Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
RepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gears ... or how to save $78

Banned

Gears ... or how to save $78

Warning .... this may turn into a rant , and it really doesn't have anything to do with bullet casting .

So lets start with why ... I have a spindle failing on my lawnmower deck . I've rigged it up just to get by for awhile but it isn't going to last and a new spindle is pretty near $400
    So I am going to make a new one . But .... isn't there always a but ?
    To make it I need to be able to cut left hand threads , something my Chinese lathe won't do .
    But ( there it is again ) if I add a gear to my drive train I can make it happen . If I use two gears I can make a nice fancy idler set up and make things even fancier and be able to go from forward to reverse without having to set up the gear each time .

But. ( yet again ) two store bought gears are going to be $78 after shipping .

So I tell myself ... screw that I didn't buy machine tools to spend money on store bought junk ! I'll make my own gosh darn gears and really stick it to the man ! .... yea

After two hours with machinery's handbook and eating twelve Advil
    From the math headache
    I've sort of slussed out how to make a cutter .
    Four hours later I've got a cutter 75% finished . I made it from 01 tool steel . It still needs hardened and then finished ground to sharpen it.

So now I have a cutter , danged if I don't need someway to hold it on the mill . An hour and a half later I have a mostly finished arbor .
    It still needs a key way cut ... I'll do that when I set up the dividing head again .

Speaking of dividing heads .... I also needed an arbor to hold the the gear blank when I cut the gear . The arbor I used for the cutter is to big for the blank fyi.
    So about an hour and a half later I had another arbor almost done .
    It still needs the clamping nut turned into a hex or a square for a wrench !

Oh yea ... I also need a blank for a gear . So bored and turned a blank from acetal plastic for a test before I put two more hours in the cutter .

Let's review ... so far I am about 10 hours into an effort to save $78
    And will easily have another 4-5 hours just in making two gears .
    Makes a lot of sense doesn't it .

Attachment 247776

Moderator Emeritus
    Just curious as to why your lathe won’t cut left hand threads. Can you feed the cutting tool from the tool head towards the tail stock? You should also be able to cut the left hand threads on the back side of the workpiece with the feed towards the headstock. The tool will need to be upside down.

Banned
    Oh that's a simple answer , if I reverse the spindle it also reverses
    The lead screw , so if you just hit reverse you get right handed threads cut from left to right .
    To cut left hand threads you need to be able to reverse the lead screw while the spindle go forward .
    Yea ... about as clear as mud . But that's what has to happen .
    Or the exact opposite , reverse the spindle and not the lead screw of course .

If you think that's hard to grasp .... try to understand the quantum physics on why you can't use the same cutter on a 52 tooth gear as you would a 27 tooth gear .
    Last edited by redneck1; 09-03-2019 at 10:02 PM.

What is the thread you are trying to cut?

Banned
    Not a rant at all.

Not sure why you need left hand threads on a mower spindle but if you say you do, then I guess you do need it.

I understand having the machine tools and wanting to put them to use, however......(don't get mad at me).....at some point the value of your time exceeds the value of someone else's time.

To me a spindle is a housing that contains a shaft and some bearings. The shaft has a blade fitted on one end and a pulley or gear on the other end. The housing that holds all that stuff provides the means to mount the spindle to something else (usually a mower deck).

You're 10 hours into making the TOOLS to make the spindle and you haven't even started making the spindle !

I understand the path you're on, I've been down that path. Typically when I go down that path it is due to necessity (read that as lack of money) and not really by choice.

Boolit Grand Master

Never complain about the time spent making tools. The next time you need them they are ready to go. Gramps use to say no time lost in the whetting. I have tools I have used only twice in 30 years but they were there the second time and saved me money and time. I am currently making a set of reamers to make paper patch bullet moulds, I may never use them again but who knows.

Boolit Master

The Home Shop Machinist mag had a story about making gear cutters many years back. Single tooth cutter using a 1/4" lathe bit. The radius was ground in the mill with the tool bit held in the vice. A simple fixture to hold the tool bit in the collet. No heat treat needed and it will work, a little slower than a regular cutter.

Banned
    I won't say I am complaining , more questioning my sanity .
    For the most part I enjoy the time spent making and fixing things .
    But when one project snowballs into twelve I sometimes wonder exactly how much sense the effort takes .
    For instance I mention the cost of the gears , but I didn't mention that I could have bought a Chinese gear cutter for about $12 .. or the whole set needed to cut from 12 - 160 teeth for about $100

But ( yet again ) as mentioned the experience does make it worthwhile when your learning new skills .
    Plus little costs do add up over time and it does take time to earn money , time that you are giving someone else in exchange for that money .

So back to gears , there are a whole lot of ways to make them without a hobbing machine .
    I have looked at ways to make them with single point cutters in both the mill and shaper . There is a lot of peril involved with a single point cutter ... mostly the risk if breaking the cutter if you screw up and do something wrong or dumb and then having to make a new exact duplicate tool .
    There are ways to do it on a shaper ( which I have ) that don't need
    The perfect form ground in the tool but I'd have to build the fixture and still put the time in .

With all that said , I went this way ( and to all the effort )for a couple reasons .
    First and for most I was comfortable getting the cutter made correctly so I have nice gears that won't ruin the surface finish I get from my lathe or be overly noisy from not being quite right .
    I'll also have the benefit of being able to cut left hand threads of course .
    Plus I'll now be able to cut from the left to the right without having to turn tools upside down . Improving my lathe for future projects .
    And lastly , I might want to make some oddball change gears in the future and now I'll be able to .

Whew .... the effort we go to to justify things to ourselves .
    I think I've convinced myself it's all worth it .

No gear cutting tonight . I am going to get the dividing head set up indicated in and call it good . I hear some blt's calling my name for dinner .

Boolit Grand Master
    Must be a heck of a mower. I got two spindles for my Husqvarna for about $60 on eBay. Can't see any spindle worth $400.

Share your mower make so we can STAY AWAY FROM the manufacturer.
    Don Verna

Banned
    You can get left handed taps and dies on eBay for cheap. Ever thought of going that way?

He seems to be focused on gears vs what left hand threads he needs to cut.

Banned
    Taps and dies cost money , only the briefest thought towards a die entered my mind . I haven't measured to know the exact size
    But it's metric , left handed and about 35 mm .. add that up and expensive comes to mind .
    Besides that , I need to cut left hand threads now so there's a good chance I'll need to again in the future so a die only delays the inevitable

And yes I am focused on gears , I need the gears to cut the threads when I make the spindle . I didn't measure the thread pitch when I had it apart because at the moment it was and still is a bit of a moot point .
    When I am ready to make the spindle I'll worry about it .

I say lawnmower , but it's a Ford tractor , Kubota bx series size
    It's close to 30 years old and they was pretty darn expensive when new so they only sold my tractor a few years in the state's .
    Shibuhara who made the tractor for Ford still sells parts , and most of the parts for the tractor itself are over the counter still at the Ford dealer ... plus a lot of parts cross reference to Kubota .
    But the deck spindle I need is the one the pto gear box goes on
    And it's a complete assembly or nothing , add in shipping from Japan
    And it's expensive .
    But it's a nice heavy fabricated deck that's very much worth the effort to fix . Actually if it hadn't been so well built I might have caught the bad bearing that trashed the spindle soon enough to need nothing more then a $12 bearing .

Boolit Master

Any Mower with a $400 dollar spindle needs to be replaced with a new mower.

Dollars vs. cost to mow. Time is money mowing

Banned
    I'm still wondering about the need for left hand threads.

Banned
    Geezer ... easy math again , a new comparable size tractor with a mower deck $14,000 or more .
    I'd be very happy to take cash or a check for a new tractor
    The left hand threads is easy as well ... the gear box attaches to the spindle ( which drives the rest of the deck ) with a left hand thread , short of throwing the gear box away and starting from scratch it's left hand or nothing .

I'd take a pic and show you , but the deck is on the tractor still and the guard's don't come off without taking the deck off .... @400lbs I don't remove it any more often then I need to

Almost set up for gear cutting ,... I tell myself every time I should make a sub plate and save some time aligning things up .
    But it went quickly this time .
    I'll put the dividing plates and the sector arms on once I get the clamping nut cut for a wrench ... tomarows project . Two blt's telling me to relax and do nothing tonight .

Attachment 247818

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    I'm still wondering about the need for left hand threads.
    Im assuming the rotation of the spindle would cause a right handed nut back off.

Banned
    To be simple that's it .... if it had been the case of simply a nut I would have just went to a right hand thread and either used safety wire or drilled it for a lock pin .

In this case the output shaft of the gear box goes directly on the spindle and is left hand for just that reason .

Sounds like a fun project! Some times its nice to just make stuff yourself. I've got several 16T gears and a pinion gear that I should make for my Sheldon Lathe.

Banned
    I do enjoy making things myself , but sometimes I go overboard and fall down a rabbit hole .

I also tend to work slowly and methodically so projects take more time then they should . I also have issues with math .
    A whole heck of a lot of the math needed in machining is beyond me .
    So I spend a lot of extra time with it , either learning what I need to
    Or learning how to do things without the math ... and yes more often then not it can be done .

Case in point ... I'll probably spend an hour or more just figuring out what plate I need and holes for just the dividing .

Taps and dies cost money , only the briefest thought towards a die entered my mind . I haven't measured to know the exact size
    But it's metric , left handed and about 35 mm .. add that up and expensive comes to mind .
    They do, I’ll be the first to admit the fact. That said if you don’t know what you even need to end up with, you not only know at what price point you can achieve the desired result but even if it can be done for less than what you are already looking at.

I am all for expanding knowledge and such but with a “how to save $78” title, I need more information.

Just to put another spin on things, I have at times asked folks about “how to” and they have solved the problem with a single tool loaned to me..and a nice dinner for their significant other and them.

I have at times dumped a lot into “one time” soultions but that is after all other options proved to be less ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast