Load DataWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading

Thread: 350 Legend Brass

Boolit Master

350 Legend Brass

Has anybody started making 350 Legend brass from 223 Remington?

Boolit Master

Is that going to be possible since 223 is 0.378" and 350 legend is 0.390"? I guess you could and have a 0.006" bulge around the case. I'd try it myselfnif I had a 350, but dont plan on getting one at the moment.

Boolit Buddy
    I assume once its fire forms it will be fine for 4 or so loads

Boolit Master

Probably so yes.

I just have been buying the FMJ factory for less than 10$ a box. Pulling the Bullets saving powder trimming cases. Re using factory powder with my own bullet and enjoying sub MOA accuracy.
    I dont “need” to make brass. Besides if your gonna buy 223 basic to attempt it real Legend brass is available and even a bit CHEAPER!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    Probably so yes.

I just have been buying the FMJ factory for less than 10$ a box. Pulling the Bullets saving powder trimming cases. Re using factory powder with my own bullet and enjoying sub MOA accuracy.
    I dont “need” to make brass. Besides if your gonna buy 223 basic to attempt it real Legend brass is available and even a bit CHEAPER!

CW
    Buying 223 around here is foolish, we are having a hard enough time at the club to get the "blasters"--the guys who show up and rattle of 200-300 rounds at 25 yards to pick up their own brass. Over the last couple of years I've picked up and recycled thousands of pieces of 223 brass. I belong to two private clubs and occasionally shoot on a public range, it is the same at all three, as much 223 as you want for the taking.

And being a card carrying member of the "can it be done" club, if I loaded for the 350 Legend, I'd try it.

I'm the guy who was dumb enough to make 7.62x39r out of the aforementioned free 223 brass.

Just because.

Boolit Master
    I just took 60 pounds of .223 brass to the scrap yard. I would take all that someone would give me but it would still end up in the scrap yard. I don't reload 9mm or .223 anymore.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

There's a current thread by Oldfeller in Cast Boolits discussing this very thing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Buying 223 around here is foolish, we are having a hard enough time at the club to get the "blasters"--the guys who show up and rattle of 200-300 rounds at 25 yards to pick up their own brass. Over the last couple of years I've picked up and recycled thousands of pieces of 223 brass. I belong to two private clubs and occasionally shoot on a public range, it is the same at all three, as much 223 as you want for the taking.

And being a card carrying member of the "can it be done" club, if I loaded for the 350 Legend, I'd try it.

I'm the guy who was dumb enough to make 7.62x39r out of the aforementioned free 223 brass.

Just because.
    How the heck do you make 7.62x39 out of .223?
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master

I'm thinking that you'd need to fire form and possibly even neck turn to make 350 Legend out of .223.

The idea of being able to form .223 brass and use .357 jacketed bullets was really appealing.

That seems to not be the case for 350 Legend. Because of that, I have been waiting that one out.

If it turns out to be a cast-friendly caliber, I might jump in, even if I have to buy brass. I've been seeing once-fired for sale online so far, and I've heard of affordable factory ammo. If I had a home rifle range or even a decent one nearby, I'd be alot more willing to jump in.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I don't have any 5.56 AR type rifles, on single shot and BA 223s. I got a ton of 5.56/ 223 mil spec brass from the AR crowd. I don't reload anything but 223 brass from commercial hunting ammo or new 223 brass. The mil brass & mil spec brass has less case volume. If you are using IMR powder like 4198 you can't get a dupe GI load in case without compressing it. Commercial case you can tap down and seat bullet without compressing. Old GI load was 3250fps/ 55gr FMJ.

9mm Luger I don't load either. I have a Brn HP comp model and I've tried to load for it with cast and failed to come up with anything as good as factory Win FMJ Target. The 9mm keeps accumulating too.

Selling 223 or 9mm brass is like trying to sell snow balls to an Eskimo.

Boolit Master

The fact that you couldn't (easily) use 223/556 brass was what turned me off to this caliber. After the sillyness that was making a .355 rifle bore that is...

But when I looked at this from a cast bullet stand point bullets and there diameter was far less of a concern. Being quite Familiar with the 357 Maxi for decades now.
    Couple that with loaded ammo as cheap as brass... WHY EVEN BOTHER MAKING BRASS?!?!?

Dont get me wrong. I love the idea of creating brass cases to bring some obsolete caliber back and be able to shoot and enjoy it. THIS IS NOT THAT, come on guys?!?!? Brass is readily available and NOT COSTLY!!

CW

Boolit Master

This is why I just built a 50 Beowulf. Purchased a billet upper and free floated foreend for a 350 Legend as I was looking at the 357AR but couldn't find a barrel and figured the 350 Legend would be similar to a standardized 357AR. Well, if I have to buy brass and dies anyway I figured I'd build a 50 caliber AR and name it Sheila...

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    How the heck do you make 7.62x39 out of .223?
    It's actually 7.62x38R, for the Nagant revolver.

Another explanation of why one should not buy guns that were designed for jacketed bullets.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    The fact that you couldn't (easily) use 223/556 brass was what turned me off to this caliber. After the sillyness that was making a .355 rifle bore that is...

But when I looked at this from a cast bullet stand point bullets and there diameter was far less of a concern. Being quite Familiar with the 357 Maxi for decades now.
    Couple that with loaded ammo as cheap as brass... WHY EVEN BOTHER MAKING BRASS?!?!?

Dont get me wrong. I love the idea of creating brass cases to bring some obsolete caliber back and be able to shoot and enjoy it. THIS IS NOT THAT, come on guys?!?!? Brass is readily available and NOT COSTLY!!

CW
    After seeing what is going on today maybe now you can understand!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by deltaenterprizes View Post
    After seeing what is going on today maybe now you can understand!
    It dosent change things at all

Making them STILL ISNT recommended.

Being PREPAIRED is a better option. But if you didnt you will do what you need to do.