Snyders JerkyInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Really stuck choke tube

Really stuck choke tube

Ok so a bit of back story, got a import ATI auto in a trade that has the worst stuck tube I've ever seen. I have a 100 straight tube removal set I built and this got the tube unscrewed. However this tube is so enlarged even after it's completely unscrewed the tube is still firmly held in the barrel. Any ideas other than pinning a plug in the choke so as to coerce it out with a slide hammer or a brass rod from the inside? I've soaked it in penetrating oil, I've frozen it, I've tried the lathe chuck.
    This is the poster child of what not to do to a screw in choke, no lube, never removed for cleaning, goose gun that got a solid diet of 3.5 high speed steel for 3 seasons straight.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Try heating it. Don't get carried away, no hotter than the barrel would get while shooting. Some heat them before installing to make them stay put.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!