Load DataReloading EverythingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: 16 inch barrel on CVA Wolf

16 inch barrel on CVA Wolf

Anybody cut down a CVA Wolf? Specifically wondering about mounting sights. Any ideas?

Saw a video on YouTube and now I feel I must own a shorty muzzleloader.

Boolit Master
    If you feel the need ,sell yours to help buy my TC custom shop (Buckeye Special) 50 cal shorty /Ed

Well that’s the thing I don’t actually have a muzzleloader. I have been looking at the wolf, and was wondering if iron sights could be added to a shortened barrel.

Boolit Master
    I've a Monarch from the 60's which was bubba'd and cut down to 18 inches. Ended up turning it into a trade type decorated with copper tacks. I load it like a long barreled pistol with 45 grains of 3F. Also have a Frontier side lock which is an early Wolf with a wooden stock. No reason you can't cut a wolf down they aren't a high end gun and are readily available.
    Adding iron sights just takes some time and a good set of mini files to cut the dovetails.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by T_McD View Post
    Anybody cut down a CVA Wolf? Specifically wondering about mounting sights. Any ideas?

Saw a video on YouTube and now I feel I must own a shorty muzzleloader.
    Mind posting a link to the video? I’m curious.

I have a .50 cal Lyman Deerstalker and have been contemplating a shorty (17-20”) barrel, and maybe a 28 ga instead of .50 or .54 cal. All depending maybe a .50 cal and 28 ga. Two .535” patched balls ought to do nicely to 50 yds from what I’ve read. Seems ideal if one were to need to track something like a wounded hog. And at a handy length with #6 I’d think it good for small game.

It can be fairly inexpensive for additional barrels so I’ve been considering how it’s somewhat versatile like a T/C Contender. A barrel ideal for shooting big bullets to 200 yds, a .54 cal 24” like mine for larger game (stalking rifle), a shorty version or two, and because it’s a 15/16” muzzleloader a long barreled (28-32”) 28 ga can produce roughly 20 ga results easily. And for that a screw-in choke system for cyl, mod, and full or extra full potentially for turkey.

What is it you are hoping to get from a short barrel? I will be using a 24" .54 this month for elk and bear and it seems pretty darned short already.
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Quote Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
    What is it you are hoping to get from a short barrel? I will be using a 24" .54 this month for elk and bear and it seems pretty darned short already.
    A big grin!

I could care less about giving up some velocity, it will still get the job done (plinking mostly).

Boolit Master
    I see a shorty barrel being especially nice either hunting in really thick stuff or for tracking a wounded animal that might want to get even if you catch up to it.

It also seems like a load of fun. There’s been a fair number of handguns, both revolvers and muszleloaders, that have had removable stocks so others before us have found what was considered a good reason to have one.

Just cut in a dovetail or sweat one on I've cut a couple dovetails with hacksaw and triangular files don't need to go real deep
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Bub

cva made an optima pistol with a 14 inch barrel. I picked one up last year and it shoots good. Shot a doe in the late season at about 100 yards. Boolit hit were i was aiming and she didn't go far. Shooting 70 grains of black horn 209 an noe 240 rnfp boolit. Have a burris 1.5-4 power pistol scope on it.

Boolit Master

Sure you can!

I havent chopped a CVA barrel but a dozen or more H&R barrels. I like to add T/C sites. Mostly cause I had a bunch but also cause they seem to regulate properly. I index where the site needs to be before cutting. As I use existing holes as a guide for top dead center. Cut the barrel, center punch the barrel using the site and drill and tap it.

Another way has been suggested and that to get some files for dovetails and cut a dove tail. I suggest a practice run on a scrap barrel or tube of steel. I would also recommend some reference lines for TDC before chopping.

Last might be easiest. And that to solder it on. Clean and flux parts clamp and heat allowing the solder to draw to the heat. Its not quite as strong unless you have the heat to use silver. But probably enough.

Good luck!

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw