Titan ReloadingRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
WidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .308 Silvertip Construction

Quote Originally Posted by chutesnreloads View Post
    Thank you Redhawk.That is precisely the experience oriented answer I was looking for.Yes hogs are tough but a good hit to the central nervous system puts them right down....My reason for wanting a less tough bullet with good expansion.Not hunting for meat but I prefer they don't run off after being hit.The extra expansion just ups the odds a bit
    If you're not worried about ruining meat...then use the STs. They will do well. I also have some of the Remington 180gr bronze tips. I had to seat them slightly deeper than the cannelure. The bullets are so long that they wouldn't feed correctly from my Ruger M77 MK-II box magazine. I stopped using them because I didn't think they provided reliable expansion. They might do better on a tougher game like a hog though. They just weren't quite as effective on deer size game.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    Those green boxes sure look like Sierra bullets to me? Show us where the box says Silvertips ROUND NOSE I'm guessing someone ran those bullets into a nose die and swaged them to RN
    Oh my gawd.....I have been "outed"........caught red handed putting Winchester bullets (they are original STs, not re-swaged) into empty Sierra boxes.......what to do about the other Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Speer and probably a couple other boxes that I've put odds n ends bullets of different make in....then......sheessshhh.....what about all the cast bullets I've put in those boxes........it's probably going to hit it now......

I suppose I'll get a visit from BBC [Bullet Box Police] now so if you don't here from me for a while I've probably been carted off to one of the "detention camps" to the south of me until I can prove I'm not some illegal alien who has the bodacious hypocrisy to actual put a different make and kind of bullets into an empty Sierra bullet box..........

Or perhaps I'll never will get out of BBJ [Bullet Box Jail....] for these indiscretions..........

Attachment 247785
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-03-2019 at 10:48 PM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by swheeler View Post
    I just posted a picture of 30 cal for 30/40 Krag and 300 H$H factory loaded they have a small flat on the tip just like the 308 Gibson posted.
    well... since my cellphone is my only camera and I cant post pics with it here, if you pm me a number to text/send a pic of the pointed ones to I can, and then you can play the "upload a pic to cast boolits game". I tried texting/sending to my email and it just wont go through. I used to have a neat thingamajiggy that would transfer but that was from my old (they called it obsolete) phone. Just cant win!
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

After extremely careful inspection (with my glasses on this time) I could find a lot of calibers that looked round but had just the slightest "flat spot" on the tip. However on the 375 H&H Mag and the 257 Roberts silvertips look to me to be ROUND nosed without a "flat" spot at all. I didnt go through the entire drawer but I'm sure I could find others.
    Looking for Ideal mold 419181 (44 Evans Long)
    "Joined Dates" are deceiving if you factor-in "lurk" dates.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Oh my gawd.....I have been "outed"........caught red handed putting Winchester bullets (they are original STs, not re-swaged) into empty Sierra boxes.......what to do about the other Sierra, Hornady, Nosler, Speer and probably a couple other boxes that I've put odds n ends bullets of different make in....then......sheessshhh.....what about all the cast bullets I've put in those boxes........it's probably going to hit it now......

I suppose I'll get a visit from BBC [Bullet Box Police] now so if you don't here from me for a while I've probably been carted off to one of the "detention camps" to the south of me until I can prove I'm not some illegal alien who has the bodacious hypocrisy to actual put a different make and kind of bullets into an empty Sierra bullet box..........

Or perhaps I'll never will get out of BBJ [Bullet Box Jail....] for these indiscretions..........

Attachment 247785
    See, someone is always watching and you will get caught!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Hopefully you won't hear "Get a rope", Larry

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, might even be "labeled" a "cereal" box offender........
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

I've never seen bullets shaped like that, are you sure you haven't gotten into your suppository stash? you need those immediately, double dose
    Last edited by swheeler; 09-05-2019 at 10:49 AM.
    Charter Member #148

You guys are having way too much fun with this one. To the original poster, the 180 grain Silvertip from the 308 will kill any hog deader than dead can be dead.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Too bad they don't make them anymore. A buddy has 5 rounds of 308 loaded with silver tips he found. Really worked well on his deer he got this fall. He's been trying to find more but seems there isn't anything quite like them made now.

Boolit Grand Master

They were excellent bullets for hunting.
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

My uncle has several boxes on his shelf, I've asked him why he doesn't use them. He replied, they blow up and cause too much meat damage. I collect them, mostly because they look cool.

Boolit Master

I have three boxes of these left, 220 grain factory loads for 300 WM.
    These are good for up to Elk size game, I've taken a whitetail at 200+ yards with these, the exit wound on the opposite shoulder was 4+ inches.

I also load these for whitetail in my 270, they have never failed, provided I did my part.

Hogs, not sure I would use the silver tips, the bronze point would be my choice, as they were designed for thicker skinned animals.

Scott
    Scott

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.

Good memories! I haven't seen a 30-30 silver tip in ages!

Boolit Master
    In some areas of the country (eastern PA) they were a subject of controversy with haters and supporters in the deer camps(1960's-1970's). Failures to expand or 'blow-ups' were both presented by the 'knowing'. Bullet performance has come a long way with today's bullets providing consistent performance. Use them for jacketed load development, target practice, get a current bullet with known results for killin' stuff - include time, fuel, and game loss in the equation and modern bullets like the Nosler Partition start looking cheap for actual hunting.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLeverGuns View Post
    In some areas of the country (eastern PA) they were a subject of controversy with haters and supporters in the deer camps(1960's-1970's). Failures to expand or 'blow-ups' were both presented by the 'knowing'. Bullet performance has come a long way with today's bullets providing consistent performance. Use them for jacketed load development, target practice, get a current bullet with known results for killin' stuff - include time, fuel, and game loss in the equation and modern bullets like the Nosler Partition start looking cheap for actual hunting.
    I agree completely, and I am old enough to remember the campfire discussions about the performance of factory ammo. When you take everything into consideration, the slight increased cost of modern, so-called 'premium' bullets is really a minor consideration when planning a hunt. I tried using whatever bullets I could get hold of back in my younger, poorer days. Sometimes it worked out and sometimes it didn't. Lessons (plural) learned. I have friends who still criticize me for using a 'two-dollar bullet on a fifty-cent deer,' but that's okay.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    My cousin's neighbor in Penn. Raised pigs and late fall used to shoot them with a 30-30 and then butcher them for winter meat. In that area folks didn't have a lot of money so did their own slautering and butchering. He comes over ad asks to borrow my cousin's Marlin 93, my cousin had only a few rounds and had not gotten his deer for that year. Told the guy use my model 70 in '06 which was loaded with standard cup and core RP 180 grain softpoints. We wander to where the pigs were in their fenced in yard. Told him just put the cross hairs where you want the bullet to go. 6 shots six dead pigs. Found one of the 180 grainers on the off side and had expanded perfectly. Little noisey but did the job. Frank

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12