Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbine caliber choice for Iowa whitetail, 45 acp or 40 sw

Boolit Buddy

Carbine caliber choice for Iowa whitetail, 45 acp or 40 sw

OK, let me explain a bit more. In Iowa we can use straight wall pistol caliber, as of a couple of years ago for what used to be shotgun only. Last year I purchased a CVA hunter in 45/70 and was able to harvest a small doe. I mostly just sit (about all I can do any more) but like to "still hunt" on the very slow trip back to my sitting spots. I find the single shot not a good choice for this task as the shots, if they come are very short but must be taken expediently. I do carry a .45 colt revolver but just not a good enough, to trust my-self with it. So I thought, a Hi point carbine in 45 ACP or 40 SW may work for the trip back, while backpacking the 45-70 in for the sit. I have all the brass, dies and molds for these two calibers or I would consider the 10mm (don't want to by a bunch of brass I will likely just lose). Now that I have explained my thought process you can make your suggestions or just "flame away" which ever you choose.
    Thanks Tony

Boolit Grand Master

Since you have everything for both calibers, that's a tough call. Both are so close in performance as to be inconsequential. I personally go with the 45 acp, but that's mostly to do with thinking the 40 s&w is pointless when you can have a 10mm auto. I don't own a 10mm auto either. 45 acp will allow feeding of slightly wider noses if you were going to use solid cast bullets. I've been looking at a Hipoint 45 acp carbine myself.

Banned

Carbine caliber choice for Iowa whitetail, 45 acp or 40 sw

If you’re gonna buy a PC carbine, I would go with 10mm anyway over either the 40S&W or 45ACP. Just buy factory ammo for your hunting trips. It isn’t that big a hassle to start gathering reloading components for hand-loading the 10’s.
    This model’s MSRP is $439:
    Last edited by dangitgriff; 09-03-2019 at 10:28 PM.

Boolit Master

The Hi Point is a pretty stout strait blowback system. I would think some 255 gr SWC hollow points would stop most any whitetail that it hits. I'd go .45 acp.

Boolit Master
    From what you describe, I would worry more about the pointability and making an accurate quick shot than caliber. Either of those or the 10mm will work if placed well. Getting a quick shot placed well requires a gun that fits well and points like an upland shotgun. The sights have to come up lined up where you are looking. The only time I picked up a hi point rifle it did not meet any of those traits. I would much prefer to carry one gun, in my hands and ready to go. If that CVA isn’t over scoped it will point where you look and allow you to put a quick shot on target, and the first is the important one. Just my opinion, YMMV
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Master

rking22 I am just the opposite with the Hi Point. With the factory ghost ring sights I find it fits quite well and very quick on target acquisition. While I'm not going for group size with it I find it honestly hard to miss with in a steel match. Fit is different for everyone but I like it.

Boolit Master
    That is so true, I find anything with a vertical grip to be very awkward. The closer it feels to a 20 gage M12 the better. Everyone’s background and personal experience comes into play.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

I vote 45 acp what's not to like about making a bigger hole in that deer .
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Master
    If I understand ya correctly & I was in the situation you explained, I would simply return to carrying a shotgun like ya did before, if you want to hunt in & out instead of using a single shot. Of course if you want to buy another firearm, that is great, but if you just are trying to fill a need for something with a bit more round capacity, then it seems to me that if ya already have the shotgun, why not just use that instead of a carbine?

Anyway, Interesting question & I am enjoying reading the replies so far.

G'Luck! & happy hunting regardless of what ya decide to do!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Master

Haven't got a deer with it yet, but have shot a few medium hogs with my 45 hipoint with a red dot sight and would not hesitate to use it for a woods or walking hunt. Have shot hogs with 200 and 255 rf and while they both passed through, the 255 moving at 950 is a serious thumper. One drawback to the hipoint is it is HEAVY for walking with.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Buddy
    JBinmn, My 1100 I used deer hunting in the past came up missing several years ago while on hiatus from shot gun hunting, kids what can you do. I replaced it with a over under, for upland game hunting. For me a pistol grip is almost a must as I have lost rotation in my right wrist and have thumb hole stocks or grafted pistol grips on all my rifles/shot guns I shoot much (over and under looks a bit funny but works for me). At the moment i'm leaning tword the 45 as I have no 40, just a bunch of range brass I have pick along with dies and one mold. I do reload .40sw for my brother but have more mold choice's with the .45. I was thinking a Hi point ,,, well because its cheep and so am I, thus the CVA, which I like very much by the way. I really expected to get ripped a bit more but thanks for the positive suggestions. I will not take any shots over 50 yards and were I'm walking likely less than 30. Everything I read about the hi points are the are a fun plinker's, which is likely 99% of the rounds the carbine will see and yes it is something of a excuse to by a new gun.
    Tony

I have both the .40sw and the .45acp. Both are set up identically with Truglo 2x Red Dot sights, foregrips.

I would take the .45acp over the 40 every time. More accurate, especially past 50 yards. Bigger hole, good punch.
    I have been running 230 gr truncated cone through mine and it seems to like it.

Unless your stand is giving you good shots over 150 yards distance, I'd leave the .45/70 at home.

I would get a sling and get it adjusted so it can both keep the weight of the gun out of your hands. AND be used to stabilise your self for a better shot. US Army worked out the system. Left arm through the sling, wrap once around the forearm and left hand tensions it against the gun. Locks you into a good solid 3 point support system. And I'd practice with that extensively.

In the end, all 3 would do the job. .40sw at the bottom, 10mm in the middle and .45acp on top IMO. Comes down to bigger bullet moving a bit slower but its like a freight train, its going to blow through whatever it hits. With a little practice I would not be afraid to try a 125 or 150 yard shot. Beyond that it is going to get tougher.

The other option would be something like .44mag or .45 colt in a lever gun. But it does cost about double what a Hipoint runs.

Whatever you choose, practice until you can put that slug in a pop can at 100 yards 9 out of 10 times offhand.

Good luck making a choice and good hunting!

Under 50 yards I'd go the shotgun route as well- a light one for carrying ease.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Vendor Sponsor

45 first choice. Load on the warm side, possibly to +P with Keith type LSWC or LSWC HP. This was my bowling pin load in a 1911 and it takes the pins off the table with PLENTY of authority. It would work very well on deer.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    When sitting I do have spots where 150-200 yd shots are common thus the 45-70. I feel confident up to 150 yds with the CVA off sticks but need a bit more load and shooter development beyond that. The walk in and my "walk about" between morning and evening sits are where the Hi-point would come in. I like to stay out most of the day with a couple hr beak for lunch (depending on temperature). Doug, I wish I was better with the revolver you worked on for me but Elmer Kieth I am not.

Boolit Grand Master

With these you can do 45 Super or 460 Rowland. https://mechtechsys.com/CCUModels/19...2/Default.aspx For a basic upper the prices isn't bad if you have a handgun lower.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Ross View Post
    Doug, I wish I was better with the revolver you worked on for me but Elmer Kieth I am not.
    Practice dry fire. When you can dry fire and hold the sights motionless as the hammer falls, that is all that is required to be proficient with a revolver fired single action. The gun will shoot to the front sight. If the front sight jumps when the hammer falls in dry fire, it will never group well in live fire despite how much is done to the gun. I recommend pull off one leg of the trigger return spring (if it is in fact a Ruger single action revolver) and if it still jumps around, swap in a Wolff 30oz. trigger return spring, and you can try the same pull one leg off trick with the Wolff spring too, the idea is to lighten the trigger pull which I found helps a LOT in holding those sights perfectly still in dry fire. Memorize your grip and trigger pull and just do the same in live fire.

Also, I reduce the height of the pad on the hammer ala Bob Bradshaw so the trigger has very little creep before the gun fires. Getting rid of the creep or at least making it manageable does a LOT in holding those sights still in dry fire and shrinking groups appreciably in live fire.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-04-2019 at 02:33 PM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

My 'woods' gun is XDm40S&W, 165gr TC, ~950 fps. Does a good job on hog @ 25 - yes you have to aim a bit. Recoil is decent, I could go to 200gr and ~900 fps, little harder to handle. I can even run snake shot cartridges in it. Deer aren't tougher than hogs. It doesn't weigh much either. 45 colt is no slouch but understand the dilemma. A 10mm frame with 40sw mags/barrel would work, then you could add the Mechtech carbine conversion (with 10mm mags,>1200 fps with WSF) for stand hunting - you are thinking a new gun anyway. Total would be ~1k$ though.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master
    tough call but me personally I would go big or go home
    45 ACP
    I am about to take in possession a 500 Linebaugh Encore barrel
    for just such a situation
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    None of the above....if I had to use a straight wall cartridge in your situation I would get a .350 Legend. It would need to fit me for quick shots and it will do fine at the longer ranges. One gun to carry and it does it all.

Not what you asked for, but sometimes thinking out of the box gives a better answer. One of the inexpensive bolt will serve you well. Add a low powered fixed power scope or a low range variable (my choice). The low range variable can be dialed down for close shots and set higher when you get to your blind.
    Don Verna

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast