some data from Hornady today. Hornady brass Win. primer 170gr interlock bullet. 24.1gr to 27.1gr Enforcer powder. 2050fps to 2250fps. No pressure data.

Boolit Master
    I saw some 357 Max data in the Ramshot on-line guide.

I can use Quickload to try to extrapolate the Enforcer / 357 Max data to 350L pressures. Exact bullet and desired AOL will make the effort more accurate. It also would help to know the barrel length.

I ran QL
    RE: 85% load at 53ksi: 2450-ish

Compare
    Norma200: 103% / 45ksi /2500-ish

Page 33 of 40 FirstFirst ... 232425262728293031323334353637383940 LastLast