Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionInline FabricationWideners
Snyders JerkyRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data

Thread: Anyone loading stout 44 mag full wadcutters?

Anyone loading stout 44 mag full wadcutters?

There is a thread in another forum about loading full charge , solid base wadcutters in 38 specials, as a result of Ed Harris report of being and effective defense load. It's a good read.

Why not the same for 44 mag and stout loads ( not necessarily max)? Referring to solid-base, full wadcutters seated flush, near flush ( maybe one band exposed. Not referring to "pin shooting" wadcutter molds. They have a a high percentage of bullet length out of the case. Not himmelwrights ( pointy wadcutters). I am referring to button nose or double-ended solid base wadcutters.

Flush-seated, solid base wadcutters will take more case volume. Using a powder with a burn rate from medium fast to medium, should provide a volume of powder that will have a high loading density to have low powder position issues ( for improved accuracy), lower powder charge weight ( $ savings), with a usable muzzle velocity of maybe 1050-1100 fPS ( "stout subsonic"") to avoid transonic / sound barrier destabilizing factors ( again, accuracy benefit).

Maybe it "44 Specializes" the 44 mag, but what is wrong with that? Should be a good deer round too, with a big "smacking" energy transfer from the maximum meplat size, and likely very good penetration.

Not many options for the bullet. Matt's Bullets has a 215 grain, .430" hardcast bullet that looks very interesting.

NOE has two "44 caliber" wadcutter molds, but are .432", which might be too big for SAAMI spec 44 mag bore diameter of .429". Wish it was .430".

I 'm sure some people will state, "why bother, a SWC do everything, so why bother with full wadcutters in the 44 mag."; but, with that approach, we may be missing out on something useful and accurate.

Anyone shooting stout 44 mag wadcutters? Hunting with them? Would be interested in your findings.
    Last edited by catboat; 09-05-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Super Moderator

I have been using this one from Accurate. I'm at work now, so I can't access my load notes... I don't want to post data from memory! I do know that I have worked it with Bullseye, Red Dot and Unique, as well as Clays and Trail Boss. I size it to .431 and load it for a Ruger Blackhawk and in my 44 Mag Contender. It's been a very accurate boolit, but I've only used it for paper punching, not for hunting. I had Tom cut it for .432, using an alloy of 1/3/96.

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=43-190W-D.png

Yes, I load those over a mild load of Unique. The CBWC weighs ~265gr. and is cast from an old B & M single cavity mould (with integral handles) that drops virtually perfect bullets from the get go. Sized to fit my Ruger SBH, those WC's are really accurate @ 25 yd. from a rest.

I convert 45 semi-wadcutters to boat-tail wad cutters by seating them backwards in 45 auto-rim cases. The same thing should work for your 44 by seating 185-200 gr bullets backwards.
    DRB #2276 President's Hundred 2021

Boolit Master
    In 45 ACP I load dewc to 850. No reason the same can not be done with the smaller bore.

Have you tried sizing the NOE boolits?

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Master
    Yep.
    200 grain wadcutter Accurate 43-200Z, 10 grains Unique, 1140fps, cast soft, expands well in water jugs, stops in 4th gallon, shreds the first 3. Its as stout as I can shoot well in this gun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7E511970-8798-47FC-85B7-DBB164C1A21B.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	67.2 KB 
ID:	247921
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Grand Master
    I have seven 44's, Catboat, you do NOT wish that the NOE molds cast 430, they work great when sized .431. I just cast up about 400 for use in my new Ruger GP100 44 Special, tumble lubed with old style BLL, they have been superbly accurate in limited testing. 4.3 grains of Reddot or 5.0 grains of Unique for practice, a half grain higher were I to carry them for "serious social purposes." They have also worked well in my Ruger flattop.

I do not recommend them for hunting, though, unless you never shoot at distances greater than 50 yards. IME, wadcutters do not hold onto their accuracy when used at extended ranges. Groups at distances greater than about 70 yards are disproportionately large and at 200 yards, you couldn't keep them on a barn wall.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 09-15-2019 at 01:30 PM.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

In Alaska I shot the 300 grain "BACKPACKER" rounds for bear protection. Never cronnyed them but in my 4 inch S&W 629, they were a huge handfull. Always fed my reloads of Lee SWC's at a lower rate loaded with unique tho for my weekly practice. Those full wadcutters 300 grain "Backpackers" would make my hand ack for the rest of the day ... but when second or third on the food chain ... a bit of hurt hand web is small trade for not getting torn up.

I have no idea what the velocity was on them but they screamed along right proper.

I would contact Tom at "Accurate Molds" as he turns out some very quality molds at a reasonable price, and if you do not see a boolit already in his inventory, he will custom make your boolit at the same price. I have had him make me three "special" molds and his work is to brag about.

USMC 77, USRA 79

boy ted, you aint kidding about them 300g boolits in the smith... that is why I stopped carrying it many years ago for bear protection. I love the Taurus for that very reason.. the factory porting makes enough difference for me to be able to shoot the 310's regular with no ill effect. closest thing to a wad cutter I shoot.. perhaps I should take a peek at those wadcutters from Tom... no brown bears around my Island anyway.. just lots of blacks.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Buddy
    The 1970 Lyman manual shows the 429438 over 24gr of 2400 for right at 1500fps. I have made some just to play with and it does work.

I have the MP .44 HBWC mold with solid pins and hollow base pins. I have yet to cast solids. I usually shoot the hollow base pins under a mild load of HS-6 and they are nice shooters. I have to try some of the solids under a heavier charge, should pack plenty of punch at 250gr.

Groo here
    Underwood fwc 44 mag.

Boolit Mold
    Rim Rock sells a 200 gr flat base .44 cal that they call "anti personnel" bullet. They come sized to .430 and are BHN 15. I have used their .41 cal 180 gr version and have been very satisfied.
    https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/-44...personel-.html

I shoot 185gr WCs in S&W m24 & m29s but target loads. I have been looking for a heavier WC for some time. I do shoot 242gr WCs in m25s 45Colt. I have 3 of them and two are sighted for 242gr WCs and a 83/8" sighted for 250gr RNFP cast. I picked up wrong ammo on way out the door, got to woods and found I had the WCs. To far to go home so I loaded them up. Shot a small fork about 30yds, classic broadside and WC shot through it went about 20' and piled up dead. It was pumping blood out in steady stream. I don't shoot heavy magnum loads in any of my S&Ws. I normally deer hunt with old 3screw Ruger SBH loaded heavy. I would like to try some heavy WCs loads in it.

Not to many 44 WC molds avaible. I don't like Lee molds and others avaible I don't like the style. I would like to find a 200gr + 44wc mold similar to Lyman button nose type.

Boolit Master
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Boolit Buddy
    I have a discontinued Lee 210 gr 44 cal full wadcutter mold. Loaded in 44 special cases over 4.0 grs Bullseye it shot tiny groups in a Ruger Super Redhawk. Never tried heavy loads but now I will just to see how it does. Work, work, work. It just never seems to end.

Boolit Master

I have used the Saeco 200 gr WC up to 1,400 fps with excellent accuracy @ 25 yards groups of 1 inch were obtained but 50 yard groups were in the 3" to 4 " range, bench rested with a scope.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    In Alaska I shot the 300 grain "BACKPACKER" rounds for bear protection. Never cronnyed them but in my 4 inch S&W 629, they were a huge handfull. Always fed my reloads of Lee SWC's at a lower rate loaded with unique tho for my weekly practice. Those full wadcutters 300 grain "Backpackers" would make my hand ack for the rest of the day ... but when second or third on the food chain ... a bit of hurt hand web is small trade for not getting torn up.

I have no idea what the velocity was on them but they screamed along right proper.

I would contact Tom at "Accurate Molds" as he turns out some very quality molds at a reasonable price, and if you do not see a boolit already in his inventory, he will custom make your boolit at the same price. I have had him make me three "special" molds and his work is to brag about.
    bigted, did you ever have to use that boolit on a bear? I carried a 4" 629 when I was bumming around in Ak and I used a 275gr LBT WFN GC loaded pretty warm. My thinking is that with the slooping skull on a bear, the sharp edge of a wad cutter or a flat nose boolit will not skid on thy head--IF you are lucky enough to get a head shot. My gun really like 310gr Lee GC and they are a handfull for sure. Glad this gun comes with Hogue rubber finger groove grips!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master

I too have that Lee 429-208-WC. I've had a 2cav for 30+yrs. And just recently was able to buy a 6cav from another Member that purchased it in an old group buy.

It drops a 208gr bullet at .431 cast from #2 alloy. That may be a bit hard for most of you, but it works for me.
    I run it into a Lyman .431dia Lube-Sizer die in my old #450 to Lube it and "true it round".

Over 8.5grs of Unique in a Mag case for My Redhawk 5.5" and 7.5grs in a Spl case for my M624 6" , it will give accuracy of 1.5" to 2.25" at 25yrds. Or it did when I was younger with better eye sight and steadier hands. It also served well as my backup Cowboy bullet when I ran low on #429478's.

I never thought about using it for a defensive load. Probably because my house gun is a Ruger .357Mag Service-Six.

But since I also have a M624 3", it will be something to consider.
    But I'll have to see if the Wife can handle it.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life