Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Mossberg rifled barrel

Boolit Master

Mossberg rifled barrel

Just a heads up for you Mooseburg shooters, a fellow has one new on S&S, 2nd page. I know some of you jave been looking.....to Canada and I'd call it a .729x20 pump standpipe, wouldn't you Kent?
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Boolit Grand Master

No danger to me Hal... but the guy that sells it could wind up in trouble down there! I don't think Homeland Security has much of a sense of humour! I wouldn't want to put someone in a potentially painful position.

I have a rifled choke tube and adaptor to silver solder onto my barrel and try that out. If it works on my single shot then the Slugster would be the next place I'd put one and if it doesn't work, lesson learned and a fully rifled barrel it is... I think. Still trying to decide whether to work with the smoothbore much more for longer ranges or just accept it good to 60 yards or so. I suspect I will wind up with a rifled barrel at some point.

Also, I made a nice brass shim to tighten up the Mossberg barrel to receiver fit and it certainly does that! I have as yet to shoot it though. Got to make some time for the range!

Thanks for thinking of me but like I said, not worth someone getting in trouble.

A friend on another forum "mislabled" barrels as pipe and tried to ship them to Canada. The "pipes" were confiscated and his bank account was impacted. He was lucky he didn't have to make license plates afterwards.

BB

Funny I ship my Hand Presses and #4 Enfield Sight Tools to Canada all the time. But whatever.

Kent if you want any kind of accuracy beyond 60 yards you need to find yourself a Rifled Barrel, or send your barrel to Vang Comp for their treatment. The new barrel will cost you less.

My Tac Gun with the Vang Comped Barrel has excellent accuracy out to 100 yards with round balls. Not quite as good with slugs but better than it was.

This barrel has a lengthened Forcing Cone it is Back Bored and then choked back down to .730 at the muzzle. this is the same basic concept as Ithaca found to promote accuracy in their Deerslayer Barrels. MY A5 Smoothbore Buck Special Barrel is full diameter and choked .015 at the muzzle following Ithaca's lead. It is very accurate with Federal Low Recoil Slugs and Lee Slugs and even Lyman Slugs out to 60-70 yards,<3" but not really reliable past that.

The barrel has little to do with this problem past 50 yards, the Slugs are the issue and load consistency is the key to better groups, IMHO.

But my Rifled A5 barrel is the best so far with STI slugs see pic.

Randy

I don't see the choke tube imparting enough spin to stabilize anything very much
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Grand Master

BB:

That's my worry for people in the States sending me stuff. They wind up in trouble not me. Like I said, Homeland Security doesn't have much of a sense of humour!

I can import reloading supplies into Canada and I can bring them across the border in person but I cannot be in possession of them in the States nor can an American ship them across the border to anywhere without an FFL.

It just isn't worth upsetting a federal policing agency.

Randy:

Loading presses and many gun parts or accessories are okay to ship. It is reloading supplies including bullets/boolits, brass and other non explosive/non flammable stuff and major gun parts like barrels that draw attention.

I can order from Brownells as long as the order is under $100.00 there is no issue. If over it depends on what it is.

As for the rifled choke tube, I have my doubts about the "fast twist" (1:36") and shallow rifling working well but Fosbery and H&H proved 100 years ago that 3" of rifling in a Paradox gun can and did produce 5" groups at 100 yards using both barrels. Ross Seyfried reproduced that accuracy with his Paradox gun as well. I would be happy with that accuracy at 100 yards!

My intent was and is to make my rifled choke tube with deep slow twist rifling to suit short fat slugs and round balls. I have posted about my failure a few months ago due to an aggressive hook cutter hanging up and pulling the choke tube a bit so it was out of time. Might still be salvageable but more likely I'll start again when I get time. Retirement i imminent now so time is coming up. I'm done full time regular work by the end of November. There's too many beers to drink, fish to catch, slugs to cast and shoot and archery shoots to go to for me to keep working.

There is a Mossberg fully rifled barrel for $210 CDN at Ellwood Epps and I am sure they are available elsewhere. That one is a cantilever barrel though and I'd like iron sights. I'll keep my eyes open for a used one.

Longbow

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I can import reloading supplies into Canada and I can bring them across the border in person but I cannot be in possession of them in the States nor can an American ship them across the border to anywhere without an FFL.
    Longbow
    LB
    Could you do a face to face hand off / transfer at the border without any issues?

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Boolit Grand Master

Unfortunately whoever is standing on the US side is subject to the US rules about exporting. So, no that wouldn't work either.

Boolit Master
    I couldn't stand seeing it their any longer, mentioned it to my buddy and now it will have a new home.

Thank goodness. I was about to buy it and buy a Mossberg 500. It's a wonder I have any toy funds left at all. LOL Gp

If anybody wants one. I have a camouflaged, cantilever, 20 ga. rifled barrel for Mossberg 500 that I could part with.