Load DataTitan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: 108 yds with iron sights

Boolit Master

108 yds with iron sights

Yesterday I set up my 8" steel swinger on our Silhouette range so I could get under the roof & out of the sun for testing at longer distance. It ended up being 108 yds ranged & I put a white USPSA target behind the swinger so I could see where the misses would go.
    I again had my 3 old models, the 41 shorty, the 6 1/2" 44 flat top & the 45 shorty convertible. Just as I got set up someone pulled up behind me & just rolled his window down to watch. He had been over on the rifle range minutes earlier, dressed in full camo & shooting some kind of the latest & greatest all black Rambo racer!
    First up was the 41 shorty with the 2 dogs front sight I'm liking so well. I figured I had the best chance of staying on steel with this gun because of the sight picture plus it shoots really good even for 74 year old eyes. I started out holding just under a 12 o'clock hold since I had been pretty much zeroed at 65.
    I ran the 5 rounds & it looked like 2 rounds missed. "Camo" Rambo walked over and said, you hit low left. We always have a wind out of the SW & I didn't want to hold for wind on the first run, I wanted to see how much it effected me off of my 65 yd zero. I couldn't tell with the binoc's because there were some small holes in the target backer so I drove down so I could run the air conditioner for a minute!
    You will see in the photo I hit it 4 out of 5 with 3 shots being about 3-4 inches down from the top & the 4th shot just hitting the bottom of the steel. That bullet also hit the dirt, that's why I thought I had 2 misses. You can see one shot low left into the white backer.
    When I went back "Camo" Rambo told me he had a Redhawk 41 magnum that was Nickel.... I said, are you sure it's not stainless & he said no it's nickel & has a 9 powder Leupold scope on it, a straight 9 power! He also said it had 27" of eye relief, yikes!! I could see this was going to get out of hand so I said I had to leave, I gathered up my other guns & left! Maybe today I can shoot the others, alone!

Dick

Boolit Master
    Nice! with the exception of having part of your day ruined by someone else.

Looking forward to reading & seeing more of your next outing(s), if you will share them. Hopefully, "un interrupted" outings.
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Bub
    Nice shooting, and into the glare to boot.

Would they have hit a little lower if the sights had been in shade?

Boolit Master

Nice shooting what are two dogs front sight and what loads were you using
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

That is wonderful shooting. I can't do that with open sights on a rifle, let alone a handgun.

Boolit Master
    Probably, I'll find out in a hour or so when it stops raining.

Fermin's website is fermincgarza.com These are the best iron sights I've ever used & I made sights for 15 years.

In the OM 41 shorty I'm using 8 grs of Unique with a 213 gr powder coated HP. In my 41 Bisley I use 17 grs of 2400 with a 230 gr Keith & it usually shoots a little bit better.

Dick

Boolit Master

Best that i could do was 3 out of 6 on a 10" gong at 100 yards with my SBH 44 I never tried with my 41 BH
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by sixshot View Post
    Probably, I'll find out in a hour or so when it stops raining.

Fermin's website is fermincgarza.com These are the best iron sights I've ever used & I made sights for 15 years.

In the OM 41 shorty I'm using 8 grs of Unique with a 213 gr powder coated HP. In my 41 Bisley I use 17 grs of 2400 with a 230 gr Keith & it usually shoots a little bit better.

Dick
    Garza has some really great stuff.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Good shooting!

Hopefully today you get back out to the range and get to enjoy your other handguns as well.

Murphy
    If I should depart this life while defending those who cannot defend themselves, then I have died the most honorable of deaths. Marc R. Murphy '2006'.

Boolit Master

Nice when a plan comes together,good shooting and good luck for the follow up trip.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Master
    Good shooting! I like your setup, free on the stool and but in the chair ,I assume. I think I remember you shoot with the hands between your knees?? That is my preferred position as well, I just wasn’t smart enough to get my tail off the ground. I learn SO much here! Sitting on the ground isn’t as easy now as 35 years ago, up and down either! Thanks foe posting the pictures, and hopefully you will get some quiet time next trip.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master
    Yes, hands between the knees, not over. Of course when I'm hunting I do sit on the ground with my back against a tree or boulder, etc. I know in flat country you can't always do that but where I hunt it's almost always an angle shot, either uphill or downhill to some degree so the sitting position with your knees drawn up works most of the time.
    Other times I use my pack back with that same piece of leather thrown over it so I don't burn a hole in it or I use my walking stick that has a lanyard that I slip my left wrist through & lay the stick across my left thigh at an angle. Made my longest shot on a cow elk using this last method with my buddy shooting her with the range finder.
    You have to be ready to take what ever shot you get & then do most of your practicing offhand because that's the hardest shot to master. Last year I shot 4 deer, an antelope & a late season cow elk & used all of the above methods with 6 different revolvers, plus one Montana deer off of the Bog Pod.

Dick

Alright, now I am really jealous.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice shooting. My regular shooting partners were surprised when I went 3/5 at a 10” gong at 200 yards with my 41 SRH hunter. Granted, I had a , IIRC, 4x Burris fixed power handgun scope. First 2 shots I walked to the target. Booom........................clang! Love it!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    That is wonderful shooting. I can't do that with open sights on a rifle, let alone a handgun.
    For realz! That's scoped rifle territory for me!!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Very good shooting! I really admire handgun shooting past 50 yards.

I learned how in Colorado trying to hit small patch's of snow out at 250 yards. In spring the ground is dry enough to see ( back then anyhow ) my miss shots with the 357 mag Security Six.

In Alaska I could hit 8 inch dinner plates at 75 yards off hand with regularity. But I shot EVERY week up there with my 4 inch Smith 629. The Grizz up in the interior are mean always , as they have to hunt for food always ... not as much to snack on as out on the coast up there.

Anyhew just wanted to say good shooting ... I know what it takes to shoot like that. Keep up the good work my friend and I look forward to reading and seeing more!

Boolit Master
    Thanks guys, it did pay off with the 88 yd shot on the depredation muley doe on Monday. I've still got another tag to fill so sometime in the next few days I'll be headed back out with a different gun, haven't decided which one yet. I always have my 10.5" Ruger 357 Maximum with me just in case. Right now I'm making Jerky!

Dick
    Last edited by sixshot; 09-13-2019 at 10:16 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    Yes, great shooting.

Sad about the ninja warrior spoiling things...have had that happen but never again. I have a 135 yard range on my property. NeXT year I am expanding it to 200 yards. Needed project for the new tractor...LOL
    Don Verna

I’m starting to think maybe this guy can shoot! And remember to be nice to tactical ninjas on the range, they don’t get to experience it that often.

We shoot 12" dia steel at 100yds with S&W revolvers, iron sights, standing up two hand Weaver. It's like shooting trap you don't miss to much until you loose concentration. I don't do optics on handguns but my Bro does. He has a K38 from custom shop / 4x scope and set with his back supported and bust clay pigeons at 100yds, 9 out of 10 shots. We use no hot loads from 32 to 45 Colt, including magnum calibers.