Reloading EverythingLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Speer 180gr. 35 rem. Bullet in 357 magnum

Boolit Master

Speer 180gr. 35 rem. Bullet in 357 magnum

I've been wanting to try this for some time now. I have h110, the bullets, and a henry single shot. I'm just not sure where to start with h110. The crimp groove on the 35 rem bullet is VERY similar to a 158 grain jacketed bullet, while a 180 grain 357 bullet seat much deeper in the case. I'm looking to get as close to 1850 fps out of this as possible. The end result is for a 100-125 yard open field deer cartridge.
    I know I can just use a different caliber or a 357 bullet or any other argument. But from a 22 inch barrel, I'm betting it can be done. I'm just looking for a SMART, SAFE place to start.

I may catch flak for this, but since you can't overload a 357 mag with H110 I would see where the bullet needs to seat to work with the throat, fill the case with powder to that point, back off two grains and start from there working up watching for pressure signs.

Boolit Master
    If it was me, I'd take that Henry single shot and ream it to .357max. Bellm or Dave White can do it for you pretty easily. You'll then have the opportunity to use a few powders that work better in the gun than h110. Nothing wrong with that powder, but I've got pages and pages of load data for the .357max that have loads that shoot better and really offer a lot in the way of velocity. Here's one of my favorite loads right now (in a single shot you can forget about crimping and use any oal as long as it allows you to close the gun).

Attachment 247740Attachment 247741

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I may catch flak for this, but since you can't overload a 357 mag with H110 I would see where the bullet needs to seat to work with the throat, fill the case with powder to that point, back off two grains and start from there working up watching for pressure signs.
    This was what I was thinking as well. It seems to be pretty standard for h110.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    If it was me, I'd take that Henry single shot and ream it to .357max. Bellm or Dave White can do it for you pretty easily. You'll then have the opportunity to use a few powders that work better in the gun than h110. Nothing wrong with that powder, but I've got pages and pages of load data for the .357max that have loads that shoot better and really offer a lot in the way of velocity. Here's one of my favorite loads right now (in a single shot you can forget about crimping and use any oal as long as it allows you to close the gun).

Attachment 247740Attachment 247741
    357 max is in the near future for this rifle. But funds are low and hunting season is too close to send it out.

Boolit Master

REAM IT YOURSELF!!!

A SS rifle is dead easy, I have done 5-6 by hand. Takes maybe 15 minutes!!

Its not nearly as involved as you may think. I'm happy to help ya.

Yea I agree and feel this is your best option. The 180 Speer is a tough bullet and really needs as close to 2K on target to be all it can be. The old discontinued Hornady SSP was softer and more forgiving. This isnt speculation I have been doing this with mags and Maxis since the 1980’s.

If ya stay mag a very good bullet is Hornadys FP FTX. IT WILL PREFORM like the best deer bullet you have ever used. Its tailored to preform under 2K vel and thats SMACK IN THE MAGS WHEEL
    HOUSE FROM A CARBINE!! I have taken a few deer with this bullet and only recover them on larger bone impacts. Speed discontinued another dandy when the pulled the plug on the 170 Gold Dot SP.

If you need to stay 180, the XTP is a better choice. It will Preform Better and the slower magnum velocities.

PM me if ya want more info. The 35’s are my favorite and Im happy to help another 35 convert!

Good luck!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

I know a guy here in town that shots .358 Jsp bullets out of a 357 Ruger Bisley. Just commenting on use of bullet diameter. Don't know what bullet he is using but he said the cylinder of the Bisley is only one long enought to use it. I think bullet is a Hornady.

Boolit Master
    Doing this to make a heavy suppressed round makes sense to me, but otherwise why not just get a 35 cal rifle?

Moderator Emeritus

I was very pleased with the expansion of that bullet when driven to 2800 fps as intended out of a 356 Winchester. I doubt you will be at 1850 fps.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Page 311 in the Speer manual No 9

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer_No9_357Rifle.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	247826

Test rifle was a '92 Winchester with a 20" barrel

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerd View Post
    Page 311 in the Speer manual No 9

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer_No9_357Rifle.jpg 
Views:	128 
Size:	28.3 KB 
ID:	247826

Test rifle was a '92 Winchester with a 20" barrel
    You are the MAN!! THANK YOU!!!!!

Boolit Master
    use rcbs sil boolit in my trapper<195>grains when i cast them with 11.5gr of2400 =1250fps accurate load drops2foot at 200 yards with100 yard zero

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I load the 180 grain Speer a little hot in my 35 Rem. 2350 fps. It makes a good 2” entry and exit holes in whitetails. Want load some up in my 35 whelen.

Moderator Emeritus

http://www.suitorsgarage.com/gunstuf...5rempart2.html
    Casual reading you might want to check out. I think it will do well if you can keep impact speeds over 2300 fps.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I have a few 35Rem Rifles, Marlin 336 & Rem 14, 141, 8 & 81. Shot a lot of deer with them. The one thing they all have in common is that the RN bullets are best for accuracy. I shoot 200gr Hornady RNs in all mine. The 141 has become my favorite woods deer gun.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    The 180 grain Speer “pointed” bullet shoots it’s best so far at 3/4” group with a pump 7600 carbine at 100 yards and 7/8” group at 100 yards with my 100th anniversary 336 both in 35 Remington. That’s with testing about 14 different plus powder ladder loads or so. Im sure I could do better if I tried a more powders. The only load I’ve tried out if my 7600 35 whelen carbine was the factory hornady 200 grain super performance ammo at 2910 FPS. The ammo shoots a consistent 1.1” to 1.25” group at 100 yards. I haven’t shot factory loaded ammo in about 20 years till this gun last fall. I’ve never received good groups with any of the factory hornady loaded ammo but with a lot of testing I can always get a cloverleaf with my varmint rifles using vmax. Nosler ballistic tips are way easier to find the correct load and consistently tighter groups than any hornady bullet I’ve loaded for. My furthest shot is about a 150 yards on my property with the average shot being 25 to 40 yards 99.9% for the deer I harvest.The only deer I witnessed shot with this bullet I loaded for my dad in the 7600 carbine at 2350 FPS. He shot a small 8 point right behind the shoulder and low...he was shooting up hill. The deer was hit in the heart perfectly and exited on the opposite. He hit the deer about 2” from the bottom chest base and exited about 4/5” from the base of the rubs on the opposite side. The entry and exit holes were the size of a big silver dollar. He told me the deer jumped straight up at the shot and ran. He blood trailed it a good 45 to 50 plus yards and found it expired. I would have loved to see what it would have done center mass right behind the front shoulder.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 09-13-2019 at 11:14 AM.