Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 14” Contender 223 or 21” Contender 22 Hornet?

Boolit Bub

14” Contender 223 or 21” Contender 22 Hornet?

Greetings to all
    I have on/hand a 223cal 14” Contender barrel with a factory brake installed that has not been fired since 1991/2(?) because it wakes the dead and deafens the alive when fired. Almost equal to a 243 that I owned in 1988.
    Can the 223 be downloaded such that it does not exhibit the bad traits of the 223 GI round. Where do I find info on doing what I want to do even if it is possible?
    I have been toying with the idea of buying/ trading for a 22hornet but will that be any less obnoxious than the 223?
    BTW, my smallest rifle cal is my 308 M1a but, for a bunch of reasons, I put up with the sound.
    Getting really old is hard work but the MAN upstairs is not finished with me yet. In the meantime I get to play with guns and my Grand Children.
    Follow Me

Moderator Emeritus

I see a brake on a gun and don't want to be near it on the range. I am not sure what could be done with loads to quiet it and even take it to hornet levels.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

I had that same barrel I sold it the next day after I shot it but this may help you http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...nsitive-in-223
    Last edited by LUCKYDAWG13; 09-05-2019 at 07:36 PM. Reason: NO eBay links, ever
    kids that hunt and fish dont mug old ladies

Boolit Buddy
    You can download the 223 and get some of the noise out. Any brake makes a ton of noise however even at slow speed.

Boolit Master
    Suppressor.

I have 14” barrels in both .223 and .22 Hornet, both are loud.

It is possible to create a subsonic load for either, but I haven’t done it.

Boolit Master
    Google up on blue dot in the 223. You can load it down to hornet level and it will be almost as “not quite loud” as a real hornet. I would lose the break, just a loud maker, especially on a 22 centerfire.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy
    I use the adaptors in my 16 in contender and combination guns for small game hunting. I love having the 22lr or 223 for woods walking, anything in season is game!

Boolit Master
    I shoot a lot of Blue Dot loads in the 223 witch includes a 15" Encore barrel. Even with Blue Dot I have a hunch you will get more noise than you want. Actually brakes on handguns don't bother me, even seated in the middle of the benches at the MOA in Sundance. Those pistols are chambered in a lot more than the 223 and have brakes on them. Fun match and I hope to make it again next year.

http://www.moaguns.com/coldturkey.html

Moderator Emeritus

Consider paying the $200 for a stamp and replacing the brake with a silencer.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

7.5 grains of Red Dot with a thin-jacketed 45 grain HP gets you about the performance of .22 Magnum rimfire - 2000 th 2100 fps. I use this load from a 16.5" barrel on garden raiding raccoons and woodchucks within 80 yards or so. Muzzle pressure is less than 5000 psi from your 14" barrel. Less than half of your typical full-power load, and MUCH quieter.

Same weight of Win 231 or Titegroup gives equal results. Trick to keeping noise down is small charges of fast powder.
    Cognitive Dissident