Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad DataRepackbox
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Bexar Community Shooting Range

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

Bexar Community Shooting Range

For the shooters and reloaders around San Antonio, Texas,(or if you are passing through on I-10) this is the place to get your supplies!!!

Bexar Community Shooting Range
    15391 Bexar Bowling
    Marion, Texas 78124
    830-914-2182

Please give them a call if they are local to you!!! I generally stop by on my forays into Texas and shoot some clays or some handgun stuff!! Rifle range also out to 200 yards.
    Great folks, and, boy, do they have a selection of powder and shotgun stuff! Rifle, pistol, and shotgun powder, lead shot, primers of all persuasions, MEC shotshell reloader parts,
    wads,etc. I recommend them to anyone. Just putting this out there. Be safe and have fun!!!

I also want to add, their prices are very competitive!!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

For people not from there,,,,,,,,, its a German word, pronounced as 'bear' or 'bare'.

If ya say 'Bex-are', the people there will think you're a Yankee.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy
    I've shot at Bexar for years. Haven't much lately as shotgun fun shoots seemed to have died off. Vern and Jennifer are good people.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    For people not from there,,,,,,,,, its a German word, pronounced as 'bear' or 'bare'.

If ya say 'Bex-are', the people there will think you're a Yankee.
    Nope, wife from Germany says it's not a German word. I'll bet it comes from Mexico though, especially with the x sounding like an h when the x is used in the middle of a word.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeynick39 View Post
    Nope, wife from Germany says it's not a German word. I'll bet it comes from Mexico though, especially with the x sounding like an h when the x is used in the middle of a word.
    Hmmm, they always told me it was German.
    Being so close to the German settlements of the Hill Country, I never questioned it..
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Yep. Mexia is a town in North Central Texas and is pronounced “ma-hay-uh”.

Boolit Master

I thought it was bay har, I think because of a John Wayne movie.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Banned

Do they sell blackpowder?

So............. Didn't mean to be a snot about "Bexar" thing. Had to do some research myself and found that it actually came from Spain and the town of Bejar over there. See link on Bexar/San Antonio history below. Pretty interesting stuff. By the way, I should go up and check the range out myself. I used to belong to Lonestar Handgun Range, but they turned out to be a bunch of chumps!

https://tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/uqs02

Boolit Master

I second the recommendation to stop by, with money, for an expedition resupply of components. During the 'late unpleasantness' (the big O regime), I made several treks there to load up on powder and primers. Fine folks, great prices. And, they HAD stuff! I got 8 pounders of Bullseye in 2015.

Boolit Master

Its more of a TexMex thing...short for 2-syllabic Beh-Har, thus, pronounced as Bear county...
    Lived there for 3 years...left just after the Spurs tandem of Admiral-Duncan just won the championship...good 'ol days
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master

San Antonio is in Bexar County, one of the 254 counties in the state of Texas, You can trace the name to Villa de San Fernando de Béxar, the first civil government established by the Spanish in what was then the province of Texas. Our city was created in 1731 when 55 Canary Islanders settled near the system of missions that had been established around the source of the San Antonio River. (Not to confuse you, but the city will be celebrating its 300th anniversary in 2018. This date marks the first European visit to the area. They named the area and the river San Antonio, after St. Anthony of Padua, but they didn’t hang around long enough to set down roots.)

When Mexico won its independence from Spain they inherited Texas and gave the name Bexar to the area that encompassed the entire western part of Texas.

So how do you pronounce it? Most newbies assume it is BEX-are, with a hard X as in X-ray. Spanish speakers tend to give it the Spanish pronunciation: bay-HAR. They are both wrong. Here in San Antonio we live in BEAR County. Now you know.

This post has been updated for the 2019 Texas Trail Roundup.

So Wayne's pronunciation in "The Alamo" was correct for the Spanish inhabitants, as portrayed by Linda Crystal.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.