Inline FabricationRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
RepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Reloading Everything

Thread: Lyman # 573602 Minie' mould?

In Remembrance

Lyman # 573602 Minie' mould?

Hi to the smoke-belching brethren! I have recently come across a Lyman mould # 575602 which appears to be a 400 grain hollow base minie' type slug. Any one on this august board have experience with this particular minie' design? I have the Lyman # 5753213OS mould and it works OK with my P59 Parker Hale, but I was looking for something with about 100 grains less boolit to reduce recoil since I usually shoot at 75 and 100 yards. Thanks in advance!

Hi curator,
    That minie was designed for the .58 Kentucky style pistols. I have the mould and shot it in a .58 Zouave with moderate success.
    The skirt is quite thin and will blow out with heavier loads. Start out on the lower end of the charge and work up.

Jeff

Banned
    If you're also looking for another mold for that rifle I have a never used Parker-Hale mold with handles I'm going to sell for $140.00.

Lyman changed plug diameters over the years. The plugs in your two Lyman molds may be interchangeable. If so you have four minie designs instead of two. Find another design with the same plug diameter and you've got oodles and scads of variations in weight and bearing length to try.

Boolit Buddy
    A friend just bought the 575494 315 gr mold and it shoots fantastic! The shoulder cuts nice clean holes in paper and will do well on game. I think he was shooting it over 50 gr 2f.

And you can use 575494 with the plugs from other Lyman minie molds to make different weights and longer bearing lengths.

I've got some 575602 shorty round noses around here somewhere made up for low recoil trials in the P-H Musketoon that were cast using the 575494 cavity plug. Thought maybe could get the front band to be slightly engraving on the rifling. Haven't tried them out yet.