Reloading EverythingWidenersLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Carbine caliber choice for Iowa whitetail, 45 acp or 40 sw

Vendor Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    None of the above....if I had to use a straight wall cartridge in your situation I would get a .350 Legend. One gun to carry and it does it all.

Oohhh a .357 caliber in a short barreled AR would make for one lightweight, quick handling platform for thick woods, and then step right out to 150+yds if a longer shot came into view.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Short barreled AR is SBR and tax money + other problems. Pistol AR in 350 legend would be a handful, loaded for 150 yd shots. 357 mag is slightly hotter than 10mm in pistol or carbine. OP was asking about more 'firepower' when backpacking in with a short gun for quick targets.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Brett Ross View Post
    JBinmn, My 1100 I used deer hunting in the past came up missing several years ago while on hiatus from shot gun hunting, kids what can you do. I replaced it with a over under, for upland game hunting. For me a pistol grip is almost a must as I have lost rotation in my right wrist and have thumb hole stocks or grafted pistol grips on all my rifles/shot guns I shoot much (over and under looks a bit funny but works for me). At the moment i'm leaning tword the 45 as I have no 40, just a bunch of range brass I have pick along with dies and one mold. I do reload .40sw for my brother but have more mold choice's with the .45. I was thinking a Hi point ,,, well because its cheep and so am I, thus the CVA, which I like very much by the way. I really expected to get ripped a bit more but thanks for the positive suggestions. I will not take any shots over 50 yards and were I'm walking likely less than 30. Everything I read about the hi points are the are a fun plinker's, which is likely 99% of the rounds the carbine will see and yes it is something of a excuse to by a new gun.
    Tony
    Thanks Tony, for the direct reply.

Based on the info you provided in this recent post, unless I missed something, I understand what I have read here, & can only say what "I" would do in trying to accomplish the same goals as you described.

Personally, I would go with the .45 rather than the .40 if I was to use the choices ya offered in the OP.

If you would ask why, I would say that, for "me", and since I already have a .45ACp setup, with molds & dies, I would go that way.
    You will have to decide what it is that you would like to do, regardless or others.

The reason I say that is that I have found it best in the past to "go with what I know, & have" rather than depend on the possible "whims" of others.

Many times I have had folks say, "Yeah, I'll do it." , or, "Yeah, count me in for that." & then when the time comes( push comes to shove), it is a different story line from them. Either they are no longer interests as much as they thought, don't have the time, or the $$, or any other such reasons they come up with to balk at the doings...

If you already have the 45ACp & the possibility of getting stuff for others & "re-tooling" to do so, then sure, if you can reasonably afford to do so(re-tool, etc.), & see such changes in your future, for your own benefits, then go for it.

But if you have even the slightest feeling that by "tooling up" for something you do not even know if it would be to your benefit, then I would stick with what you already have & know about.

Best wishes & and again, G'Luck!
    Only YOU can make these decisions.

I hope that I helped maybe just a little bit, & the others here with their experiences in life, will help you as well!
    2nd Amend./U.S. Const. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

~~ WWG1WGA ~~

Restore the Republic!!!

For the Fudds > "Those who appease a tiger, do so in the hope that the tiger will eat them last." -Winston Churchill.

President Reagan tells it like it is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6MwPgPK7WQ

Phil Robertson explains the Wall: https://youtu.be/f9d1Wof7S4o

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    Short barreled AR is SBR and tax money + other problems. Pistol AR in 350 legend would be a handful, loaded for 150 yd shots. 357 mag is slightly hotter than 10mm in pistol or carbine. OP was asking about more 'firepower' when backpacking in with a short gun for quick targets.
    Well...a HiPoint carbine is not very short or light and carrying in two rifles makes no sense to me.

I think carrying is a single rifle that does the job is what I would do...but I am old and lazy. Lugging 15+ pounds of metal does not appeal to me.

If rapid repeat shots are a requirement, a 16” AR in .350 will address that and still be good to 200 yards. No tax stamp issues either. I would still get a bolt action but that is me.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    If a person already has a 223 AR, there are 350 Legend 16" carbine gas system barrels out there already for
    $80. Piece of cake to switch barrels or build an upper in 350 Legend. you do also need a 350 legend magazine or two
    as the std 223 mags may not feed well.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Master
    I would and did choose the .45 ACP Hi Point. A 255 grain flat nose at 950 fps is a proven combination; like a .45 Colt revolver but in the guise of an autoloading carbine. And it will handle .45 Super, too.

A Trapper length levergun in 357 or 44 mag. would be my first choice, but a 10mm out of your list.

Boolit Grand Master

Good morning
    Bottom line … Bigger holes are always better. I would be launching a .452 250 grainer flat nose at max accuracy / velocity. You want a complete pass through. you want a nice red trail that is easy to follow if need be.
    I always ere on using enough rifle plus.
    Mike in LLama Land
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bought a Ruger American 450 bushmaster fo the job. I also have a 77/44, Ruger 44 mag carbine, and savage 220 for backups.

Boolit Master

What I know: .45ACP is an easy cartridge to run cast in, with a long history of being run in SMG's, SBR's, and carbines. You also have a .45 Colt revolver, so there may be some mold interchangeability in the .452" - .453" range.

What I don't know: It seems the .40S&W might suffer from some of the same cast bullet issues that plague folks when they start shooting cast in 9mm, notably, bullets getting squashed undersize when seating into a short case.

Why not a .45 Colt levergun?
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    With your choices, I think you are limiting your range considerably, and not beating shotgun trajectory or velocity by much, if any. For close in shooting, one shot should do the deed regardless. Encumbering yourself with two guns would wear you out, and make it harder to get a gun into action.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    With your choices, I think you are limiting your range considerably, and not beating shotgun trajectory or velocity by much, if any. For close in shooting, one shot should do the deed regardless. Encumbering yourself with two guns would wear you out, and make it harder to get a gun into action.
    It looks like I am not alone in thinking carrying two guns is a less than stellar idea.

To the OP...before spending money on your carbine, take two guns with you into the woods before deer season and practice not just carrying them, but trying to get a quick shot off while doing so.
    Don Verna

Banned

Personally, I can't see any realistic situation where one of the High Points would be better at deer killing than your .45-70.

Don, I was just thinking a semiauto 10mm pistol, then backpack the 18" upper, switch in the stand.
    Whatever!

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Ross View Post
    OK, let me explain a bit more. In Iowa we can use straight wall pistol caliber, as of a couple of years ago for what used to be shotgun only. Last year I purchased a CVA hunter in 45/70 and was able to harvest a small doe. I mostly just sit (about all I can do any more) but like to "still hunt" on the very slow trip back to my sitting spots. I find the single shot not a good choice for this task as the shots, if they come are very short but must be taken expediently. I do carry a .45 colt revolver but just not a good enough, to trust my-self with it. So I thought, a Hi point carbine in 45 ACP or 40 SW may work for the trip back, while backpacking the 45-70 in for the sit. I have all the brass, dies and molds for these two calibers or I would consider the 10mm (don't want to by a bunch of brass I will likely just lose). Now that I have explained my thought process you can make your suggestions or just "flame away" which ever you choose.
    Thanks Tony
    Of course you know the time that monster buck will appear is when you have both hands full.
    Oh great, another thread that makes me spend money.

Vendor Sponsor

I meant pistol length and should have clarified in my original post. I would never advise someone to create a SBR because of the bs you mentioned.

10.5" barreled AR in 45 Super or 460 Rowland would be the bees knees under 100yds. Over 100yds should rule out ANY pistol unless you can hold it to 3" groups at your hunting distance. I don't consider 6" groups acceptable for hunting deer at any distance.

150gr supersonic in my pistol length 300 BO is a handful I admit. 220gr sub is akin to a government model 1911 just in a larger format.
    Last edited by DougGuy; 09-09-2019 at 08:11 AM.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Grand Master
    Don, I was just thinking a semiauto 10mm pistol, then backpack the 18" upper, switch in the stand.
    Except the OP said he is not competent with a pistol...thus his desire for a carbine.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    What ever carbine he picks, if it were me, I’d be researching the velocity gains. IMO the whole reason IA went to straight walled pistol so hunters could gain some advantage to longer shots. That’s why I bought a Ruger American 450 Bushmaster. The action is strong enough to handle 460 S&W loads(I tried it) as long as you loctite the scope rail down. Midway/bear creek makes complete 16” and 18” 450 bushmaster uppers that range from $209 to $229 so if you already have a lower your all set. The boolit is .003” smaller in diameter as your 45-70 so you’ll have retained energy at longer ranges vs the smaller calibers. Factory loads with 250 grain j words are 2250 FPS and hornady makes 225 and 220 grain j words to get you to 2500 FPS or more with Sami spec loads. I sit over some 250 yard spots so I don’t mess with cast when I’m out of state and spending four bills on a license looking for a once in a lifetime trophy. Just my opinion take it for what it’s worth.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-09-2019 at 09:54 AM.

I do carry a .45 colt revolver but just not a good enough, to trust my-self with it. Not sure what his purpose for the revolver is.
    Last edited by popper; 09-09-2019 at 03:36 PM.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    Popper, just to look cool or if one come's up and licks me in the face, might take that shot. All, thanks for your response's. I may just keep things as they are and carry the CVA 45/70 only. It's kind of silly to spend the money as I just give the meat to my hunting buddy, the wife will not eat it. Anymore, I hunt just to get out of the house and make winter feel, a bit shorter.
    Tony

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast