Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: T/C or Traditions

Boolit Master

Me too, no cracks on mine or any I have looked at. Just my two cents..

Boolit Master
    The cracks in the stocks are repaired by adding an Aluminum sleeve for the lock screw to pass thru that is the full width from the lock to the back of the washer.
    Then the screw can not be over tightened and cause the crack to reopen.
    The crack is then glued, clamped and pinned
    I have repaired several, and only one reopened, because the Bedding Epoxy I used did not bond to the wood.
    This is a Renegade stock and there is a Brass pin in the hole for the sleeve for gluing so it doesn't have to be redrilled to insert the Aluminum Sleeve.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Renagade Repair 003.jpg   Renagade Repair 007.jpg  
    Last edited by LAGS; 09-05-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Boolit Master
    You can glass bed the tang and the rear of the barrel or the whole barrel. Thompson Center was replacing cracked stocks before the stock manufacturing area burned. Shoot PRB and this should not happen. Heavy powder and heavy projectiles can cause problems. Try hard enough and you can break anything.
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

When the barrel seats into the channel the tolerances can add up wrong. What can happen is that the breach end of the barrel cams into place against the wood and putting pressure against it. When that happens you have a situation where the wood is under tensile stress across the grain in the location where the greatest amount of wood has been removed. Then every shot you fire delivers a karate chop. Sometimes the wood wants to let go.

If you have a set of the old printed instructions from Green Mountain for their drop-in barrels you can read about fitting the hooked breach. Same thing with TC's.

Proper fitting avoids the situation if it's caused by the barrel camming hard against the bottom of the barrel channel.

Boolit Master
    I think the number of Used Rifles I have come across with Cracked Stocks is because the owners were selling them because of the cracked stocks.
    ( Which may in fact may be because of them overtightening the lock screw or Overloading the gun .
    )
    But , If I can get them at a better price, and can fix them, it is a plus for me.
    And plenty of parts to build on another stock like I do.

Banned

I'd opt for the T/C.......definitely much better quality!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Good Cheer View Post
    When the barrel seats into the channel the tolerances can add up wrong. What can happen is that the breach end of the barrel cams into place against the wood and putting pressure against it. When that happens you have a situation where the wood is under tensile stress across the grain in the location where the greatest amount of wood has been removed. Then every shot you fire delivers a karate chop. Sometimes the wood wants to let go.

If you have a set of the old printed instructions from Green Mountain for their drop-in barrels you can read about fitting the hooked breach. Same thing with TC's.

Proper fitting avoids the situation if it's caused by the barrel camming hard against the bottom of the barrel channel.
    Very good info for all. Thank you!
    SMOKELESS IS JUST A PASSING FAD!-STEVE GARBE

FORMER NJ HUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR
    GOA LIFE MEMBER
    SASS LIFE MEMBER

ADAPT, IMPROVISE, OVERCOME!
    "ANY MAN WHO THINKS HE CAN BE HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS BY LETTING THE GOVERNMENT TAKE CARE OF HIM, BETTER TAKE A CLOSER LOOK AT THE AMERICAN INDIAN!"-HENRY FORD

IME:

* Cracked T/C stocks are due to overloads........

* There's no need to be concerned about repair parts for a T/C, as they are hell for stout, and everybody (online parts vendors) carries the parts.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Never needed any repair parts for any of my TC's going back to the late 70's, except for this recent flurry of used rifles with cracked stocks.
    But I have repaired them and am shooting them until I build them New more Fancy Stocks.
    Maybe even the Renegade .61 cal in a Full length stock.
    I do have a Traditions Hawken Kit that I will be putting together soon.
    From a visual inspection, the TC's seem to be built a little stronger.
    But Either will suite the needs of an occasional Shooter or Hunter.

Boolit Master
    If that t/c hawken has a good bore then 295 is a good deal. I'd rather have an old t/c than a new traditions any day and don't worry about spare parts there is plenty of sources for them. Heck in april I sold a late 70's t/c hawken in .50 cal in just good shape with a nice bore and the lgs gave me 250 for it and the guy who runs the reloading department snapped it up for 350 and he thought he got a deal.

Banned

IMHO, t/c's are simply worlds better than any spanish built traditions gun.

Hi Folks,
    I ended up going with the Traditions. It's light and accurate and will serve my purpose well. Thanks for all the help.
    Thanks,
    Willy

Boolit Master
    Please keep us posted on how you like the traditions.
    Like I said , I will be putting one of their kits together in the near future.
    Any info on things that you dislike about it might help me in my build.
    Minor deficiencies can be corrected in the initial build.
    Or if their are major dislikes , I have the option to sell the new kit and build something else.
    Like the GPR kit I bought also.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Please keep us posted on how you like the traditions.
    Like I said , I will be putting one of their kits together in the near future.
    Any info on things that you dislike about it might help me in my build.
    Minor deficiencies can be corrected in the initial build.
    Or if their are major dislikes , I have the option to sell the new kit and build something else.
    Like the GPR kit I bought also.
    I've put about 25 or 30 rounds through it, 490 ball, 015 patch and 60 gr of 2f Schuetzen, in the back yard shooting at a 6" target at 50 yds both from a bench and offhand and it is accurate enough for me as I continuously hit the paper. Most accurate when wiping after every shot. Adjustable sights work well. Fit and finish are fine for what it is.

The only issue I have is reassembling the lock to the wood. This is my first side loader and it seems to be sensitive tightening the screws, too tight and the hammer and trigger don't work right and when adjusted so that it works the screws are not tight by my definition. The trigger when set is very sensitive and I cant adjust that out but for my use I got used to it and fine with it. I never had a double set trigger so I don't have anything to compare it to.

First real use will be a primitive biathlon in early October.

Boolit Master
    Thank you for your opinion on the Traditions.
    It sounds like the Typical Minor issues found in almost all rifles on the market today.
    With a little Tuning and fitting , those problems can be Fixed.
    I have found the same issues with the TC rifles both in factory rifles as well as poorly assembled Kits that I have bought used in the past.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12